Words their way... - ProTeacher Community

lala30

Words their way...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to get Words Their Way word sort activities set up for my classroom (3rd grade) and was wondering what sort of things I should be preparing. I have done the assessing and grouping, but now what?
Does color coding the word sorts work best?
How do students manage the material and not always "lose" them?
What are some ideas that have worked well in your classroom?
Are there some of the students favorite ways to sort?

Please help with thoughts, ideas, suggestions, failures, successes.....

lala30 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtoread25

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used Words Their Way in my first grade classroom all year and I love it! This is my first year to do this so I am by no means an expert. I still have much to learn and try, but this is what I've done this year.
I assigned each group a color. On Monday, I work with each group doing a demonstration sort with guided practice. While I work with one group, the other groups are either doing independent sorts or they are Reading to Self (Daily 5). I have the students write their initials on the back of each picture before they cut them out. They practice the sort several times a day while I monitor or work with individual students. The sorts are stored in ziplock bags inside each student's word work folder which they keep in their desks. During the rest of the week, the students do independent sorts on their desks, glue and label the sort, do a blind sort (explained in the book), and take a test on Friday. I choose words for each group and then I call out a color and give them a word. I repeat the word 3 times and use it in a sentence before giving the next group their word. The first few times, it was a little confusing, but the students finally figured it out and now I have no problems giving the tests. I have seen big improvements in their spelling. I recently gave the spelling inventory again and was amazed at their progress!
The best advice I can give you is to just jump in and start. You will learn what works best for your class as you go! Happy sorting!!
luvtoread25 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

See These Posts
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=368026

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=367002
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote