90 minute reading block - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

KateKate

90 minute reading block
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a fifth grade teacher and we are going to start having a 90 minute reading block next year. I am trying to work on a schedule for that 90 minute block for all fifth grade teachers to use. I need some suggestions please. Thanks.

KateKate is offline   Reply With Quote

la44utk

Lucky you...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have a 90 minutes language arts block, and we're expected to fit in writing, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and reading. NOT ENOUGH TIME! If yours is just reading the whole 90 minutes, that's wonderful!
la44utk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have about 110 minutesfor my reading block.
I have
-20 minutes words study whole group- word stem of the week, story words, and sometimes spelling
-30 minutes whole group comprehension instruction based on a basal.
-60 minutes of what I call IRT- individual reading time
During this time, Students participate in reading groups, stations with partners, and silent reading. I, or a reading aide I have for 40 minutes every day, meet with my lower level students(the bottom 10) every day during this time. I meet with the rest of the students either in small groups or individually.

My special ed students stay for whole group word study and comprehension instruction and then meet with the resource teacher for the last 60 minutes.

My reading intervention students go to interventions for the last 30 minutes of the block so they don't do stations or silent reading.

My students' stations are word study, grammar, fiction, nonfiction, and writing. My students go to one station per day.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheers93

Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that a 90 minute reading block is not enough time. I am very fortunate to have a 120 minute literacy block. The break down is below.

I start with a five minute transition in with 6 + 1 trait activity as a whole group.

Next is about 30 minutes of silent reading time. I am meeting with students one-on-one and in small group to work on skills.

Following this is about a 10 minute vocabulary whole group lesson focusing on our vocab objective of the week.

Next, we transition into partner reading where students are in a leveled text and focusing in on our comprehension objective for the week. This goes for about 15 minutes. Students also have a graphic organizer in their reading notebook to fill out as a partnership. I will also work with partners who need extra support.

We go back to whole groups after partner reading and spend about 20 minutes working on comprehension as a whole group, using our basal series (Treasures.)

We follow this with a 10 minute lesson on grammar. Sometimes this is whole group, other times this is added into the writing workshop time because only a small group of students need to work on the grammar objective.

Finally, we have 30 minutes of writing time. Students are crafting pieces of writing, working on independent spelling activities, going to computer and writing fluency passages for me to listen to and critique after school, etc. I am meeting with groups of students for focus lessons on spelling, grammar, or writing traits. I am also meeting with students individual about their writing.
cheers93 is offline   Reply With Quote

kandcmom

90 minute block
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our 90 Min block DOES NOT include Writing, Grammar, or Spelling instruction.

My 90 min is broken into 45 min of whole group which includes: phonics, vocabulary, and whole group reading of grade level material. I use grade level material to work on the comprehension skill of the week. The second part of the block I meet with 3 of my 4 small groups to work on reading skills at individual reading levels while the other students are working in stations.

kandcmom is offline   Reply With Quote

la44utk

Now do you see my pain?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have to fit in grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, AND reading in a 90 minute block. It's impossible! And my grade is a state assessed writing year as well! My scores are always good, but I'd love to see what I could do if I had a more reasonable amount of time to fit that all in!
la44utk is offline   Reply With Quote

lynnylubner

I'm in Indiana...
Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The state of IN has required us to do a 90 minute uninterrupted READING block. This may encompass the five components of reading:
1. Phonics
2. Phonemic Awareness
3. Fluency
4. Comprehension
5. Vocabulary

Writing is not allowed unless it is a Reader's Response activity. Spelling is not allowed unless it's phonetically related.
The block may have content areas tied into it! So, if I don't get Social Studies or Science done, I can do it during my reading block. (Obviously reading related activities, not experiments or simulations.)

I LOVE the block! I am full blown into CAFE and Daily 5 (3 really!, since I don't do word work or writing).

Also, we're required in my district to do a Computer program called SuccessMaker and they are on it for 20 minutes most days.

I mostly do individual conferences. I do minilessons. The state of IN requires that we follow the scope and sequence of a state approved basal, so I just use the focus skill and focus strategy in my minilessons. I base reader's response off of those usually. I have a Greek/Latin roots book I use to teach vocabulary. (I don't use my basal series at all, with the exception of the scope and sequence and an occasional worksheet that goes with the skill/strategy. I may also use a lesson they have in the teacher edition to help me teach a skill/strategy.)

So a typical day:
25 minutes: First round of SuccessMaker, Read to Self, Buddy Read & I'm pulling student(s)
12-15 minutes: Mini-lesson (Skill or strategy based)
20 minutes : Second round of SuccessMaker, Read to Self & I'm pulling student(s)
12-15 minutes: Mini-lesson (Usually Reader Response or Vocabulary based)
25 minutes: Final round of SuccessMaker, Read to Self, & I'm pulling student(s)

Obviously that doesn't add up to a full 90 minutes, but it fluctuates! That's a general outline.

My read alouds go with my minilessons, and I tend to go over on those, even though my goal is no more than 15 minutes. But, if the read aloud is going well, it's hard to stop.

I do a Time for Kids each week, and I pass it out on Monday and they can work on that during their independent Read to Self time. It is due Friday.
I hope that helps! I've been doing this the entire school year and LOVE it!
lynnylubner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerri3

70 minutes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree that 90 minutes is NOT long enough, and I am expected to do the same as you in 70 minutes. not going to happen....
It should be 120 minutes minimum!
Jerri3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheesypoof

d5
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

CAFE and Daily 5 are brilliant. I am currently doing this. In between rotations you can do mini lessons on writing, spelling, vocabulary (10 min) and then continue with rotations.
cheesypoof is offline   Reply With Quote