Book of "50 Cent Words" - ProTeacher Community

JRichard

Book of "50 Cent Words"
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I cannot remember the title of this book (and I don't think it was "50 Cent Words"), but I'll describe it and see if someone doesn't recognize it:

It is a book that takes big, complicated words and turns them into a funny story that illustrates the meaning. Each word took up two pages, I think with a big picture that illustrated the story. Here are the ones I remember:

Paradox = Parrot-Ox, the story of the unlikely combination of an animal that was part parrot, part ox

Dogmatic = Dog mat tick, the story of a tick who stubbornly wanted to live on the dog mat and not the dog

Truculent = Truck Hugh Lent, the story of a truck that Hugh lent to someone

There was another that had a glass house, I think. My 8th grade teacher read this book to us a couple of times a week and we LOVED it. As you can see, I can still remember a lot although it was 10 years ago. I got to talking about this one day and some of my colleagues are interested in this book. Can anyone help me find it?

Thanks!

JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

cjrouw

cjrouw

Dog mat Tic
Old 06-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please let me know if someone finds the answer for you. I've been telling the Dog Mat Tick story to my kids for a few years now, but I can't remember the name of the book I read it in!!

cjrouw@hlpusd.k12.ca.us
cjrouw

cjrouw

Found it!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Weighty Word Book (Hardcover)

I found it on Amazon!
mom23saves45

mom23saves45

I was searching for this!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We learned these words when I was in fifth grade and I am now going to school to be a teacher and was searching for this book for my Education class. I am so glad you posted this because this is how I found my answer!
Thanks!
Amanda