Boys room smell - ProTeacher Community

rubyanne

Boys room smell
Old 03-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My boys room smells. They are pre-teen/teenagers lately their room smells musty even after washing the sheets and cleaning their room. During the summer I can air out the room but I don't want to lose heat when it is cold out. How do you get the boy smell out? Is this something I'll just have to live with?

Alicia G

Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My 13 yo's room stinks too (and the word "musty" that you used describes it perfectly -- not out and out BO but sort of old grease). I just try to air it out when we can and not go in there unless I must.

Sorry -- it's universal.

Zaphod

I know what you're dealing with
Old 03-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My sons room is the worst. The only hope is him moving out to attend college. It can't happen soon enough. I'll have to burn the carpeting.

subczy

yup
Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I change sheets often. Use fabreeze the bedspread chair and curtains daily. Keep shoes in front hall w those scented balls in them. Dirty clothes in hamper with a plug in next to it. It all helps along with forcig showers before bed . Good luck

Ima Teacher

Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Umm . . . yeah . . . boy smell.

I'd say cut your losses and just close the door to the room and open the windows for 30 minutes or so. Heat loss vs. overpowering stench? Easy answer.

There is a good odor removed called Zorb-X that works basically like Febreeze, but it's not scented and doesn't "cover up" with another scent. I buy it at Lowe's. It's pricey, but it does work. It's good on those things that Febreeze just can't handle . . . and boy smell is one of them.

I used to use Oust in my classroom when I taught all 7th grade boys all day long. Over 100 pre-teen/teen boys really made my room stinky. There weren't any soft surfaces for the stink to get into, but my room was yucky. I'd spray my classroom in the afternoon before I'd leave, and it would be better by the next morning. They don't make that kind of Oust anymore, though. Too bad.

mhugs

check the shoes and sneakers
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daughters soccer cleats use to be so bad they had to stay out on the porch. The sweat gets in the leather and foam insoles...

audriana

Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I open his bedroom window and close his door and then "seal" in the stench by spraying fabreeze all around the doorway so none of the funk leaks out.

Ugh. I really don't know why it gets so funky (and don't really want to know). He showers daily and washes his clothes, but lawsy that room gets funky.

bookgeek59

Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't have any kids at home, but I've taught middle schoolers long enough to recognize the stench of puberty. And the girls can smell just as bad- they just bathe more often and use perfume.

Here's what I would do:
step 1-spray the stripped mattress with white vinegar
step 2- spray shoes with Lysol
step 3- open the closet and dresser drawers and hose it all down with white vinegar spray
step 4- lightly sprinkle baking soda into the carpet
step 6- open the window
step 7- close the bedroom door
step 8- come back in about 30 minutes and vacuum like crazy

I know you said you don't want to lose heat, but it's just as hard to bring the temp back to normal in the summer when you're running the AC and open the window.

rubyanne

Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks. It is good to know I am not alone! I like the idea of sealing off the room until they go to college .

chronicfun

boys are stinky!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My ds is only 8 and he already has that older boy scent. Yuk. At least he likes to shower.

Zaphod, I had to laugh at the burning the carpet strategy! Do you just have the one son or do you have any daughters?

JulieP

You give me no hope.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My DD is only 7. She and her friends like to wear slip on shoes without socks which DD has now extended to all shoes. Those girls can stink up a room. It's not just boys.

Tulips

boy smell
Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've sprayed the carpet with Lysol and that seems to help. In the summer we shampoo the carpet often, it seems the smell gets into the carpet.
I wonder if sitting a box or a couple of boxes of baking soda in the room would help?

Tulips

Munchkins

I feel your pain
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My older DS is worse than my younger DS, but they both can stink up a room. Check the pillow- it absorbs their sweaty boy head smell. And make sure they don't have any dirty laundry anywhere in their room. As far as burning the carpet- I'm with you. When's the bonfire? Yep. Teenage boys are smelly. Who knew?

Angie

DS is 15...
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Tis a daily battle... airing out the room only helps while the windows are open. I would leave them open all the time, but this is west texas.. land of the brown skies and 60 mph winds... I am gonna try the vinegar thing. I can't do lysol due to a severe allergy. Maybe baking soda in the carpet as well...

coppsma

I have boys!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Two boys now in their twenties. I know what you mean. The more time they spend in the room with the door closed, the stinkier it gets. I think it has something to do with the oils in their skin. One of mine has outgrown it and he airs and Febreezes his room constantly. the other still carries the odor; he has very oily skin. Air the room, change the sheets at least weekly and wash in hot water. Get extra pillow cases cuz they sweat a lot. Change pillow cases more often and replace pillows if they begin to smell. Add ammonia or bleach every other wash. If you feel those chemicals are too harsh, try adding washing soda to the load.

Don't let them keep every day shoes in the room either. Febreze helps a bit, but fresh air is best. Also, the dirty clothes hamper needs to be emptied often if they have one in the bedroom. When ds1 moved out it took weeks for his room to smell normal with me airing it out even for ten minutes in very cold weather.
Gigglesann

Gigglesann

Teenage Boy Funk
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank goodness I'm not the only one with a smelly teenage boy! The funk creeps into the rest of the house when his bedroom door is open. Sometimes HE even smells it. It is an odor like no other. It is a personal musky odor that reminds me of what an animals den might smell like. The sad part is my son is very neat and clean. Showers nightly and keeps his room spotless. He himself doesn't stink, but his room makes me gag. It has nothing to do with dirty clothes or shoes. We use vinegar in a glass to absorb odor and open the window when possible. We also used air freshener that spritzes every 15 minutes or so. Nothing works as well as fresh air, though.