Cancelling a Job on AESOP - ProTeacher Community

wnlbutterfly

Cancelling a Job on AESOP
Old 04-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went back and was reading some posts (mostly Bob's) on the AESOP, like I said we are new to this system and apparently using the bare bones.

However, I noticed that several mentioned having to call in to cancel a job. We don't have that here. Our AESOP we have a little "trash can" that we can cancel the job online. That option isn't there when it gets really close, maybe 24 hrs, not sure since I don't cancel much (have only done so twice), and I assume we would call the school directly as they didn't give us any phone numbers to call in this situation.

Now the problem with this option on the school districts side is that subs cancel short notice, of course they don't call in, and we have had the situation where there is no sub for a classroom (guess AESOP didn't get it filled in time). Just like if a teacher calls in sick after 7:30am, it has to flip to doing it the old fashion way of just calling around, the AESOP won't (maybe that is the "failure to fill"?). Within a month of using AESOP, one 5th grade class had two "no shows" on subs.

But I have to admit, it is a lot easier to just click a button and cancel the job than to have to call and get it "approved". The only teachers that have liked AESOP here are high school and it is because they don't have to get ADMIN approval for their absences, and they don't really care who is subbing in their classroom. Grade school teachers aren't happy, but I think if they could get the "save and assign" they would be okay with the system.

And someone else mentioned a feedback system with the AESOP, we don't have that either...I would welcome that myself. Of course we don't have as many subs as some districts do.

So I have learned a lot today! THANKS Laura

wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobthesub

Bobthesub

Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,

"However, I noticed that several mentioned having to call in to cancel a job. We don't have that here. Our AESOP we have a little "trash can" that we can cancel the job online. That option isn't there when it gets really close, maybe 24 hrs, not sure since I don't cancel much (have only done so twice), and I assume we would call the school directly as they didn't give us any phone numbers to call in this situation."

Are you a teacher or a sub? Two of my districts use the "trashcan feature" and two do not. I'm not sure how a teacher would delete an absence.

"Now the problem with this option on the school districts side is that subs cancel short notice, of course they don't call in, and we have had the situation where there is no sub for a classroom (guess AESOP didn't get it filled in time). Just like if a teacher calls in sick after 7:30am, it has to flip to doing it the old fashion way of just calling around, the AESOP won't (maybe that is the "failure to fill"?). Within a month of using AESOP, one 5th grade class had two "no shows" on subs."

If I were the principal of that school I would call the missing sub(s) on the carpet and tell them if it happens again they could forget about subbing in the district (or at that school). I only sub for school districts that use Aesop so I can check it if I forget where I need to be on a given day. In eight years of subbing, I've never missed an assignment.

So I have learned a lot today! THANKS Laura

You're welcome

Thanks

wnlbutterfly

A Sub
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a sub....I don't know how teachers cancel jobs. I would say if using the bare bones AESOP, probably have to get the principal/sec to change it. That one that got cancelled on me was done online, and the AESOP sends an email telling me it was cancelled.

I don't know that this sub was "called" on the carpet or not. I think technically she did what she was suppose to (that she could cancel the job online) but somehow it fell through the cracks on getting it reassigned. I am not kidding....the kids were in the classroom, they were a little louder than usual so the counselor (whose room is nearby) stopped in to see what was up and there was no sub. What is worse is it happened TWICE within about 2 weeks. Very very odd. Of course it didn't help that it is the sub that used to be into drugs and the teachers don't trust her with their classroom. Rumor has it she is still a sub because charges weren't pressed (on the drugs), and she has a lot of lawyers in her family (well known family here). So the district is leery of lawsuit by completely banning her from subbing.

In four years I have canceled twice, both due to illness. My husband has even taken a day off to stay with a sick child when I was already booked to sub.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I forget how many hours in advance a job has to be canceled where I am - 12? Can't remember, I've never had to do it before. But if you try to cancel past the deadline, AESOP just won't allow it, I don't think. In case of an emergency cancelation, I guess you'd have to call the school directly and explain why you need to cancel. As far as teachers canceling, it seems that ours have a longer "grace" period than the subs do for canceling an assignment...but I could be wrong. However, I think that I've had a job canceled less than 8 hours before it was to start. And of course, you are not given a reason why, which is a little unsettling...

Anyhow...I once had a teacher insist that she had canceled her sub job before it went out in the system...but apparently not, since I took the job! Turns out, she didn't need to be absent, so I was paid for a half day to run errands in the office and put kindergarten scrapbooks together. (They must pay us at least a half day here if we show up for a job that's canceled.) In that case, I am not sure if it was human error or computer error!
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

thiswayup

Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have the "trashcan" also. We also have a deadline when we cannot cancel. I have only canceled twice and both times I have emailed the principals and told them why I canceled and when I canceled and they have emailed me back to thank me.
I always worry that the post could "fall through" the cracks even though I cancel way ahead, that's why I email them.
I wish we had the feedback on our system, too.

thiswayup is offline   Reply With Quote