Cinderella - ProTeacher Community

Tulips

Cinderella
Old 11-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When you think of the original Cinderella story, which one do you think of? I always think of the Grimm version. I am planning a short survey/unit of fairy tales and wanted to include a few of the more original versions of Cinderella. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Tulips

Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When you say more original versions.......do you mean versions of the original story? Or do you mean variations?

I think of the version by Marcia Brown when I think of Cinderella. My favorite variation to read aloud is Dinorella.

Supposedly, the Egyptian story was the first Cinderella.

One of the most popular versions of Cinderella was written by Charles Perrault in 1697. The popularity of his tale was due to his additions to the story, including the pumpkin, the fairy-godmother and the introduction of glass slippers.

Another well-known version was recorded by the German brothers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm in the 19th century. The tale is called "Aschenputtel" ("Cinderella" in English translations) and the help comes not from a fairy-godmother but the wishing tree that grows on her mother's grave.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always think of the Charles Perrault version, and Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters (an African Cinderella tale). I'm not sure I've ever read the Grimm version. There are also new, funny versions like Cinderella Penguin. Scholastic has a teaching resource book called Teaching With Cinderella Stories From Around the World that may be useful to you.
CK2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Cinderella
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Variations, I think. I tend to think of the Grimm version of Cinderella, which is quite a bit different than the version the kids think of. I am definitely going to use Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters, it's one of my favorite stories. And then I'll probably use the Marcia Brown version. I know that there are a bunch out there, just perusing the shelves of my own kids, I found a few lesser known ones, and then there's Cendrillon by San Souci in our 4th grade text.
I think my kids have Dinorella too, I didn't realize it was a Cinderella story, I'll have to go back up and look for it.

Thanks!
Tulips

treetoad

Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

With each fairy tale I read Grimm First and list the characters on chart paper. We keep a tally and add new characters as we read the various books. I start with the Gingerbread Boy because there are so many new characters.

treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Fairy tales were passed down orally from generation to generation long before they were ever written down. The Grimm brothers traveled all over Europe collecting --- and writing down --- the stories.

So, an interesting note of trivia....

Cinderella was supposedly originally a French story, but at some point in the many retellings of the story in French, an error was made. The French word for glass is "verre" ( pronounced similarly to "fair" in English, but with a V and with rolled R's. ) But supposedly the slipper was originally made of "vair" --- which means "fur" -- ( pronounced the same as "verre" but without the rolled R's. ) Somewhere along the way, the R's were rolled and what were originally fur slippers turned into glass slippers. Much like the game of telephone.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks to all for the help! We did our mini fairy tale unit this week. I read to the kids, Marcia Brown's book (Perrault), Cinderella, then Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe, and the Grimm version. They were repulsed and delighted by the Grimm story. The unit was a big hit!

Thanks again!
Tulips