Anyone use Go Math, Envisions or Expressions? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

Anyone use Go Math, Envisions or Expressions?

>

sukey

Anyone use Go Math, Envisions or Expressions?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are trying to decide between these series. If you use one of them, can you please share your opinion? Thank you!!

sukey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't currently use one but was given permission to pilot a new one next year. I contacted the local rep for envision. She is sending me a teacher manual for their common core 2012 series. She also gave me a login to check out the online portion.

From what I see so far... There are multiple lessons for each standard (I'm not up to new lingo yet). You can watch an animated segment displaying each standard. (I think kids would love.). Then there is a link that will take you to the guided practice pages. You can click there and check them out. You can also take an online quiz and if whoever doesn't pass it- it will take them to a re-teach page to print out.

I also like that for problem solving it appears to teach using strategies like make a table etc. Most series that I have seen do not add that component until older grades.

I also went to a Singapore enspired book. (I think it is go math). You can sign up online to view all materials. It spends a lot of time on number sense which seemed a little basic to me. Although when I looked at the other grades, it completely built upon that basic skill to go more in depth. I would consider piloting that program if my whole school would end up adopting it. That however probably won't happen in the near future.

So- if I were you, I'd contact local reps and sign up online to check materials out! :-)

Goodluck! I still don't know which route that I'm taking yet either!
Rockin1stgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzieQB

Math Expressions
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district adopted this for grades 1&2 for this year, and K/3-5 will begin next year (not sure why). I am very impressed with the program -- it's pretty much developmentally appropriate and its focus on base ten is phenomenal. I've been teaching for 18 years, 8 at first grade, and I've never seen my students "get it" more than they have with this program. Don't get me wrong -- it's marketed as aligned to the common core, and we have spent a LOT of time weeding thru some lessons that are very much NOT common core. But for the most part, comprehensive, meaningful, cohesive from grade to grade, and teaches what we need to teach -- number sense and a HUGE focus on Math Talk, which is crucial for meeting standards and assessments.
SuzieQB is offline   Reply With Quote

dsmmharris

Envision pilot
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am very interested in Envision math, but my school does Saxon. How did you go about getting to pilot it? I would love to do that. I teach Math for grades k-2.

Last edited by dsmmharris; 05-07-2012 at 03:47 PM..
dsmmharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

dsmmharris
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, I first showed the comparables of worksheet prices. Envision student workbooks are actually about 100 less than Saxon refills. That first peaked administative attention.

I already create all of my worksheets/ assessments and lessons. I have been telling my principal for years to not even order me the refills. Yet $800 or so is wasted each year on my class.

Once they saw the comparables and all that I was doing was asking for the workbooks. I contacted the local rep, and she said she would just give me the sample teacher workbook to use for next year and the online demo program. So minus the manipulatives (which she said are similar to all of the items we have from Saxon) I will actually have pretty much an entire program that I am piloting that is going to cost less than Saxon refills.

I first talked to principal and then he talked to curriculum director and he okayed it. I did all of the other work so it was not at all a hassle for them.

Rockin1stgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Eli O.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I usée Math Expressions when I taught second grade, and I really liked it. You do a lot of reviewing with thé calendar routine. Thére is à big focus on base ten, but thé kids néed It. I team teach Everyday Math, but don't Like It-our kids don't master thé concepts.
Eli O. is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingAll

Math
Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We piloted Go Math this year. I really hated it for the first few chapters. We really disliked that chapter one was all word problems! It did get easier after the first few chapters.

Our district then let us look at Envision and Everyday Math as well to see what we liked best. There was an overwhelming vote for Envision. Now we just have to wait to see if we can "afford" to buy the program!
TeachingAll is offline   Reply With Quote

Eyedunno22

Envisions
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This was our first year using Envisions. We had used Saxon previously. we have found that we do not like the order of the topics and are going to take time this summer to reorder them. We also do not like that once you teach a skill, they do not review it on homework except for that night. Saxon reviewed it multiple nights. We also think they go too fast in some topics. For example, in the money topic they teach pennies and nickels one day and the next day they add dimes, then quarters the next. Some skills are not being given proper time to master. The supplements, like the online materials are good and the manipulative are pretty good too. We think we will like it alot better when we reorder the topics.
Eyedunno22 is offline   Reply With Quote

KimPossible27

Envisions
Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use Envisions in my district. It's very glossy and colorful, but honestly it lacks depth in all areas. There isn't a great deal of opportunity for students to practice the concepts once they introduce them. There are a lot of resources, but overall I've found the entire curriculum to be superficial. In order to really implement common core standards the district has had to supplement it by ordering another curriculum that focuses more on problem solving.
KimPossible27 is offline   Reply With Quote