Distracted Child - ProTeacher Community

Guppy13

Distracted Child
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is a child in the classroom I help in that is so distracted. When we do math worksheets, she always needs help with everything. So I go sit with her and try to help her but she is constantly lifting the chair off the ground, spinning the pencil on the desk, looking around at everybody else in the room, asking random questions that don't pertain to math, etc.. When she finally answers the questionI tell her to pay attention and she giggles and pretends she doesn't hear me. Is there a way I can get her to listen and auctually work without being so easily distracted?

Guppy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

I see from your profile...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that you are a student teacher, so first of all, welcome!

What does your mentor teacher say or what has he/she tried with this student? If it were me, I would check on the child's birthday - she may not be "ready for primetime" - meaning that she may not be developed enough yet to complete the task w/o getting distracted.

She may be getting overwhelmed by the auditory and physical stimulation in the room, the worksheet may be too much visually. I could go on and on....!

Talk to your mentor and see what he/she says.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote