Best way to freeze smoothie for later? - ProTeacher Community

reesespieces

Best way to freeze smoothie for later?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What's the best way to freeze a smoothie so I can make one in bulk and use the whole week?

Munchkins

ziplock bags?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I make sauce, I freeze it in plastic freezer bags so I can defrost one at a time. I bet you could do the same thing for smoothies with the quart size freezer bags. Just take it out and pop it into the blender. Yum!

Valone

Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not sure what kind of smoothie you are making that you want to keep for later...

I poured our holiday slush in a gallon sized Ziplock bag. Then I just give it a quick massage to break up the lumps before putting it in a glass.

I have put fresh fruit chunks in a Ziplock bag and frozen them for a summer fruit slushie.

Either frozen fruit blended with a soda, wine or fruit juice in yummy. I have also added vanilla yogurt.

Is that what you wanted?

reesespieces

Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Should I let each one thaw overnight?

I plan to make this (I'm going to use my blender them since my mother borrowed my juicer):

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/super-energy-smoothie

teacherpippi

Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could see either freezing in jars (maybe mason jars), making it up and freezing in ice cube trays so you could blend later, or freezing the ingredients in bulk so it's easy to make up each day.

chipi

Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just made a smoothie in a big pitcher and left it in the fridge. It stayed thick and cold and later on, it was just like at Jamba Juice or something. I thought it would melt and be watery but it wasn't. I used frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, and kefir initially.

I looked at the link and that looks soooo yummmmmy! I love the idea of watermelon and pineapple. It seems like these fruits are really juicy, and then there's the coconut water, so if you make it fresh and then freeze it, it will be a big block of ice. I think it would be hard to but big blocks (or baggies) of smoothis in the blender every morning. That will burn out your motor on your blender fast!

Can you freeze all of the fruits first, and then blend them, and then keep the blender pitcher in the fridge? I think the texture will be fine all week. I'd say try this, and if you need/want, add a few ice cubes the morning of.

OR

I just thought of this. Make ice cubes with the coconut water, and blend all of the other parts up and keep them liquid in the fridge. Then, every morning, you can add a few coconut water cubes to a portion of the fruit/spinach blend. Way faster than doing them one by one.

Look into getting a Magic Bullet or immersion blender. These are both great for smoothies. I actually prefer an immersion blender as you can also stick it in a big pot and make soups easy peasy.

apples

try this
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My coworker freezes them in those disposal red cups...with saran wrap held in place by an elastic band.
She moves it from the freezer to fridge the night before and grabs on her way out the door.

jammeroo

I love smoothies!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have smoothies almost everyday for lunch! I buy a large tub of vanilla yogurt and freeze scoopfuls in mini muffin tins. Freeze for an hour or so and then just let them sit out for 5-10 minutes. They pop out easily. I then put 3-4 of the minis in a zip lock bag with sliced frozen strawberries, blueberries, and banana slices (you can use any fruits, those are just my favorites). I also add a scoop of whey protein. Refreeze. In the morning I just grab a bag and go - so easy! You can let it thaw on its own or put in a freezer (if you have access to one). I prefer to keep mine frozen and then just add milk or water and blend during lunch. You could also use ice trays if you don't have a mini muffin tin. This just really works well for me because I HATE packing lunches, love smoothies, and have been losing weight on it

Tulips

Smoothie
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Apples, I like that idea! I'm going to try it, thanks for sharing!

Also, Reeses, when I've made smoothiess before, when they defrost I just add a few more ice cubes or pieces of frozen fruit and reblend, and they're good as new!

Tulips

Tulips

Dr. Oz
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Montel also talked about vitamin B. I don't have access to the shots, so I take the vitamin B complex that Dr. Oz recommended. I take the sublingual drops, that seems to help. I felt more energetic after about a week.

Tulips

angelajw

apples
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love that idea. I have started doing bodybyvi so I have a shake everyday. I will try the red cup idea. I can already hear everyone singing "red solo cup - let's have a party "

reesespieces

Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks, everyone, for all of the tips!! I just made some and it's REALLY good and refreshing!!

I made 1/4 of this recipe since my blender isn't big enough-so I have a cup for today and one for tomorrow.

I don't have any disposable cups so I cut off the top of an empty water bottle and used that!

Tulips-that's wonderful! There's a fresh juice bar not far from me that I want to try that has B12 shots to put in smoothies!