Xtra Math Help - ProTeacher Community

mathfactshelp

mathfactshelp

Xtra Math Help
Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a second grade student who has been using Xtra math now for two years. He picks up on math concepts very quickly, so it doesn't seem to be really a math problem here. The problem stems from him leveling out in Xtra Math. His score has stayed basically the same since September, hovering from 78-85. Have you had students level out and stay there? I'm wondering if it's more of a typing speed issue than a math facts issue. He does tell me that he does not like Xtra Math. What do you think? Any suggestions?

bells4me

here are few ideas
Old 02-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids 'level' out too but not for that long! Has he leveled in both addition and subtraction?
-Maybe he needs an additional challenge.
-Does he use the "telephone" pad? My kids do better when they use this. Down on the bottom right of the screen click on the 'telephone' pad of numbers. A 'pad' of numbers will pop up and now the child can click on the number/answer instead of typing in the number/answer. This might help speed him up a tad.

-I will give my kids paper mad minute when they seem to be in a rut.
bells4me is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

xtramath
Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a couple kids who aren't making progress. After watching them andlooking at their report i have determined that it is not so much that they don't know their facts,but the mistakes that they make because they are trying to be fast. I have tried to explain to them that the program won't count the fact as matered when they keep answering it incorrectly. I have told them it is better to be slow than wrong.if you see reddots on their report, they probably have the same issue.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote
mathfactshelp

mathfactshelp

Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for your suggestions. He has used the telephone pad maybe about 1/3 of the time. It didn't seem to make any difference, but maybe I'll suggest he only use that for a while.

He doesn't usually miss any questions at all. In fact, it's a rare day where he does miss one. I think his dislike of being wrong is part of what is slowing him down. I hate to encourage speed in that case.

I have had him at addition most of the time just so we could get that one done, but I have let him do subtraction and multiplication just to give him something different for a while. Then, we go back to addition. It's almost like his 85 is the best we're going to get, and we should just move on. I hate to do that though. What do you think?

Thank you again, and I welcome any other suggestions!

PUKO

speaking of Xtramath.org
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a student who has mastered the "addition" and "subtraction" programs/facts for 1st grade, when I go in to "change her program" it tells me she is done, I tried to change her grade level to 2nd to get her into the "addition and subtraction" program with no luck- it still tells me she is done. Any suggestions?
thanks.

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

xtramath
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Send them an email. I had a question for them today and they answered right back.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When you are logged in you can select a student. After selecting the student you will see some choices on the left hand side. Choice "change program" and you can see additional choices then. You can add multiplication or decrease the time for add/sub (Advanced 2 second threshold).
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

Xtramath is not for every student
Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've had several students plateau and really get frustrated with not being able to make progress. Some get really nervous with the whole timing of the the questions. It is just one of many tools we can use to promote speed and accuracy of basic number facts. Sometimes a few weeks break can make all the difference. I had one student who hated it so much I just had her do "all the facts" worksheets instead. I must also say, I have many students who love it and ask to do it more than once a day.
Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote