Question about SSI benefits for children w/disability. - ProTeacher Community

WestCoastTch

Question about SSI benefits for children w/disability.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I admit I am very ignorant of how most social welfare programs work with the exception of free/reduced lunches. I had a parent approach me with a question and I honestly had never heard of what she was referring to. Maybe you have?

I referred a student to speech, and the student qualified.

The parent asked me during conferences if I could help her with getting her daughter SSI benefits. My immediate response, without really thinking, was, "I'm sorry, for what?" She said that a co-worker of hers has two children at another school who receive speech services, and she collects benefits from the state for both of them. I said I had no idea how that worked. She said that schools usually have to fill out some sort of paperwork. I've filled out paperwork for lots of things, but never for this. I asked if she was taking her daughter to a speech clinic outside of school, and she said no. I referred the parent to the school psych and said she'd possibly have more information.

I'm curious... if a child has a learning disability or another disability like speech delay, they can qualify for SSI? The services the parent is using are provided by the school. The parent uses state funded medical care for her children. The speech therapy is provided by the school.

If I'm asked to fill something out, I'd like to know more about this in general.

dee

Fuzzy understanding
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My son qualified for SSI benefits because at the time, my income was very low AND he was disabled. I mean like really disabled with hospitaliziations, ongoing medical treatments, etc.

I do not believe it is an "automatic" and shame on anyone that abuses any sort of help system. I at one point was on food stamps and WIC, but worked my tail off to get off the benefits. Had it not been for my two young sons, I would not have applied or accepted any benefits at all.

So I'm not very helpful, except that I know that if your child is very disabled, and your family income is low, you can get assistance.

Laura

Filled out many SSI forms
Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will usually state in the form if the child will be receiving outside of school services. If not there is no need for this.
It is income based. I do not believe that you or I could get them for our children. It is also meant to defray costs of family provided support. So outside speech services or OT or whatever the child is in need of that the parent would have to take them to appointments or provide items outside of other benefits.
If I know they will not be used appropriately either I state it in the form or not fill the form out at all.

canteach

I have completed this type of
Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

paperwork before and had the same questions. I don't know much about it either. I just completed the paperwork and sent it back in the envelope provided as I recall. The application will be evaluated by Health and Human Services personnel, I suppose. I wonder if you google SSI if you would get information?

I ♥ cats

Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

http://www.ssa.gov/kids/

I looked it up because I've dealt with this a time or two with parents and was curious. I once had a mom who was trying to get her daughter diagnosed so she could receive SSI, even though the daughter didn't have special needs.

According to the website, "A child under 18 is considered disabled if his or her physical or mental condition is so severe that it results in marked and severe functional limitations. The condition must last or be expected to last at least 12 months or be expected to result in the child's death."

So, I am not sure speech services would qualify. I have a student who just started receiving SSI this year (he is severely disabled/mentally ill). Mom told me they were using it to buy a new 4 wheeler.

chronicfun

I have
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

no idea if the child will or should qualify, but the onus in on the parent to get the ball rolling with paperwork. She'd give you paperwork to fill out. If/when she does, just fill it out honestly. If I remember correctly (I filled out just one form like this as a teacher) you mail it directly to the agency, the mother should not see it.

Ima Spedtcher

Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know if it is different in different states, but here if a child has a disability and the familiy's income is low enough they can get SSI even for something like speech. The family has to go through SSI to apply and SSI sends forms to the school for input.

Personally, I do not think this is right. Most educational disabilities such as speech, SLD, etc do not cost the parents any money. The school provides all services for free. Even for our students with disabilities who require outside services those are provided for free from other agencies such as our department if health. We even have state programs that offer free services such as diapers and respite for our very severe children.

We have had many parents who have really PUSHED to have their child labeled as disabled for SSI. I sat in one meeting where the child had previously qualified for speech services and had made huge progress and was doing very well academically who no longer qualified. Instead of being happy, the mom started yelling at the child for doing so well. She said, "why did you have to do so well at school? I don't care if you want to be smart, you have just lost our family $500 dollars a month!"

I also hate that it depends on income rather than need. I had another family who was not rich, but not poor who had a severely disabled child who really needed a wheelchair that the family couldn't afford. The mom ended up quitting her job to get the child to qualify.

linda2671

SSI benefits
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When my disabled daughter was starting school, the school encouraged us to apply for SSI. They said that she should be receiving it at that time because at some point she was going to need it for her housing, and you never know when the government might stop allowing it. I didn't like the idea of accepting SSI, but the school pushed it. We took her for an evaluation at the Social Security office, and they said she had to be disabled in three areas in order to qualify. Maybe that was because we both were working, I don't know. She easily qualified, since she had severe disabilities in speech and language, mental retardation, and was wearing braces on her legs at the time. We had to send our tax information to them every year, and they adjusted the amount she received according to our income. During that time, there were a lot of expenses that were covered by those funds. Sorry, but a half hour of speech therapy twice a week at school was nowhere near adequate. We had to drive her to the city 40 miles away 3 times a week, and take her to a private physical therapist as well. There were also medical tests that had to be done that were not covered by insurance (genetic tests, growth plate tests, eeg's, mri's, etc, etc, etc. By the way, when an insurance company knows your child is mentally retarded or autistic or both, it becomes very difficult to get insurance. We were told by three companies that they weren't even allowed to quote us a figure.
Now that she is grown and is living in her group home, her SSI covers her rent and maintenance fee, but we still have to come up with her spending money and petty cash.
I know that there are many people who abuse the system, but there are many people who are really going to need these funds just to get by.

JacobsMommy

Ssi
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

DS is hearing impaired and receives 30 min/week of speech therapy at school. We pay for two 30 min sessions twice a week for private therapy. It is EXPENSIVE.

With that being said, although we have tried to obtain SSID, he has been denied each and every time because our income is too high.

They do not take into account that he has 3 separate disabilities, not one. (Only one with our income would be easily managed, but three gets tough.)

I think SSID is a joke and is highly abused. It makes my blood boil when people seek it out with NO intent of using it for healthcare. Don't even get me started on those who want it, but are on Medicaid. Why would they even NEED extra money to pay for healthcare when healthcare is already FREE?

On your questionnaire (which she should bring to you), simply state that the child is receiving services at school and although additional private services may help, the parent has stated she isn't pursuing it. There are places where you can comment if you think SSID would help a special needs child receive necessary care or provide extra play-money for a family. Just be honest.