Singapore Math - ProTeacher Community

Learn/Teach

Singapore Math
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone used this approach? With the Common Core changes I wanted to know if this will work with the new standards and be helpful to the students. I don't know much about it and don't want to waste my time if you guys haven't had success with Singapore Math. Thanks for any feed back.

Learn/Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Halsten2

math
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I posted this same question on the busy board and got a few responses. I'm looking forward to opinions as well.
Halsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cindylb

next year
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are going to it. Neighboring districts have said they have had great success with it. I was told that common core math was written using Singapore math.
cindylb is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn/Teach

Thank you
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks again for your reply
Learn/Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jul313

Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my 4th year using Singapore, and my 1st year using it in 4th grade. Singapore is above and beyond anything I have ever used in my 24 years of teaching. It is very challenging, only because the prior knowledge isn't there if they didn't use Singapore the previous year. Once you spend a few days blending the 3A and 3B books with the 4A and 4B books, is amazing what my children can do. Mental math skills, understanding of place value, find the partial volume of a rectangular prism, three step word problems to multiply fractions and decimals. I don't have the G and T class, just an amazing, hard working class. My principal is thankful Common Core is coming in.... what would they have done next year...

Here's the best part, the teacher's manual is about one inch thick, for the first and the second semester. The plans are clear, well written. You will love it!

Jul313 is offline   Reply With Quote

cestabrook

We just adopted MIF
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common Core did derive its standards from Singapore.
We just adopted Math in Focus, the Americanized version of Singapore Math. Read more about it on thinkcentral.com. The original program can be found on singaporemath.com. It is a rigorous program that includes international standards in addition to common core. Math savvy teachers will do fine from what I hear, and teachers who lack math confidence will learn TONS with quality training, support, and teacher collaboartion. Based on school visitations, ongoing teacher training is a must!
We are implementing a K-8 program next year, but as a fifth grade teacher I will need to use some 4th and even 3rd grade materials because it is so challenging.

Great program to help you teach the bar modeling aspect of MIF:
http://www.mathplayground.com/thinkingblocks.html

Look how challenging, but so cool!
4th grade "spool of ribbon" bar modeling problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH9abI7jlog

LOTS of bar modeling problems can be found on youtube and teachertube.

Many schools who adopt MIF also use Every Day Calendar Math, also by Great Source.
We are not adopting this as of yet.
cestabrook is offline   Reply With Quote