Old wedding ring into necklace? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

kidsrme11

Old wedding ring into necklace?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to have the diamond from my wedding ring ( divorced now) made into a necklace. Has anyone done this? Is it expensive to do? I was thinking of selling the gold from the band to pay for it. I've never done anything like this, but I am uneasy about trusting people. Advice?

klarabelle

Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had it done, I can't say the expense because it was a CHristmas gift from my parents and their friend worked for a jewelry manufacture. But I do suggest you go to a few jewelers for an estimate. I simple mounting should not cost too much, although I think gold is through the roof, so selling your ring will help.

MrsPic

Go for it!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My mother did this with her wedding ring following my parents divorce. She had it made into a ring for me and gave it to me for an 8th grade graduation present. She had our local jewelry store do the work (I'm from a small town), and I have no idea how much she paid. I was heart broken when the ring was stolen from my gym locker only two years later However, I think is was like therapy for her!

roo

Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had this done with my mom's engagement and wedding rings. I went to a trusted local jeweler and it cost about $200.

Button11

Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My mom did this for herself when my dad upgraded her engagement ring about 5 years ago. She LOVES it and I do not think it was overly expensive to do.

Chimneygrl

Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My sister and I got my grandmother's ring. We had to reset them into something that we wanted. That left us with the gold rings. We had them melted down and made into a necklace for my mother. She cried when we gave her the necklace before my sister's wedding. That was two years ago and she still talks about it. It was about 300 dollars and we added a pearl.

funkster

Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My daughter did this with her engagement ring after her divorce. She had a beautiful white gold open oval pendent made and the diamond is set on the side. The side diamonds were set in stacking rings and she bought a colored stone for a third ring. The pieces are lovely and not too dressy so she can wear them everywhere.
I don't know about the expense. Her best friend owns a popular jewelry company so she makes things for her without charging very much. She used the gold from the rings as well, but they do need to use some other gold in the melting process for reasons I don't understand.
I have considered using my original gold wedding and engagement settings to make the stacking rings too. I just haven't gotten around to it.