Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

heart palpitations and chills after eating

>

funteacher7

heart palpitations and chills after eating
Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be going to the doctor but wanted to know if anyone has experienced this. I have been dealing with panic attacks for the last 3 weeks. I noticed they mostly came after I eat something that isn't necessarily healthy. I was doing good for the last week and have been carefully watching what I eat.

Last night I ate a small quessadilla nd a couple pieces of dessert. After eating my heart started beating fast and I got heart palpitations. Then I had some chills. After a while I was fine. Anyone experience this?

mhugs

thinking
Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

perhaps too many carbs in your system. Raising your blood sugar too high. sorta a shock to system. Especially if you hadn't eaten for a while.

h0kie

Dumping?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds a little like dumping syndrome. It mimics the symptoms of a heart attack. I've experienced mild dumping a few times and it isn't fun.

I'm not sure it can affect people who haven't had stomach surgery, so I could be completely wrong.

funteacher7

Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Forgot to add that I had my heart checked out and I its healthy.

MamaChickadee

Possibly
Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a friend who has similar symptoms after eating chocolate or anything with caffeine. She was even rushed to the hospital from school one day because the school nurse thought she might be having a heart attack. Hope you find out soon.

bobcat

have it
Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I experienced this the first time a few years ago in church. Got the chills and my heart was racing. Thought I was having a heart attack. During that time, I also had heaviness in my chest when I would lay in bed at night. I ended up in the hospital for 2 days while they ran tests. My heart is fine, but I was given omeprazole for gastric reflux/heartburn and had to stop all caffiene and chocolate. After being on the meds for a while, I thought my system could handle a little bit of regular coffee. Out for breakfast with my friend this summer and had some. Later that day I had an "attack" in the grocery store. Taught me a lesson. Stay away from it no matter what!! I hate that feeling!

patch41

I've had this, too...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At the beginning of this school year, I was under a good bit of stress and not sleeping well...so I decided to start drinking coffee in the mornings. I've never been a big coffee drinker, but I've never had trouble with caffeine, ever. Well, I started having panic attacks and heart palpatations, too. Also, just like you described, after eating. Once I stopped the caffeine, it took a while until I started feeling like myself again. Chocolate, eating a heavy meal, and overeating do this to me now.

I, too, had lots of tests done and there was nothing wrong. My blood sugar was slightly elevated. I'd suggest exercising more, laying off the sweets as much as possible, and eating smaller portions.
Good luck.

funteacher7

Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone! I have seen that eating small meals helps. And i miss chocolate!