jehovah witness and christmas HELP - ProTeacher Community

lita

jehovah witness and christmas HELP
Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first time with a jehovah witness in my first grade classroom. My school goes crazy in Xmas. It's the most celebrated holiday. I want her to participate as much as posible so I'm trying to find suitable activities that fit everyone and don't remove the christmas spirit and won't ofend her parents.

This is what I have thought so far:

craft: We are makig a snowman that is a photo holder.

story books for the classroom: snowday, ginger bread man... I NEED MORE

chapter book for read aloud: ?

FILM: It we great that it went together with the film. What about mr. poppers penguins? I haven't read or seen the movie. Is it about Xmas?
I used to do: Home Alone...

Xmas card: ?

Fun activities: playing with shaving-cream-snow. Anything else?

Classroom decor: ?

Xmas concert: ?
I was planning doing a New year's eve party song. With kids wearing funny hats and party dresses. Is it ok? I don't know if they celebrate that...

I'm completely lost. Anyone in the same situation and we can help each other... Share ideas. please...

lita is offline   Reply With Quote

snacktime18

Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not been in your situation, but I wouldn't change everything just for this student. It's unfair to the vast majority of students who do celebrate Christmas. For example, the classroom decor does not need to be affected. Do the parents not take the kid out anywhere for a solid month and half because Christmas decorations are everywhere? I doubt it. A film that may work is the Polar Express. I know its Christmas related, but I think its more about the spirit than the actual holiday (have not seen in a while so I may be off). For a Christmas card you could have the kids draw a snowy scene with them playing in it. For fun activities you could use basic activities but simply use red and green colors (paper chain, weave pattern, etc.)
I'm sorry you are in this position. I don't know if these ideas helped at all, but I'd encourage you to still do some Christmas activties.
snacktime18 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've had students who are Jehovah's Witnesses in the past, and each year I always have several Muslim students. The Muslim families never object to anything we do, but I do like to be sensitive to all cultures, so we don't "celebrate" Christmas in my classroom.

Some years we learn about various holidays. I invite families in to share their traditions. I've had a Christian mom come in and share the Nativity, Muslim families share about Eid (which actually just passed this year), we might learn about Jewish traditions, Kwanzaa, etc. I've also had families send in traditional foods for our "party."

Most recently I've done a week's worth of gingerbread activities. It works for everyone (it's literature-based) and the children really enjoy it. There are so many versions of the story and things you can do. For our "party," we decorate gingerbread cookies.

I would speak to the parent of your student about your plans to help you come to a conclusion about what is best for everyone.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Christmas
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My Jehovah Witness this year does not celebrate anything. For Thanksgiving we only talked about the Pilgrims. I will be sending my Holiday plan to the mom and she will let me know what he can participate in and what he cannot. We learn about five different holidays celebrated in the winter months (we can't do only Christmas celebrations).

Since your school is all about Christmas, you might ask the Kindergarten teacher how he or she handled it last year. That might give you some ideas. Here are some things I came up with though.

Crafts:
Anything with snow, snowflakes, or snowmen would work well. Penguins and mittens work too. Check out these pictures I found on Google of different crafts for winter: https://www.google.com/search?q=wint...w=1280&bih=554

Picture books:
Here is a whole list of "winter read alouds" I found on teachingheart.com - http://www.teachingheart.net/winterread.html
Here is another list from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Picture...R3Q06PEIYVSM80

Chapter books:
Here's a whole other list for chapter books:http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=7981
My first graders loved listening to Mr. Popper's Penguins which is on that list.

Film:
I assume that if you can watch Home Alone, you can watch Mr. Popper's Penguins. Both movies are rated PG. Last year, the movie came out just after my students got out of school for the summer. I met a bunch of them at a local theater with their parents and we watched it together. We had lots of fun. Be forewarned though, it is very different from the book (though, that could lead to a good compare/contrast activity!)

Christmas card:
Could theirs just be winter themed and instead of saying, "Merry Christmas" (or whatever) say, "Happy Winter"?

Fun Activities:
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/winter/

Classroom Decor:
Snowflakes are your new best friend. You can use "Christmas" lights too. I keep mine up all year.

Christmas Concert:
You'll have to find winter themed songs. New Year's will not work. Our Jehovah's Witness students don't come to the concert and they don't sing the songs when practicing in class.

