Beach Theme ideas needed - ProTeacher Community

New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

Beach Theme ideas needed
Old 05-03-2007, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to creat a beach theme for next year. I've read the archives posts and I'm looking for new ideas on how to decorate my room, bulletin board titles, and names for centers that have a beach theme. I would love to hear any ideas.
Thanks!

scrapbooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Beach Theme
Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To decorate your room you could use beach umbrellas, beach balls, beach toys used to make sandcastles (pail, shovel). You could also have seashells to use in decorating. You could create bulletin boards with a blue background and then use brown bulletin board paper to create the sand at the bottom. Then you can place or draw a beach umbrella with a beachball and a pail and shovel. You can have a welcome title on this bulletin board that says "Learning Under the Sun" or "Fun in the Sun" or "Learning is Fun in the Sun" or "Welcome to the Beach of Knowledge" or "Welcome to Knowledge Beach". I don't know...something like that I guess.

Here are some links with Beach Theme ideas to help you out:

http://www.teachingheart.net/beachteach.html

http://stepbystepcc.com/beach2.html

I hope this helps! Take care and have fun with your theme.
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4TX

Island theme this year
Old 05-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a beach/island theme this year, and it was a hit with the kids, parents, and other teachers. I found lots of ideas here on Proteacher last summer.

You can go to my website and view pictures of my classroom. www.mrsaprilriley.com (click on Classroom Photos) You can also look at my Newsletter for some "beach-y" sayings/titles.

I added/changed a few things as the year went along.
teach4TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Beach theme
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a beach theme this year. In my reading corner of my classroom, I (slightly) scrunched blue plastic wrap and stuck it to the windows. I put cutouts of fish on the blue windows. I also found palm tree lights and hung them in there (I don't ever think I've plugged them in but the kids got a kick out of them). In the opening to the reading corner I took 2 tiki torches (I took the torch part out) but attached a sign between the 2 posts that read "Readers' Beach" in colorful letters. I draped a colorful string of flowers over the sign. I also put 2 plastic beach loungers in there for the kids to sit on while they read. They are great because they are indestructable and easy to clean.
I had various signs/bulletin boards around the room: Sea of Smiles has pictures of all the kids with the name of each child written below (I teach 1st). In every book, there is a treasure. Surf into First Grade (a welcome b.b. in the beginning of the year had a different colored surfboard for each kid with their name on it.) Whale of a Word Wall. Center tubs read: Hooked on Center 1 (graphic of a fish hook), etc...
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

hcolema

Great Room Ideas
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a new teacher and I love your ideas for a Beach class. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your class. I would love to see them. If you don't mind.
Thanks again

hcolema is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4TX

Pictures
Old 05-07-2007, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my above post I provided a link to my classroom pictures. Scroll down and click on "Classroom Photos" and then also be sure to click on the classroom door to see the inside of my room.
www.mrsaprilriley.com

I'm sure a lot of other posters have great pictures to share also! I'd love to add more ideas for next year!

hcolema

Pics of Class
Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi Tiffany,

I was wondering if you had any pics of your class? I would love to see how it looked. It sounds really cute!!
Thanks
Heather

Rach

Beach theme too!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Scrapbooker...I'm planning on doing a beach theme next year too!! Maybe we can share ideas.

Teach4TX...I love your beach pictures. I may "steal" some of your ideas. I wish I could have someone build me a cool beach porch like yours. I love it! I also like the awning you have over the door. It's a grass skirt, right? How did you make it?
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

Beach Ideas - Sharing
Old 05-09-2007, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi Rach -

I'd love to swap ideas with you as we both build our beaches!! I teach 3rd grade in Indiana. Contact me at my school email and I'll give you my home email so we can keep in touch throughout the summer.

Anyone else want to join us on the beach???

scrapbooker
ctrapp@tsc.k12.in.us

hcolema

Beach Days
Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hey Scrapbooker,

I was wondering if I could join you guys on the Beach. I am a new teacher but would love some input.

