Condescending teachers - ProTeacher Community

subt8888

Condescending teachers
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Why are some teachers so rude? Why don't they realize that you too have been in their place and have some sense? Why do they give you such little credit because you are no longer employed as a full time teacher?
Also, how do you keep your mouth closed and get through the day when this happens? I know that you cannot say a word but it is hard to continue the day feeling so mistreated. Subs are only human and have feelings too!!!

subt8888 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovrofhistory

Brazen
Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps I am more brazen than some-I tell teachers up front that I have been a teacher for 17 years in both a SPED environment and standard classroom-I left to get my Ph.D. However, I believe you can tailor the conversation to your own reasons. It is none of their business why you are not teaching full time; however, once you establish that you have been in their shoes the respect level seems to change-at least in my case I notice it has.

I posted earlier about the staff being as big a challenge as the students this past year-seems you have had the same experience(s).

Hang in there-remember why you sub and chalk it up as those who wish they had the opportunity to do the same thing.
lovrofhistory is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Speak Up...
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I my prior career I would never think of treating a temp worker as rudely as I have been treated by other teachers as a sub. I just don't get it. My first few years of doing this I would not speak up, now I don't put up with any of it. I am just as capable as any of them.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure why, but no one has been rude to me in a long time. But, when I first started subbing, I used to get treated poorly all the time. Perhaps it is because I've learned where is good to go and where is not. Or because I've learned when to keep to myself or when to handle things myself. I also learned how to deal with paras, "are you running things today or am I?" The main people I now have issues with are student teachers who often seem to resent having a sub in the room for some reason. Not always, but just sometimes. I've also gotten better at dealing with secretaries, which I used to constantly have problems with. I guess I'm less uptight about getting in to the classroom first thing in the am then I used to be. Secretaries get mad if you're early and prefer if you show up 10 minutes before the bell rings. They really are clueless about how hard it is to set up for the day.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I rarely get outright rudeness, but more often just get ignored. I am a nice, fairly outgoing person so I often start conversation at lunch or whatever if I haven't been included. If the opportunity presents itself, I often mention briefly that I taught full time, but my position was cut and now I sub while looking for a permanent position. I seem to get more respect from that, but also because I come off as friendly and approachable.

Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was never treated rudely by any of the teachers when I worked as a sub. There was one school with unfriendly teachers, but they are like that to EVERYONE who is not one of them. They're still like that, and it's been 20 years since I worked there as a sub.

I've never seen anyone in my building treat a sub rudely except in instances where there was a major issue. Even then, it was what they did, not who they were. They'd have gotten the same reaction as a teacher.

Sorry you have a different experience.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just so I can be sure NOT to be that way, what are some ways teachers are being rude?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

SnowyCitty

"I know your just a sub but...."
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"I know you're just a sub but..." and fill in the blank. That phrase irks me every time I hear it. I have had teachers question me as to why I am doing something a certain way. I point to the lesson plans and have them read them.

I have just as much education as they do, and sometimes I have more, but I have not been lucky enough to land a full time position yet.

Last edited by SnowyCitty; 04-23-2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: eek, your vs. you're
SnowyCitty is offline   Reply With Quote

LynneLC

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That would bug me to hear, "I know you're just a sub." I would respond curtly, "Please don't say I'm just a sub. Thank you." How would they like to be in a different setting, for example with a group of Principals who would say, "I know you're just a teacher but..."

As for the original post, it's hard to comment without knowing more about how the teachers are rude or condescending. You wrote, "I know you cannot say a word..." Depending on the circumstances, what you say, and how you say it, I think you can make a reasonable response.
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Toonice??????

Toonice??????

Maybe you're too nice
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My experience. I was way too nice and people picked up on that. They knew as a sub I wanted a job and was not going to rock the boat so more and more was getting dumped on me every time I went into certain situations. I took the worse assignments no one would take thinking it would develop my character. () I realized way too late in life that my niceness was allowing me to get taken advantage of. Lesson learned. Never again. Too much life out there to enjoy to make myself that miserable trying to please others and possibly land a job that may never pan out anyway.

Beethechange

Stuck up condescending teachers
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Tell me about it, they plain ignore me.. I have a story about it just follow my thread. To make a long story short I have been subbing for three years, finally graduated and still no job. I have posted my resume up online, spoken to principals and nothing. But like 10 paras said " if they like you ,they' ll hire you"
Ohhhhh so it's like that.. I have to be liked. Well what a waste of me getting an MA.. I really regret not being a nurse or some job that required my technical training and my brain.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

lovrofhistory

Once again...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Perhaps Beethechange, you need to be the change you wish to see in your life. I not only have a BS, but a BA, an MA, an MAT, and a Ph.D. as of last Friday. I was struggling to be hired because I am one of the "old" teachers you spoke about in your previous thread. Of course, old in our district is 45+. I don't expect those to respect me because of my degree's, I command their respect because of my life experiences doing what I love doing-teaching. I finally was offered a position recently but not before 15 interviews and a year of subbing.

