Student Led Conferences - ProTeacher Community

LorettaLynn

Student Led Conferences
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are you doing for your term 2 student led conferences? Ideally I'd like to set up 4 stations: Rhyming (game or picture match), Math (number memory game), Writing (journals and printing) & Alphabet (sound sort, upper/lowercase match).

I'd love to hear what activities, stations, etc. others are planning on doing.
Thanks!

LorettaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

MissSarah8884

Yup....
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's what we did. We had a checklist that the student picked up on their way in and a poster that had specific directions for the student and the parent - all in the hallway; that way the kids were really leading it, I got some work done sitting at my desk and helping only when needed. The checklist for the student had a picture that matched the picture at each station & then there was a task card at each station. For the parents, there were also "parent prompts" for them to ask their child about the subject/activity in case the child was shy and they don't know what to ask.

Our Stations:
*Reading: Re-tell your favorite book of the author we are currently reading & put words in order to make a sentence and read it.
*Writing: Sharing a journal entry.
*Math: could choose any everyday math game to play with mom/dad
*Meeting: The student led their favorite part of morning meeting for their parents.
*Working Station: Explain the rotation chart & this week's stations.
*Centers: Explain how you know which center to go and your favorite center.
*Portfolio: (We have kept a portfolio of sample work all year.) Show your best piece of work and show how you have improved from August until now in your learning. Share your personal reflection (easy self-reflection the kids filled out/wrote on then was glued into portfolio)

It was a bit long - but the kids did awesome taking the lead & working on presentation skills and showing what they know

We also asked that siblings stay at home or wait in the hallway - this was a special time for all attention to be on only the Kindergarten student.

I also did modeling and explained it before-hand so that I didn't have to do anything as far as giving instructions the day of.
MissSarah8884 is offline   Reply With Quote