You should really start with Google (that's where I got all the websites from!).

Good luck! It's not that bad! There are so many ideas out there, I'm sure you'll find more than you could ever use!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

lita

Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you have been really helpful!

As you suggested I talked to their previous teacher but she didn't change anything and this girl stayed in another classroom. I don't want her to feel that again. I'm going to adapt as much as possible...

lita is offline   Reply With Quote

hello3

Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not sure of your grade level and your class diversity but I think this would be a wonderful time to have an international study. Really look into the culture of other countries, especially those represented in your class. You could share how fairy tales are taught across many cultures--Cinderella tale, Red Riding Hood, etc. If Santa Claus, Befana, St. Nick comes up--it simply comes up as a cultural focus.
hello3 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had a family who aren't JW, but had a lot in common with those beliefs. I tried to give the children choices...coloring pages with a snow covered forest or Christmas trees, etc.
Almost everything they make/do can involve choices. This way the child will still be part of the class.
The part about movies/books would be harder.
I say decorate as you normally would. As said, the family won't stay home for 6 weeks, avoiding EVERYTHING. I'd guess they don't expect you to change everything.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

booksrfun3

Old 11-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I've had J.W. students I did what pp did . . . winter'ish activities for those students (snowman, snowflakes, penguins, eskimos, etc.). But, I still did the Christmas stuff with my class. When I read a Christmas story I gave my student the choice of listening to the story or working on the computer with headphones. He/she usually chose the computer. I organized a December folder of activities for the J.W. students. After I explained what the class was doing, I met with the J.W. briefly to go over his/her lesson. The one thing I think that helped was I typed up an outline of my monthly plans and gave the parents a copy. The parents marked which activities the child could participate in. What I've found after having several J.W. students . . . some parents are stricter than others. For example, some parents saw Thanksgiving as history rather than a celebration so their children could participate in the lessons.
booksrfun3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherski

We got around this issue by teaching
Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

"Winter Holidays" around the world. We read books from different cultures & discussed the various holidays as celebrated in each culture. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Loy Krathong, Santa Lucia Day, Etc. Within this study we read books from Germany, Mexico, The Netherlands, Russia, and several other countries & discuss their cultural traditions to their holidays. (They are often similar to Christmas but they call it something else, or the dates are different for example; St. Nicholas Day)
teacherski is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

agree
Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

i agree with teacherski. My JW's were always able to listen to stories about the various holidays and even write facts about them. They were not allowed, however, to draw or color symbols of the holidays. I always give a winter themed book as a gift to my students and they were able to accept that. I think that you need to be sensitive to trying to think of activities that all your students can enjoy. Gingerbread theme was a great idea from PP. Or maybe a Mitten theme.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

turners1794

I have a JW
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a JW in my classroom ...the parent gave me a booklet at the beginning of the school year of the do's and don'ts. I really don't change what I do; except he has a choice to do something else during our Christmas activities or any holiday celebration. For example, during the Veteran's day program, a relative came and got him. They won't send him the day of the Christmas party. During art, music ,etc...if they're going to do something he can't I keep him and give him extra computer time, etc. The thing that bothers me the most is that he doesn't recite the pledge in the morning with class; he stands but says nothing.
turners1794 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
The thing that bothers me the most is that he doesn't recite the pledge in the morning with class; he stands but says nothing.
Why does that bother you?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

sevenplus
Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm curious about that too. We don't even recite the pledge at my school so it's a non-issue but in the past it was fine for my JW students to stand respectfully while we said it in other schools.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgracorn

Sneaky student
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I once had a JW student who choose to do the activities with the class but didn't take them home
2ndgracorn is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherfan

Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have a student who does not celebrate holidays (not sure if he is Jehovah's Witness, though). We do not "do" Christmas as a school, so I do a lot of winter related projects, mittens, snowmen, snowflakes, etc...

My student stands for the pledge but does not recite along with us, which I am fine with, although he always wants to lean over his desk and write, play, mess around, which drives me crazy!
teacherfan is offline   Reply With Quote

April Fools

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have a student who is Jehovah Witness. I spoke with his mom about some of the activities we had planned dealing with Christmas and her reply was, I don't mine him participating in these activities because these are things that you do in your class. During morning devotion he does not stand for the pledge but when the pledge is over he has to stand for the rest of morning devotion.
April Fools is offline   Reply With Quote