Hawaiin Theme - ProTeacher Community

bittysis

bittysis

Hawaiin Theme
Old 04-26-2007, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school has decided on a Hawaiin theme for next year. I am needing some Bulletin Board ideas - Something to go on my door, my AR board, my word wall, classroom helper board, etc. I teach 1st grade, and I really want to go all out.

educ8r

theme ideas
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did a beach theme in my classroom this year. My two bulletin boards were "Dive into _____________" (you can change it with individual units of study) and had lots of sea creature cut outs on it....and "Reading makes us BRIGHT" I had lots of sunglasses and sun cut outs.
In addition I had flippers hanging from the ceiling (purchased from the dollar store) and hula skirts as our calendar board background.
Also you can get blue metal garland (like Christmas tree garland) and hang it on the wall to look like water waves. I also spray painted a couple of adirondack chairs bright colors and used them in my reading center. The kids love to sit in them and you don't have to worry about spreading buggies like you do with fabric chairs!

Good luck!
educ8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchrgrl301

some more
Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

surf into reading or math

hanging loose in _________'s class or in room ________

Radical readers

Ride the reading wave
Tchrgrl301 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Other ideas
Old 04-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"Catch 'Em Being Good" was the bulletin board heading. This bulletin board was near the office.

Our school used the Ellison die-cut to cut fish, octopus, starfish, whales, etc. Then we watched for students who displayed postive behavior, wrote positive comments on the die-cuts, the principal read them during morning announcements, and the students came to the office for a "radical" pencil...it was very colorful. We got the pencils from Atlas. The positive comments stayed on this board for the entire quarter, and were then taken down, put in a bowl, and three were drawn for a school-wide award. This was done for each quarter.

I used clip-clops on my door at the beginning of the year. Another staff member used surf boards with the heading "Surfs Up in Room ______!"

At the dollar store, I bought leis in the party supply section. (They were cheaper than buying them from Oriental Trading Company.) OTC also have very good things like palm trees, pineapple, etc.

For classroom palm trees, I used the large tubes from carpet...tall, strong, and sturdy. I wound paper toweling around the trunk, and cut palm leaves from green bulletin board paper for the leaves. They were put in the reading corner...looked like a desert island. The leaves were attached to the wall or bulletin board, so they were very three-dimensional.

The lunch program even got in the groove...at the end of each quarter, they had Hawaiian foods for lunch...pineapple, ribs, etc. They decorated the lunchroom with palm trees and wore leis. The kids loved it!

On my classroom bulletin boards, I used light blue paper as the background. Then I painted waves about one third of the way from the bottom using blue paint mixed with white to get several different blues...it was cool!

Last edited by ConnieWI; 04-28-2007 at 05:36 PM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

oriental trading
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oriental Trading has lots of Hawaiin supplies and ideas. Use Google and search.

Get the book Chick A Chick Boom Boom. Hang letters on your palm tree. Put mini Christmas lights on your tree. You can buy a greem umbrella and cut your leaves in around the wires, put the handle down the center tube.

hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote
bittysis

bittysis

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for all of these great ideas. This will really help me out alot!

julesb

hawaiian theme
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also doing a Hawaiian theme this year. I am looking for ideas too. Here is what I am planning to do so far. For the beginning of the year I think that I'm going to use outside of my classroom "Look Who's Surfing into 5th Grade" The only problem is that I am having trouble finding surfboard cutouts to use. On my door, maybe ALOHA Welcome to Mrs. Barker's Class. I am planning to order a lot of my decorations from oriental trading. I thought about a grass table skirt around my teacher desk, leis streamers as border around my dry erase board, door streamers for curtains. For my Reading Corner, I am thinking about "Dive into a Good Book and Read." I thought about maybe having some pool floats for the students to lay on and read. I may use "Catch the Wave with Good Grades" to display student work. I am ordering some things to hang from the ceiling from oriental trading also. If you have or get any other ideas, please let me know. I am still in the thinking and planning stage.
julesb is offline   Reply With Quote
vannesa

vannesa

a hawii beach
Old 09-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

well i am just a little girl trying to make my teacher's classroom into a hawii beach. what i was thinking was like have a volleyball net in the middle of the classroom but move all the desk out the door then sprinkle a little bit of sand on the floor but as soon as the teacher comes in the room we pop out and say surprise and we give a luau outfit then we play the music and we get all the girls to go the board and we try to do what we think a hawii girl does

cardsmom

HELP! Pictures please!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Will you post pictures of your classroom?
cardsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
jmcclelland

jmcclelland

Hawaiian theme
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We found a book from the Good Teachers Convention. It had a whole class theme with surfers riding surfboards and they changed the t-shirt to match a standard for the month. It's called Classroom Couture and it is by Cheryl Lane and Alison Scranton. Hope this helps.