kindergarten homework - ProTeacher Community

xnanny

kindergarten homework
Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi I am wanting to revamp my homework. I am so bored with it that I imagine my kiddos must be too. I usually give them a math page that reinforces the lesson of the day, new sight words they write 5 times then on the following days they write them in sentences or they have a work page. They also read each night and log, they also do a book report once a week. Any suggestions? any good sites I could get sight word homework for free? thanks to all in advance.

xnanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

I do monthly
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I got it from Kellyskids dot com. I am not sure if that is the real web address though.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

canIplease

Spelling City
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your school or district subscribe to Spelling City. If so you can put in your list or somebody else may already have them in and the sheets are ready to go. I do scrambles, alphabetic order, missing letter, and then there are great games to play with them on the whiteboard. I would also go to Teachers Pay Teachers a lot of the downloads are free and they have some great sight word activities.
canIplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Romime

Homework
Old 03-11-2012, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also send home a "Poem of the Week", usually pertaining to a topic of study (i.e., dental health, weather, holidays, days of the week, months of the year, seasons, etc.). I usually assign three or four directions which might include: circle punctuation, highlight word wall words, look for rhyming words, make new words from known words, make predictions, draw detailed illustrations, etc. After talking about the poem during the week, I add it to a notebook that stays in the reading corner in the classroom. The children enjoy reading and rereading the poems throughout the year.
Romime is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That sounds like a LOT of homework for K. I'm pretty anti-homework. All my students do is read and record books on a log.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lorraine2

Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with sevenplus - daylight savings time is here - warmer weather. they should be running around outside.
Lorraine2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

instead of the book report for a change of pace:

I had my students watch an anime they liked and had them write about it like they would a book report.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

OMG, I can't imagine my k having that much homework every night. As a parent I would be so upset.

Let's let them be kids for a while at home please.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If my memory serves me correctly don't the kids in the USA have 3 months of summer plus 3 weeks of winter break and a spring break and various other days off (holidays and inservice days) to be kids?

All I know is if I don't give challenging homework I have a mob of passive aggressive parents at my door.

sevenplus

Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly don't the kids in the USA have 3 months of summer plus 3 weeks of winter break and a spring break and various other days off (holidays and inservice days) to be kids?
I prefer my kid to be a kid 365 days a year.

Romime

Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I wish the school system/state would allow us to let kids be kids!!
Romime is offline   Reply With Quote

Girly10

Why so much homework?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am going to step on my soap box for this post, I apologize, but it must be said. Why do we feel the need to push our students so hard at the age of five and six? They are kids and need to learn to get along with others, how can they do this if they spend their entire evening doing homework? It has been proven by many studies that homework in the elementary years can have a negative impact on students learning especially in Kindergarten. (Here is one example: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/ma...ln-lede-t.html)

I have very high expectations for my students and push them hard all day so they leave Kindergarten meeting the high standards that have been set for them. When they leave my classroom, they need time to breathe and PLAY, just like the rest of us. Thankfully we have administrative support and a strong Kindergarten team that stands up for what is developmentally appropriate for our students.
Girly10 is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

I love
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

sending home games for my students to play with their families. Kids too often these days play video games and don't learn how to play other type games.
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I send a calendar home for the month and the students and parents choose up to 25 of the 30/31 activities. It might be something like this (and the activity does not have to correspond with the date):

March:
Read a story aloud to your child each day and.......
1. Count out the correct number of plates, forks, spoons, etc. and set the table for the family.
2. Go to the grocery store with a parent/grandparent. Discuss which foods are healthy, which of two brands of the same product costs less, etc.
3. Attend a puppet show at the public library
4. Have your child help you sort the laundry
5. Cut pictures from magazines of things beginning with the letter B.

You get the idea!

The parent circles the number of each activity which was completed.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

A few things I do...

- Math games - I send home a zip-lock bag with a math game.

- Literature bags - Zip-lock bag with a book and paper for a written response. For example, Chrysanthemum and the written response is to tell how they got their name. I love this one because it get the child and parent reading and writing together.

- Reading books from their reading group

- Word pattern practice - use cards to make words with different word patterns and they write the words in a journal.

- Sight Word practice - I send home a list of ideas for practicing the sight words. I really emphasize fun ways to use the cards, rather than just flash cards.