Thanx,
Heather
hcolema@gmail.com
New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

Beach
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sure! The more the merrier! Anyone else interested? Email me at school
ctrapp@tsc.k12.in.us

I'll compile a list of interested people and then send out email addresses for all interested. We can share our ideas through the summer. Or... we can just keep posting here so everyone can benefit from our brain storming.

scrapbooker

FxyWhtCoco

Oh Yea!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

More teachers with a beach theme! I'd love to update my beach/sea theme!
FxyWhtCoco is offline   Reply With Quote

KYTeach

Murals
Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love your room! I am in a room with no windows, and I need to brighten it up. I have been looking at ideas, and your sunset mural at the computers is awesome. I also love your area with the palms and birds. How did you do them?
KYTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

NiCole80

Beach theme
Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would love to swap ideas with you about a beach theme. I did this last year and would love to add to my room. I teach 4th grade on the MS Gulf Coast. My email is ntalley@jaco.k12.ms.us.

Thanks
NiCole
NiCole80 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4TX

Murals
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

"I have been looking at ideas, and your sunset mural at the computers is awesome. I also love your area with the palms and birds. How did you do them?" -- KYTEACH

So simple! I purchased "scene setters" from a couple of area party stores and then stapled them to the wall. The murals are actually plastic cellophane type material w/ the scene printed on it.

They were pretty cheap. I found the sunset mural at Garden Ridge and it came w/ a LOT of feet; like enough to cover an entire wall! (cost about $17-20) I found the mural w/ palms & birds at Party Warehouse, I think. (cost about $8-12) -- 2 panels came in package

You can search the internet for scene setters and find many varieties!

gayla311

beach theme is looking like a winner...
Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am hunting around for a great classroom theme for my first year teaching! I was considering a rainforest theme, but after reading all of you guys' great ideas, I am seriously thinking about joining you all on the beach!

Mrs. Riley, your beach porch is fabulous! I don't think I know anyone who is that construction/building-savvy! What a great idea, though!

I would love to join the "beach theme club" this summer and share ideas. My email is
gayla311 AT msn DOT com

If I come across anything great, I will post it here!

Thanks for all the great tips!
gayla311 is offline   Reply With Quote
New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

Beach ideas
Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Many of you emailed me about sharing beach ideas through our own email. Instead of doing that, let's share through this wonderful site!

I'm excited to hear ideas from everyone! If you have pictures, please feel free to share those as well!

Rach

Beach ball
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Just thought I'd share:
I purchased a beach ball at Walmart the other day. And I had my students from this year sign it. I'm going to hang it somewhere next year to go along with the beach theme.
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Auntie Siggy

Auntie Siggy

2nd Grade Teach
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I had a fleeting thought that I wanted to have a "themed" room next year . . .and began perusing the web to get ideas. I haven't even had time to look at the incredible pictures I've read the descriptions of - but I know I'm going to do a beach theme next year! I teach in an "open" school so I don't have 4 walls, but I'll be anxious to use as many ideas as possible. I'm glad to collect shells for anyone needing them for their room . . . a definite "perk" of living near the beaches of Clearwater, FL . . .

FxyWhtCoco

The picture I promised!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Here is a picture of my Behavior Bay!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

ConnieAlpina

Beach Theme
Old 06-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am a new teacher. I will start teaching 2nd grade in August and also want to do a beach themed classroom. I was on Oriental Trading last night and got great ideas. I also got great ideas through your thread and would love to be included in your beach brainstorming group.

cafink0204@comcast.net

Thanks!

Connie
ConnieAlpina is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieAlpina

Surf Board Carpet
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I just went to Target and they have the most adorable, colorful surfboard carpets at 75% - costing under $7. They are a nice size for maybe a reading center area.

FxyWhtCoco

I ran across this...
Old 06-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

During my searching for ideas I found this today...

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ead.php?t=9683

There are several ideas not previously mentioned!
New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

Surfboard rug
Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Those rugs sound really cute! I couldn't find any surfboard rugs in my local Target... (Indiana)

Which section did you find them?

marie1234

Behavior Bay
Old 06-20-2007, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

How does this work? Do you mind explaining?

thanks in advance!
marie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

I found neat ocean things
Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I'm so excited about my lucky shopping today! I found many neat ocean/beach items at Michael's, Jo Anne's, and Kohl's...everything was on sale, too! You might want to check it out!

I'm planning on a relaxing beach theme...not too many bright colorful things. I like to do seasonal decorating, so I need to keep my beach neutral.

I found palm trees today and unfinished aidonack (sp??) chairs. I plan to paint them a soft yellow or soft sage green.

