Teachers Pay Teachers - ProTeacher Community

kitty11710

Teachers Pay Teachers
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am considering starting a TpT account. I know it has been talked about a lot here. Two silly questions for those of you that do it:

1) Is it really worth your time? Do you make some decent pocket change?

2) What resources or programs do you use to make your stuff cute? I've read that the cute items sell the best!

I'm looking to just add money to my savings account and this is motivating me to make even more awesome stuff for my classroom when I can, so that I can also post it. I have been trying to get a tutoring job on the side to help my savings,but this in economy no one in my area can afford to higher one. So TpT is worth a shot I hope!

kitty11710 is offline   Reply With Quote

dearduckyduck

Oh goodness...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No advice from the point of view of a seller.

I certainly know I have spent money there, and I only discovered it!Plus, I don't even have my own classroom yet!
I love that I am supporting other teachers. It will be the first place I head when I need something for my classroom or tutoring. I would much rather pay another teacher than some publishing company.
dearduckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

sra_E

Love it
Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't posted but have gotten some GREAT resources there!! Browse regularly.
sra_E is offline   Reply With Quote

BestYet

A while back
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the news carried a story of a teacher that made a tremendous amount of money. Look at the TPT site they will help you answer some of your questions.
I have also shopped at Teacher's Notebook, too.
BestYet is offline   Reply With Quote

hockeygirlie

Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This may be an odd question but because this is on the subject of TPT, do you have to claim this income on taxes?

hockeygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote

cteacherrun

TpT
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm both a buyer and a seller. Yes, it is really worth it and you do make decent pocket change. Once you upload your item and write the description, you are done. You get email messages when someone buys something and/or leaves feedback. It runs itself! Some teachers make tens of thousands of dollars a year. I'm sure those teachers have to pay income tax, but if you're making just a small amount of money, you don't. Just by submitting digital things that I make that work really well in my classroom, I make a couple of hundred dollars a year. That just about pays for what I buy on TpT, so I break even.
I don't know how to make things "cute", but I agree they sell better (from what I can see). When I buy "cute" things, they always have the source of the graphics on them. Perhaps your could buy a few and find out.
I would encourage you to be a buyer first, or at least check out all the free stuff. See what you like and look at the selling helps.
cteacherrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

Tpt
Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am so glad you asked this question, because I have been wanting to do the same thing. I even bought really cute clip art and resellers rights as well. Unfortunately, I have figured out how to use the clip art yet!
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

hockeygirlie

Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just can't imagine being able to make annual income on this without having to submit some sort of tax forms. Maybe I can find an answer on the website. Hmm.
hockeygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM79

Making them cute...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There are different licenses you have to purchase from the graphics companies in order to be able to sell products that you create with their graphics, and you also have to be very careful because copyright infringement goes for graphics as well. I have even seen some licenses that you have to purchase just to use the graphics and post your creations as free items. There are some good ones out there, just be careful!
MrsM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

taxes
Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I always look at is as it's something you'd probably be making anyway to why not try. By the way, TpT sends you a tax form to fill out once you get going.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

sciox2

new seller
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I started selling in March, and I am impressed with the site. I love when I make something new for my students, and i can just add it to my "store", and thats all I have to do. You can jazz up your items, add clip art (make sure you know your copyright stuff), and fonts to make it more attractive, but the work of creating the document is something teachers do anyway. If I am looking for something to use with my class, it is the first place that I look because most of the stuff is made by other teachers, and I would want to support them, rather than a publishing co. Also, the things are reasonably priced. I don't want it to seem like I am advertising my site, so I won't post a link, but you can find my store if you look up my user name from Proteacher. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Jen
sciox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
emilyjohn

emilyjohn

TPT program?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What software to you generally use when you are creating TPT products to sell? Do you use Microsoft Word, or Photoshop, etc.? I have no idea where to get started on the graphics/fonts side of things...

ms.ally

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been thinking about starting to sell as well, however the whole copyright thing with fonts and clipart just makes me nervous so I have not.
I would also like to know what programs TPT sellers are using?
ms.ally is offline   Reply With Quote

sciox2

software
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I use powerpoint to make my stuff. Its easier to move text and clip art around. Then i change the slides over to PDF files so that no one can copy and past anything and use it as their own.

As far as copywriting, it does take some reading to figure it out. Once I find an artist who sells clipart or fonts, who allows others to use it on TPT, then I usually stick with them. There are lots of threads about copywriting once you are on the TPT website.
sciox2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher

Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Oops! I just realized this thread is old. Sorry!

Last edited by mrteacher; 04-13-2013 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Used the search function and didn't realize the thread was old.
mrteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Siraya

Siraya

Clip art and program
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I get my graphics from mycutegraphics.com (they are free you just have to credit back) I find digital scrapbook paper for backgrounds, and I use power point and save to PDF for my program