So tired of subbing - ProTeacher Community

kysub

So tired of subbing
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so tired of the sub rat race, fighting with other subs for jobs, playing AESOP bingo. My district hires 5 new subs a month. Seniority counts for nothing. Please pray that I get a teaching job. I am certified. My district will not even interview me for any open positions. Even after 6 years on the sub list. I would be happy with even an IA job. The district bans subs from a school and never tells them. The only reason I stay is for my two young kids. The nearest city is 40 minutes away, and I need to be here when they get out of school. I am just so tired of being treated like this by the district. Everybody here is related to someone. It is so depressing to be unemployed.

kysub is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel like I could've written your post myself. I actually had a full year LTS position last year that would've become permanent if PA's lovely governor (ughhh) hadn't cut funding to schools, which led to my district cutting my position. It was depressing enough before I had that position to be subbing all the time, even with the positives involved, but to be full time and then have to go back to subbing when you thought you'd never have to do it again... it is just soul-crushing. The nepotism in school districts is out of control, I feel you on that one, and a district that I put so much time into won't even give me an interview- they love me as a sub but I think that's the problem. Aesop is a pain- granted, I like being able to choose positions- but the fighting for jobs just plain sucks. Hang in there, you're not alone... take comfort in knowing that many, many people can commiserate with you. I find expressing myself through blogging and posting on here to be helpful. My blog can be found if you click on my username if you're interested. I just try to focus on the positive, or else I feel like the life will get sucked out of me! Some sarcasm, snarkiness, and humor helps me get by too.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

kimocartmenez

Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only sub who is sick & tired of subbing. I've spent 6 years in the game & I already feel that subbing can no longer contribute to my personal growth & teaching aspirations. I was also passed up for a long term assignment that should've been mine till June & I was the teacher's first choice & some random person was chosen when I had all the qualifications they don't have.

But I sympathise with your feelings because it sounds like your school district is extremely shady & I know my district is shady based on the mainstream press they received regionally in one of America's top 10 most populated cities for in-house corruption. Schools can ban you? Wow! That is cold-blooded. I wish I could tell you to network & to do anything you can to find out information about gaining an advantage in getting a job interview & hired.

I'm also tired of having a job but not having anything to do & not getting paid. It can make someone feel like they are inadequate, irrelevant, non-existent, etc. & I know those are feelings I struggle to fight off, everyday. I just hope I can go to school & get my credential because by this point, I know I can teach circles around many of the teachers in my district.

Best of luck with searching for opportunities & hopefully, you will get an opportunity to be a great teacher that students will always remember.
kimocartmenez is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Keep Trying
Old 11-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district bans subs too and never tells them. Usually it is the principal that does that and it really upsets me because I know of one principal that did that twice last year. One I can understand because she does seem "out-to-lunch" at times - but the other was a former teacher at the school for twenty years. NOTHING was said to her about it. I thought about emailing her and letting her know about what happened - but that would open a whole can of worms that I am not sure I want to get into. Also it bothered me that they didn't get to state their side.
Do you ever see any teachers? Do they know you at any schools?
I would suggest that if you don't already do it eat lunch in the staff lounge. Talk to neighboring teachers. And talk to the principal. Ask the p if she/he has a moment because you would like to talk. Let the p know about your frustration and how you would really love to teach full-time. Let the teachers and secretary know you want a full-time job.
I would apply to that other district. Just do it and see what happens. At least if you get an interview that will boost your self-esteem as a teacher.
Are you kids in school? Sometimes parents have their kids go to the school where they work. So if it was a different district that might not be bad.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

kysub

I was at one of the elem.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

ONE DAY IN 4 YEARS AND GOT BANNED! I just stopped hearing jobs on AESOP. How can CO take 1 teacher's word for banning a sub? I used to be requested there? I am certified, dually. I am good enough for the 7:15 am call, but not when a teacher has a planned day off? I am full of anger at the district office. I know it is not healthy to be this way, full of anger. If I did not have young kids to pick up, etc, I would seek other employment. I feel stuck. I am not driving 40 minutes one way for an $8 an hour job, not that I am too good to do retail. My unhappiness goes on and on. I am so unhappy subbing. There are no jobs in my little rural town. I hate being this way. The underemployed don't even qualify for benefits from the government.

catarific

Tired of Subbing Too
Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been doing this for 4 years and am just so tired of all the politics, favoritism, nepotism, etc. It doesn't seem to really matter how good a sub you are - it matters more who you know and who you are friends with. Many a time a job will become available but it never hits Smartfind Express - it privately goes to someone who someone knows. That's why even though there is a preferred list - it is meaningless because a teacher or the sub coordinator can bypass the system by putting in someone for the job. And funny how our subcoordinator's daughter always gets the long term sub positions without a college degree getting this position over subs who have been at the school a long time and who have been trained as teachers. And these schools don't even hide it - I guess it's just a way of life and that's how it goes....