One more thought on the amount of homework... My students really enjoy homework. It is fun, hands-on, and an opportunity to "show off" for their parents everything they are learning in class. I also tell my parents that homework should never take more than 20 minutes. So, if they don't get to everything that's fine. If a child wants to spend longer, that's fine too.
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

SarahLouWho

Ditto to sevenplus
Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I do some at home work, but not a lot. I do a poem of the week every other week that goes home with the kids (with a couple activities related to the poem) and am just starting my home reading program. I also do take-home bags, but those rotate through the students so only 2 students a night take one home (sometimes they are math or LA, other times it's just sharing a book we made in class). I also have high-frequency words that I send home with the kids. They get 5 words at a time to take home. They bring them back when they have mastered them and I give them 5 more. I have some kids that are up to 40 words and some that have never brought the words back. But I don't push it. It's great if families want to participate, but not required.
Personally, I think K is too young to be doing worksheets every night. Is K homework something that is required by your school/division?
SarahLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
I prefer my kid to be a kid 365 days a year.
I guess we will just disagree then

Quote:
I am going to step on my soap box for this post, I apologize, but it must be said. Why do we feel the need to push our students so hard at the age of five and six?
My guess is because other countries are much farther ahead with students that age.

I've already babbled about my class and the kids here so no need to repeat the same stuff.

jacobsen329

Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I love the idea of the monthly calendars with ideas for the parents to actually do something with the kids instead of sitting and doing homework. YUCK! Do you happen to have any of these (or all of them) that you would like to share BioAdoptMom3?
jacobsen329 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am very glad I'm not in the Japanese culture, but I suppose if I was born and raised there I'd probably agree with that approach.

Still, I think it's very possible to let "kids be kids" and also help them stretch to reach their full potential. Some things are developmentally appropriate and some aren't. They can play and learn at the same time. My son was sounding out words by the time he was 3 and is reading well above grade level now as a 1st grader. Never once did I push him, nor did I make him sit down and do worksheets. Making learning fun is not that hard. He spends his evenings outside playing. I am so glad that even his first grade teacher understands the importance of this.

However, I don't think worksheets are appropriate at ANY grade, so that's the perspective I'm speaking from.

Mr Sensai

Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I am very glad I'm not in the Japanese culture, but I suppose if I was born and raised there I'd probably agree with that approach.
I feel the same way about the USA. Lived there for 5 years and a nice place but culturally not for me. I am not Japanese but I prefer the culture (for the most part) here.

Quote:
Some things are developmentally appropriate and some aren't. They can play and learn at the same time.
I guess it depends on what one feels is appropriate then. Also it is not like learning is boring and we chain the kids to the desk over here. ha ha. They also are active as well.

Like I said we have a huge difference of opinion on this matter.

readfirst

My district
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

has 1 week at Christmas...sometimes 10 days, a week in Feb, a week in April and about 8 weeks...July and August...we end the last Friday in June.

I know they "need to be kids," but however, the Common Core Standards as changing all of our lives. What we used to teach in K is now taught in PreK...so our curriculum is really first grade. With expectations so high, homework is necessary and in an Urban, struggling district, anything we can do to help them keep on top of the curriculum, we do.

I give 1-2 sheets of homework and a sheet of math each day. Reading 20 minutes per day for Book It is also included. I have had pretty good success with homework this year (first time back in K in 12 years) as well as the nightly reading. My kids are doing a good job academically, too.
readfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

frostadue

Nightly homework
Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

here. the assignment is 15-20 minutes of homework each day. The studies are in and students have a 28% increase in learning gains when they have homework. I am astonished by the impact it has had on my class this year. I firmly believe it is due to the increase in parent involvement. We have fun friday for the last 1/2 hour of the day free centers, raffles where students win prizes for centerwork and a special juice and snack. Students who get 3 frownies for their behavior or students who do not complete their homework by Friday do not participate. Parents are aware of it at the beginning of the year and sign a contract.

I have 100% participation, my learning gains have dramatically increased, the students love school and from where I am sitting they are still being kids.
frostadue is offline   Reply With Quote

frostadue

oops
Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

forgot to attach the template we use when designing our weekly homework. I thought you might like to look at it. We use this template and just change the pages by using printscreen function and worksheets we find on the web or on our curriculum websites

sorry apparently my upload failed pm me and I will email you the word doc.
frostadue is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'm curious about the "studies." Alfie Kohn addressed some of Marzano's studies on homework in his book The Homework Myth. I haven't verified his facts, but I certainly agreed in theory with everything he wrote!

mrs. kaiser

homework in Kindergarten
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I send home a packet with one activity or worksheet to do each night and read one baggie book then return the completed packet on Friday. I have had a good turn out with this approach. In the packet is one math, one letter or sight word page, one blank page for writing (like writer's workshop, where they can write a sentence and draw a picture) and one home-school link page (where they have to work with their parent).
mrs. kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote

BusyMommy3

Homework in my room....
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

This may not be the correct way of doing homework, but this is how we do it. It works for us.

Monday-Take home book.
Tuesday-Take home book & 1 math sheet (review of Mon & Tues lessons)
Wednesday-Write Sight Words-1 Sheet
Thursday-Take home book & 1 math sheet (review of Wed & Thurs lessons)
BusyMommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote