Anxious Student - ProTeacher Community

emme161

Anxious Student
Old 02-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is dealing with some anxiety. She worries and then it turns in to a stomachache, shaky hands, etc. I would like to help her deal with these feelings. Do you have any strategies to help anxious students?

emme161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachin'4th

Breathing
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Talk to you school psychologist or social working, they my have some ideas or have groups available that would help this student.

There are also breathing techniques that have a calming effect.

http://yogainmyschool.com/2010/04/28...r-kids-take-5/

Is she able to keep an item at her desk for security (a small toy or photo)?

Make sure she is seating next to students that are least likely to promote the anxiety or give her the option to move seats as needed. I have a student that has the option to move to the back table if students around him are distracting.

Here are some other suggestions that consider sight and touch as well:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52901262/1...n-to-Calm-Down
Teachin'4th is offline   Reply With Quote

sedrait

my dd has anxiety and is in 4th too
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I take her to play therapy. We have learned many ways to help. In the classroom my dd has a tennis ball, silly putty, yarn for finger knitting (we learned on you tube) and a rubbery snake from oriental trading co. She uses each of these during class when she is feeling nervous. This is to keep her hands busy and not rip/pull at the seams of her clothes. This is what she was doing. Her clothes had to be thrown out. She uses these during many therapy sessions as well.

We also talk to her about the Big Deal O-Meter. We went over what is a big deal and what isn't. For example, a death is a BIG deal (we had a death in our family over xmas), but a math test isn't as a big deal. Or Mom and Dad go away and never come back, that's a BIG deal, but being late for school isn't.

Another thing we do is Dinosaur breathing (Yoga type) and we say I'm safe, I'm OK and I'm ready to do what I have to do.

I have other things too. Let me know if you need more ideas!
sedrait is offline   Reply With Quote