Last edited by catarific; 11-22-2011 at 04:25 AM..
catarific is offline   Reply With Quote

kysub

Long term assignments
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

go to uncertified people in this county also.

teacherinWA

Uncertified
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really think that districts should rethink that policy of having people substitute without a teaching cert. Especially long-term positions.
If my child was in a classroom where there was a LT sub without a cert I would through a fit. I am sure there are some awesome teachers out there that do not have a cert - but I think that must be few and far between.

kysub - do you know why they banned you from that school? Or are you just now an emergency sub. We have those - they can only get last minute calls.
If it hasn't been that long I would call and talk to someone. The one person who I mentioned that was banned was said to have kicked a student. I know her and she wouldn't have done that. The parent called and talked to the p and she without talking to the teacher took the word of the student.

Working in a small town is very difficult. I feel for you. But humor is a great way to cope. Also venting and those two little ones too.

kysub

The principal never returned my phone calls
Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

CO told me to call principal; she never returned my calls. It was 2007 and 2010. I don't know. I never touch kids.

teacherinWA

They Do Not Get It!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know this must really be stressful. I know that it would drive me crazy. I pride myself on doing a great job and if I didn't get answers it would just make me obsess about it.

Also know that it might be something really stupid. I had a principal in training talk to me about how I walked a group of Ks to recess. It totally surprised me that she said the teacher was so upset about it. It was stupid. It is a small school. Some of the students were still at their lockers and she was worried about their behavior. I have to walk past them to get back to the room - so I would have taken care of them then. It is funny because I teach PT in the school and I see her doing EXACTLY what I did that day.

Are you able to volunteer one day a week? Maybe pick another school and see if you can volunteer one day a week as a math or reading tutor. I know you are in a small district - but that might help get your foot in the door.

It seems really unfair to me the system that is used in your district. It is so subjective - especially if you are unable to question the review. And I don't think that the teachers and principals realize how making these comments messes with your life.

I have only made one complaint to the district about a sub and that was because he didn't follow my lesson plans at all. He played his guitar all day and they had free time. I was teaching art at the time and this was the second time I had him as a sub. The first time I emailed him and said that it wasn't cool that I have a schedule for students to finish projects. We were working on ceramics so time is important. I feel that the professional thing to do is contact that person and let them know what the issue is.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Life can be so hard sometimes. It's not like we want the world - just a job. I guess like me - you have to believe it will happen and not give up trying.
donetoo!

donetoo!

I am done too!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't even think I want to teach anymore.
Teaching is not what it use to be.
On to a new chapter after this school year-good or bad!
I can't wait for the summer to refresh or regroup.
YoTambien

YoTambien

I So Hear You!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am working to change careers - have given up on teaching for now--too much politics, too many demands on teachers, too much inequity in the system--including how people are selected for jobs. My experience is that there is dysfunction in every workplace, but the school systems seem to breed dysfunctional staff members in alarming numbers!

Things I'll miss about subbing:
The kids!
The great teachers and staff I do meet
The school environment.
Learning different things in the curricula
Learning how to set boundaries and stick with them
The ability to never return to a school or class that I don't like

Things I WON'T miss:

Condescending people who pull power plays on subs
Assumptions being made about me
Feeling like nobody at work knows me
Not knowing where I'll be day-to-day
Jumping into unfamiliar situations
Navigating unknown schools and neighborhoods
The 5 a.m. wake-up and job search on days I'm not booked
The lack of vacation, holiday, sick pay, and benefits
Kids who gang up against subs for their own amusement
Not having my own desk and place to put my stuff!

To everyone who is still doing it--enjoy the ride--it has its perks. To those moving on: I'm right there with you--I've grown through subbing but I'm not looking back.
donetoo!

donetoo!

Love your checklist-YOTambien
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You should write a real "sub" manual.
Coldwater

Coldwater

done too
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It's nice to see others feel the same way as I do.