Sometimes the approach taken when entering an interview speaks volumes about who we are and where we are in our career path. Other times it is necessary to stretch our own boundaries to make sure others understand that we are willing to do whatever is necessary to be a team player...If the attitude we exude to be one of arrogance and less than respectful to those who matter, the chances of getting hired full time become less. And let me say that administrators within districts, as well as, outside districts talk. You do not have to like the game but if you want to be hired full time sometimes you have to play by the rules laid out!

And, if you are saying that technical training or a brain are not necessary to teach, perhaps you have answered your own question as to why you are still unemployed. I resent those who think that teaching is a brainless, easy, and cushy job.
lovrofhistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Woolie

Woolie

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't think Bethechange was saying that teaching is an easy job. I think she was frustrated at spending a great deal of money and time and not being able to find a full time position. You subbed for one year, she has subbed for three. That's a long time to live on fairly low pay, especially if she is paying down student loans. I'm sure she doesn't waltz around saying that at school, particularly since she has lasted as long as she has as a sub. It is frustrating to not be able to use your skills to TEACH. My classroom management has vastly improved over my years as a sub, but it is such a thrill when I am asked to teach. I'm sure that is what Bethechange meant.

I have been at my school 3 years. I am a fairly outgoing person, I do the best I possibly can while there, and I am there nearly every day. Most teachers are lovely towards me, but there is probably about 15% that never say hello (even if I have said it to them) or make digs about students taking advantage. Subbing is a very different world than day to day teaching. Sometimes you must pick your battles to get the work done, so yes, I do allow students to go to the restroom. I have a ready supply of pens/pencils so they have no excuse to not work. Some teachers don't like that, but that is what gets the work done with little drama.

On Sunday, I was at an awards banquet with my daughter. I saw a teacher from school there and she introduced me to her child as another teacher from school. That was fantastic. It's the little things that matter, smiles and encouragement that help us along our way.

momandsub

Woolie you are so right...
Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

what works for the classroom teacher does not always work for a sub. I have a teacher that I regularly sub for, when I am in her class I put a sharpened pencil on each desk first thing every morning. These students are so easily distracted that just one person getting up to get a pencil distracts 3/4 the class. I had the neighboring teacher tell me I essentially was a fool for giving them a pencil, whatever. If a box of pencils is what it takes to keep the day going, it is a small price to pay.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Jobless

Pencils
Old 04-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Good idea! Will use it the next time I sub. Some of the actions by reg. teachers are unprofessional, to say the least. Just stay the course and do your thing, no matter what others think/say to be negative.
Jobless is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

rude teachers
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am sorry you have experienced rude teachers.
In my school we used to pride ourselves on treating all substitute teachers with kindness and respect. We always had free coffee and tea and usually some cookies or other munchies for everyone in the staff lounge. When I first started at my school, I started as a long-term sub, and immediately felt like I was part of a big family.

What I realized after I was permanently employed there was that management makes a huge difference in the way everyone is treated. When management was fair and respectful, teachers reflected the same. When different management was spiteful and meanspirited, it rubbed of on some teachers. I have seen a number of principals come and go, and know that if the climate of the school is good, subs are treated well.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Woolie

Woolie

Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've done that with the pencils, too! It works almost every time. I don't understand why teachers care if I am willing to purchase pencils with my OWN money and pass them out. I certainly would not see a need to comment on it. My job, as I see it, is to try to get the lesson transmitted come hell or high water, and that is what I do. I won't say that every student performs perfectly, but I will say that after 3 years at the high school, the kids know who I am. They know I will expect them to either work or at least not be disruptive, but they also know that I am fair. I try to treat them the way I would like my own children to be treated, and for the most part this works.

I'm not a fan of playing the game for "people that matter." In my view, everyone matters. One thing I hate about education is that it seems to be ridiculously stratified. Doesn't matter who has a masters or a doctorate and who only has emergency certifications. We all have the same ultimate goal of providing a quality education to our students. At least 50% of our job is modeling good behavior. If we attach more value to some due to their position, we tell students some people are more important than others. I try to keep this in mind each day.

lovetosub

Let's remember
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

that they're just as burned out right now as some of us are. I'm not excusing their behavior, in fact, I believe it reflects very badly on them, but I'm also seeing teaching, who from the very beginning have been gracious and pleasant and wonderful and kind, go completely mental on the students, on admin, on the aides, and yes, even on the substitutes.

And I don't ever say anything because it can (1) turn around and bite you in the ass, and (2) you're only as good (requested) as your reputation. If you say something negative or snippy, it will come up during the next faculty meeting, the next lunch, or most certainly, the next happy hour. Be a duck. Let it roll off your back. You have to in this business.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Often times those teachers who are rude to subs are just not very nice to anyone! Try not to take it personally. I have worked with some rude teachers as a teacher working on the same grade level or in the same school. As a classroom teacher I have been mistreated by a few teachers too, so don't assume that you are mistreated by some teachers because you are a substitute.

Subbing is a thankless job. I've been there. Maybe every teacher should be a substitute at some point to experience just how difficult it can be.
AD is online now   Reply With Quote