math ideas for job interview - ProTeacher Community

ckharn2

math ideas for job interview
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am finishing up my second year of teaching. I am getting married this summer, and my fiancé and I are hoping to move back to our hometown. I have an interview scheduled in two weeks at the school there, and am so excited - but very nervous! The principal said he is interested in someone for 4th grade math. He also suggested that I bring some samples of activities and lessons that typify my teaching style. As a newer teacher, I feel like I am still trying to find "my style" and I try a little of everything. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could bring to show that I differentiate instruction and incorporate as many hands-on activities as possible? I really appreciate any suggestions!!

ckharn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

FinallyWritin

I hope this helps...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught math my first year and I learned a lot from my mistakes. I would show a lesson that contains a whole-group lesson, guided practice, independent practice and small-group work. I don't have one as an example, but I did too many whole-group lessons last year. This could be an overall example:

Monday-review/quiz from the week before, technology component (Study Island, SmartBoard lesson, video) to preview this week's concept
Tuesday-whole group lesson, guided practice
Wednesday-vocabulary review, independent practice, small-group (I do 2 rotations in 1 day)
Thursday-overall review, facts, small-group (I do the last 2 rotations in day 2)
Friday-independent, review, test

Just on overall example, not really what you asked, but hopefully helpful!
FinallyWritin is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Two ideas
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Look at some of Greg Tangs picture books that contain math riddles. You could design an activity for the students to do after you read one the books aloud to them. They are fun books that the students like and it would show you know how to make connections between different subject areas.

Also take a look at a book by Betsy Franco titled Math Poetry: Linking Math and Language in a Fresh Way. She gives templates and examples of how to write poems about the different areas of math. My favorite is the "Fractions of Me" poem. It is fun, creative and makes a cute display with a poem and a picture as well for each student.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Math Lesson
Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check out quantiles.com or mathwire.com. They have a lot of great teacher resources and ideas.
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ckharn2

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What great ideas! Thank you so much for your suggestions

ckharn2 is offline   Reply With Quote