Non-renewed and need advice - ProTeacher Community

beccasue14

Non-renewed and need advice
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi PT,
I am a seventh year teacher who was moved to a new grade this year. My class was stacked with several behavior problems and managment has been a nightmare. As a district, we are going through a "culture shift" and they have been changing the way everything is done. Everytime I received feedback I adjusted to what was being asked of me, and I went as far as asking for help with classroom managment because I was having such a difficult time with this class (to give an idea, three teachers with a total of 50+ years combined experience moved up to third grade to avoid this group of students another year). I have been very proactive and made adjustments that have contradicted what I know to be best for students, however despite all of this, I was told that I am being non-renewed because I lack managment, planning and organization skills. The example that I was given for this is that I am over on my copies and did not properly utuilize our district's print shop. Needless to say, I am more than a little upset. I have talked with my union rep and I can resign, but forfeit but unemployment rights, or I can take the non-renewal. After reading several threads on here, I feel more comfortable taking the non-renewal and do not feel as though it is a "kiss of death" to my career. However, I need some advice. What do you put on job applications when they ask "reason for leaving last position?" I want to be truthful, but at the same time, I don't want to just put "non-renewal. Would love any advice you have....
Feeling overwhelmed.....

beccasue14 is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

so sorry
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I don't have much advice for you but I feel for you!!! You will find a place that appreciates you. Maybe you can tell new places it was a nonrenewal bc of budget cuts..it sounds like that was part of it and school don't care about that. Hang in there...don't let this beat you down! you are a GOOD teacher.
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Non renewal is code for not enough money and not enough seniority. Don't worry too much. Get good references from someone if you can and get out of that toxic place. You will be fine. Just do not share negative details about the past year with your next employer.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I put, "Despite positive evaluations I was not a good fit with the building."

I agree with getting references and letters of rec from team members, literacy coaches, etc in the next week or so (before things start hitting the fan).
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First of all, I'm so sorry. Being non-renewed is very demoralizing. I've been there. I went on to find another school that appreciates me.

Just wanted to point out that you may still be eligible for unemployment if you resign. I was non-renewed and the union told me that I could still receive unemployment even if I resigned, because it was considered "resignation under duress" (in other words, if I hadn't resigned, I would have lost my job anyway). Double check on that.

But, if you are comfortable with non-renewal (and I think it probably is just fine), just go with that. You need to think of a way to spin your reason for applying to another school. For each place you interview or apply to, think of a reason that you'd prefer working there. Is it closer? Do they have some teaching philosophy that you prefer? Is the opening for a grade level you like better? Each job may have something different that appeals to you.

If you have to put a "reason for leaving last position", fill in that blank with whatever fits well for that job. If that job is closer to you, say that you left your last position to seek employment closer to home. Make sure that you never put down anything that indicates any bitterness or negativity towards your old school, though. Act like you loved it there.

teenytiny is online now   Reply With Quote

leofenderfan

Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Take the "N.R." At least you can get unemployment insurance while looking for another job. Don't worry about your resume. LOTS of quality teachers have not been renewed because of budget cuts. Good luck ((hugs))
leofenderfan is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Agree with Anna
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Around here, non-renewed means either budget cuts, or the principal is doing a favor for someone and is hiring someone's daughter, friend, ex-babysitter, or is helping out a fellow principal and hiring someone the other principal suggests.

Totally not a big deal around here. Just means no seniority!
dee is online now   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think this happens to a lot of teachers at some point in their life. I went through this years ago because I worked with a principal who had no leadership skills, was an illegal drug addict, was a back stabber, etc. I only worked in the school for one year. He didn't seem to like me very much, even though he hired me. I have gone on to be very successful elsewhere. I think that what will matter for you in the long run will be your record as a teacher and the references you will gather from people you work with who appreciate your skills as a teacher.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Could write tons, but won't
Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Just want to add one thing.

Quote:
I have talked with my union rep and I can resign, but forfeit but unemployment rights, or I can take non-renewal.
That's not necessarily true. I resigned last year. I received unemployment compensation.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

beccasue14

Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Are you in Colorado? Does this work the same from state to state? I'm so confused.
beccasue14 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

To be on the safe side and avoid an unemployment hearing, do not resign.That makes you look like you voluntarily gave up your job assignment.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Nunziata

I would speak to a private lawyer
Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would speak to a private lawyer, but my gut says I would take the non-renewal, as long as it doesn't ban me from teaching in another school in the district.

In my state if we think we are not going to be approved for our standard certificate and/or get tenure we are told to resign. This way the paperwork stops.

Since you have been teaching more than three years I am assuming this doesn't make a difference on your licensing.

I would take the non-renewal and do what others suggest. Either state it I wanted to change grades, schools, be closer to home, etc. or that it was due to budget cuts.

I would make sure I had parent, students and teacher references. Students can be little "love notes" that we get all the time. Parent are positive e-mails or letters you received. If you have a parent that you feel would write you a letter of recommendation I would ask for it. I would ask for letters from co-workers and any supervisor that will give you a reference. I would even ask the person not renewing your contract. If the letter isn't nice you don't have to use it. If it is nice use it. The letter may tell you what verbal comments will be made about you if a prospective employer calls for references.
Nunziata is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

I've been there
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was non-renewed three years ago during my first year of teaching and I thought my life was over. I took the other route and resigned in order to save my career and even though I was sent into a serious Depression (which I"m still fighting now), it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I was without work for a year and a half although I did subsitute for that following school year, it gave me a chance to start on my Masters Degree and look for a job. I must've passed out over 200 resumes gone to 100 interviews till I met the principal that I now work for. I also switched grades and nearly didn't get Elementary certification because the depression had really taken control. Now, I'm recovering, happy and healthy in my new job and I love Elementary compared to Middle and High School.

Talk to your Union Rep, get a lawyer if possible and have all your documentation ready to go. Take the letters of recommendations with you and make copies, I still used the ones from my college professors and cooperating teacher when I student taught and still got the job that I am in now.

I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt!! HANG IN THERE IT CAN AND DOES GET BETTER!
UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote