Moving to Second Grade - ProTeacher Community

learntogether

Moving to Second Grade
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last week I learned that our small Christian school might be adding another second grade next year. I have always taught Pre-K, but loved second grade during student teaching and when I used to sub., so I requested to move. My principal told me today that she is pretty sure I will be moving to second! The current second grade teacher has already reached out to me to say she is excited that we will be working together. I am nervous about such a big change, but really looking forward to a new challenge. I have spent hours tonight reading second grade posts on P.T. and looking at second grade blogs...

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your new students will seem almost grown after your current class!
Have fun.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Great!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Change, though sometimes scary, is often good. If the current teacher is already reaching out to you, that's a really good sign. Part of my teaching time is with second graders, so I can tell you how much fun is it. One thing I really like about second graders is their sense of humor. Their jokes really are jokes! They can do some things independently but are still young enough to really love having their teacher's help at times. Most of my job is 8th grade and I have several who'd rather cut off their hand than admit they need help.

I'm excited for you! I think you'll love it.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 02-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks - I am excited!
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

chasey

I've done it
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My first teaching job was in pre-k. and I didn't have an assistant!! Well long story first I had to share, then I got one...but she was always sick. Let's just say I was ready to get out of pre-k.
I got a position in 2nd and loved it!! It was so great. With everything they have to learn more responsibility and want it. What I noticed was my 2nd year in 2nd. It's like you go back teaching young ones again Meaning you are so use to the big 2nd graders you previously had, then these little first graders come in...at the beginning they may remind you of the pre-ks!! lol It's a great grade though. Good luck and congrats

chasey is offline   Reply With Quote

lareadteach4

making the change
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will also be making a change to second grade after teaching 4th and 5th special education for that past 12 years. It is very exciting!! I am also looking forward to having a regular classroom setting and all of the challenges that come with it! Good luck to you in the new school year!
lareadteach4 is offline   Reply With Quote