Anyone else finding things???

jen517

Target
Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Target's outdoor section has great chairs and such. I found these adorable bright striped kid's beach chairs with little bug faces on the backs, beach balls for $1, beach buckets for storage, etc. I love that store...
jen517 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunsky778

Loving It!!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Hello everyone.. I am so glad I found this post. I too am going to be doing a nautical beach theme. I love your ideas. I am a new teacher in a school that uses a lot of skipper type themes and sailboats. So that is the base for my choice. I will post all of my ideas here too
sunsky778 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunsky778

Chairs
Old 06-23-2007, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I love the adirondack chair idea Really super!
sunsky778 is offline   Reply With Quote

FxyWhtCoco

Marie1234
Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Behavior Bay is a classroom management board that visually shows the students how their behavior is through out the day. I have 4 colors=
Green - Great Day
Blue - Warning
Yellow - Loss of recess or lunch detention
Red - Phone call home

There are warnings/suggestions for improvement between each color... just a way for me to communicate "how their day was" to the students and their parents. It is a building wide system for my school.

You can tell which students are "behavior challenges"... their pockets are falling off from turning their cards so many times!
JBS

JBS

New to 6th grade
Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I'm in on the beach theme too. Where did you find the anorondak (sp?) chairs? How much ere they? Think I'll hit Target tomorrow.
New Member PM

scrapbooker
New Member PM

adirondack chairs
Old 07-02-2007, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I found the adirondack chairs at JoAnn's craft store. They were 1/2 price!...around $25.

I also found a cute patio set with table, umbrella and 4 chairs on clearance at Wal-Mart for $50!! I'm planning to make it look like a thatch umbrella by adding grass skirts (also from Joann's) to the umbrella.

I'm definitely a bargain hunter!

If your town has more than 1 Wal-Mart, check all of them for the best price. My town has 3 stores and only 1 had the patio furniture marked down that low.

ConnieAlpina

Target Sale
Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Sorry for the delay in responding about the surf board rugs. I found them in the bedding department - not carpet/rug section. Also, Target has a Tropical bedding line that is marked down. I bought a grass bed skirt I plan to use on my windows. I bought a full size and I will just cut out the center of the bed skirt and velcro onto my windows. I also bought a cute clear shower curtain with a Tiki Hut/palm trees at half off. Today I found the bed sheets with a cute monkey surfing/palm trees also half off. I may use to drape tables. I can't wait to put it all together in my room!!
Reginamoon

Reginamoon

Wonderful
Old 01-20-2008, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Im not a teacher but a parent . I love your theme. The children must love to come to your class ..... keep up the good work. It turned out WONDERFUL!!!!

starsprinkler

beach themed room
Old 07-14-2008, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I am teaching Kindergarten for the first time this year. I love a lot of the ideas I have been reading. I am also doing the beach theme. Here are some of the ideas I am using.
Whale of a Job -I have whales with names of students on them. The water spout has the name of a job. A velcro dot allows me to rotate the jobs.
I used my Printmaster and made sandcastle nametags for my students tables.
For a word wall, I have made an ocean floor scene with schools of fish, various sea life, a mermaid, and a wrecked ship. The bubbles from the fish etc, are where you will find the words. Haven't figured out a title yet. Any ideas?
I made a large beach umbrella. Each stripe on the umbrella is used to display a class rule.
Behavior chart - I used sticky pockets and placed a cartoon animal character by each one. Each pocket has 3 brightly colored surf boards with the individual child's name per pocket. All are laminated. Children loose a surf board with a bad choice or gain it back with a good choice.
I have been dabbling with a I Can Clam idea It could be used to reward a child for good behaviors ( catch being good) or to reward learning new things like being able to tye shoes etc. What do you think?

I love clearance areas in stores! Toys R Us had large sand pails for 99 cents. Great for storage. They had chairs on sale. I bought two wicker chairs for around $30.
Thanks for sharing with me. I love the hanging schools of fish idea.
starsprinkler is offline   Reply With Quote

Mandi

starsprinkler
Old 07-22-2008, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Do you have a pattern for the surf boards that you used?
Mandi is offline   Reply With Quote

starsprinkler

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I used my printmaster to create a pattern. The surf boards are approx. 5 1/2 inches long and 3inches wide. I think you could probably find some in a clip art program.
Hope that helps.
starsprinkler is offline   Reply With Quote