TEXAS TEACHERS ..HELP!!!!! STAAR crisis! - ProTeacher Community

kwoods2820

TEXAS TEACHERS ..HELP!!!!! STAAR crisis!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok friends... here is where I am ... state of panic!!! We have been asked to come up with a plan to review for the STAAR tests - both reading and math by our principal. So here is the dilemma - how are you guys preparing and or reviewing for this . I can plan for TAKS review in my sleep but the STAAR - not so much. Any ideas of resources - activities - mini lessons ect you and your district may be using??? help !!! so at a loss!

kwoods2820 is offline   Reply With Quote

jdme

STAAR prep in Texas
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

a teacher store in the dallas area says that the resources from "green apple" are selling like crazy. they said they are having a hard time keeping the resource on the shelf. if you buy online, you are purchasing a digital download, which is nice because you get it right then. i just bought a couple of books today and feel lots better about having something to use as we hit crunch time.

http://greenappleeducationalproducts.com/about/

our district's ISTs have only endorsed the gayle fuller book, step up to the TEKS. it is a bit hard though...as STAAR will be. :S my children's school uses iReady and STAAR ready from curriculum associates. Good luck!
jdme is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

STAAR review
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are using the Gail Fuller book, too. We also have been using Motivation Reading this year. The stories are harder, which we are hoping is more in line with STAAR.

For our last few weeks we are focusing on reviewing one math objective per week, then giving a "benchmark" test on Friday that is half the length of the STAAR (based on what we know about the length that TAKS was). We reward those who make at least an 85 and show their strategies. We also give a reading benchmark on Friday. That one is two stories long. Our principal makes the test, so the teachers have not seen it ahead of time, just like the kids. She's been pulling from a number of sources including released STAAR questions, CSCOPE, Motivation Reading, even other states released tests!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

Staar
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are all in the crunch---I just keep reminding myself that this year is a Pass it doesn't count--has really helped reduce my stress....
Like everyone else which is the best company for any type of test prep...
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote
ldfish

ldfish

5th grade
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What we are doing is taking a benchmark (tomorrow) and then each of our 5 reading classes will have information on what skills to target. We planned weekly comparisons of a fiction, expository, and persuasive or procedural texts on the same topic, ex: Titanic. This way we are spending one day a week on each genre (teachers know what skills to focus on). While reading students are reviewing and discussing key elements, TEKS and using graphic organizers. the 4th day we are comparing the three selections using triple venns, three column compare and contrast chart (worksheetworks), etc. 5th day we TAKS practice the Scott Foresman TAKS Practice is pretty difficult and has lots of the comparison it is now downloadable for free

dsteffens

dsteffens

teacher 3rd grade
Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are in the same boat. We have no idea where to turn, we have tones of thing that the kids can do that help them get ready for the TAKS, but where are the STAAR versions of these resources? Maybe those that write the books are as confused as the teachers.