Classroom supply budget - ProTeacher Community

rillaGurl

Classroom supply budget
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We just found out today that our classroom supply budget (per room) got cut by 40% for next year... This cut actually puts our spending amount at a 55% decrease from 4 years ago. Anyone else in the same boat?

rillaGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

rwinters

Budget
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I lost mine two years ago. However, the school is picking up items needed for specific extra that are needed but not much more than that. I've found that I not buying things like the basics either like I had to in the past.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Classroom Budget
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We haven't even heard if we are getting one this year. Last year all of our orders had to be placed by April 15th. This year, we haven't heard a peep about it. I would just like $100-$150 to get basic supplies!
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

fishingforfun

supplies
Old 03-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We don't have a budget for our classrooms. Basic things are supplied for us (tape, staples, paperclips). If we need anything else, we have to purchase it ourselves.
fishingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We don't have a budget at all, similar to PP, we are provided the office-style basics, and our school writes out our supply lists for what the kids bring (which includes hand sanitizer, tissues, and ziplocs) but we also do get (within reason) unlimited paper/copies, black and white only. So, that's... I guess, how they rationalize it. Could be worse!

MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

budget
Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The past 3 years we got $100 to purchase anything and everything we need for our classrooms for the year, including all office supplies, which our school does not provide.

The kids do bring supplies, but we've been told to keep the amount we ask them to purchase under a specific amount so we can't ask them to bring in more than the basics.

I've spent around $1,500 this year so far. And I'm far from being a new teacher!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We haven't had any money for over five years. If we need it or want it, we have to purchase it.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymity

Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

public, inner city school. we get no supplies or spending money for supplies. it gets expensive if we want to do a project with 34 kids in our class.
anonymity is offline   Reply With Quote

SavTeacher

No supply money
Old 03-30-2012, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Im in my 3rd year teaching, and I have never gotten a supply budget. If I ask the ladies in the front office nicely, they'll give me basic office supplies if I need it, but paper clips, dry erase markers, pencils, pens, EVERYTHING is out of pocket if we want it.

I've started putting up Donors Choose projects at the end of the year that stay up until the beginning with basic school supplies in them. This is the only way my kids get glue, colored pencils, crayons, pencils, etc.

I teach high school, and it's rare when a student brings anything besides a pen and some paper.
SavTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Penny

Tax deductions
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Please don't forget to deduct educator expenses on your tax return! The first $250 are deductible by everyone, above $250 can be deducted if you itemize your deductions and if the amount is more than 2% of your total income. (This 2% deduction category contains other things as well, such as professional dues and subscriptions, safe deposit box rentals, tax professional fees, etc).

I know it isn't much, but at least you don't have to pay tax at all on that first $250. If you don't have receipts for everything, but you paid with a credit card or debit card, you can look up the amounts on past statements.

I'm trying to think of any other profession where being good at doing your job requires out of pocket purchasing of supplies! All I can come up with are social workers (who also don't make tons of money! and work for the public good!).

Most of my expenses come from buying books - as a CommArts middle school teacher, I want to entice my future students to read as much as possible!
Miss Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

classroom budget
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow I didn't realize that so many schools give their teachers a classroom supply budget. I am on my third year teaching at a charter school and have never had a supply budget. We also aren't allowed to send school supply lists home with our students... according to the admin it's because each student pays a $25 supply fee at the beginning of the year. What would be awesome is if we saw some of that supply fee or if we could at least use a certain % for classroom supplies.

ALL supplies, and I do mean all come directly out of my pocket. So scissors, crayons, markers, pencils, paper, etc I have to pay for if I want my students to have it. We are allowed to post a wish list but unfortunately we don't get many donations, only from those 2 or 3 parents who are super involved.

Due to this, I really don't do a lot of the things throughout the year with my students as I would like because I just can't afford it. Especially since we make about 20% less than the public schools in the area to begin with.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote
NoAccess

NoAccess

Fees
Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wow, your charter school needs to be clear about where the $25 is going. It could get in trouble!

yesteach

threads like this...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

make me so thankful for my school district. I buy much of my own stuff, because I'm picky.. . I want specific things, or cute ones, but we do have access to order from Staples, and can order basic office stuff for classroom use. Paper is provided, and I've only been on one campus that limited use. And every grade level has a specific amount they can spend on classroom materials - books, manipulatives, center materials, etc.

Have those of you without budget tried DonorsChoose? I started doing small projects for just paint and brushes, or construction paper, card stock, etc. If you keep it under a couple of hundred dollars they are easier to get funded. I have a ton of art supplies that I'd have had to justify to use budget, but with DC, I just ask..
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Wow
Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am completely blown away on how little your schools provide for you. I just don't get it. We are provided office supplies and construction paper. We get unlimited copies at the copy machine.

We also get a budget to order items from lakeshore or other catalogs. We also get a $100 to Walmart or the local grocery store for special projects. Our budget has been cut drastically too. Students do need to bring in their own school supplies like glue, markers, crayons, and pencils. It's expected and you don't get too many that don't.

Besides that our district is debt free. This almost something unheard of in this day and age. We also don't charge any fees for the students.

After reading your responses, I am so grateful for my district.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote