Help

ARCHIVE

Love and Logic

>

Brooke S.

Love and Logic
Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read about this behavior management program several times on this board. I recently purchased the book and have been reading it. It seems to mainly focus on high school or older kids, but I teach 2nd grade. I think I can adapt. Does anyone have anything to share about love and logic? I plan to start it next school year.

Brooke S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Eydie

1st and 2nd Love and Logic
Old 05-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I currently teach second but also have taught first. In my classroom I use a mixture of Love and Logic and Responsive Classroom techniques. I always try to keep things very positive and make the children aware of their actions and how it effects themselves and others.
I do use a conduct system similar to the standard "pull a card" because the younger ones just need a constant visual of how their behavior has been. I do start them on an A at the beginning of each day. Also I feel there needs to be a consistant discipline action for major offences such as hurting someone, being verbally ugly to each other or disrespectful to an adult. So for the younger ones I would not get rid of the color card system.
Even though they change a color we always discuss either individually or at circle get together what was not appropriate or hurtful and what could be done differently to improve ourselves.
Overall love and praise and letting them know you care about them as individuals (not just as part of the herd) makes such a difference in the atmosphere of the classroom.
One of the best parts of our day is when we pull a name stick from the cup and we each take a turn telling why we think that person is special. It only takes 3 minutes to do and gives everyone that warm fuzzy feeling!
Eydie is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Love and Logic in the classroom (7th grade) and with my children (7yo and 3yo). It works well with all ages, toddlers to adults.

On the Love and Logic Forum, there is a teacher, Heather, that teachers 2nd grade. She has been using L&L for a couple of years. You might benefit from talking to her.

http://www.loveandlogicforum.com

Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also use the Love and Logic approach in my classroom and I teach third grade. Though the book gives examples and vinettes from higher grades, the principle can be applied in any age group. I would also recommend Envoy. The book is full of practical strategies and the class is amazing.
ismile is offline   Reply With Quote