Title 1 screening/eligibility - ProTeacher Community

sweet babboo

Title 1 screening/eligibility
Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I am a Title 1 Math tutor. I am the only Title 1 person in the school and have a million questions that I have asked 2 million times, but keep receiving different answers.

Do I need to give a new assessment to students who I am "required" to service, or is it enough to say that they meet the tenets of Title 1?

I know that I can assist students who aren't "required" for Title 1 as guests, but what about students that aren't required but are low in math without SPED math goals? For instance, I have 22 students in grades 1-4. About half of them are on my "required to serve" list. The other half need extra math help, were referred by the teachers, and earned low scores on the Title 1 assessments I have available. Should I not be helping the non-required kids?

I looked at my state requirements, the federal requirements, and asked the Title 1 coordinator for the district... but either can't find the answer or get different answers.

Thanks.

sweet babboo is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

eligibility
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't understand what you mean by "required".

Here's what I do know. For a targeted-assistance school, all students are screened by the same criteria (multiple assessments) and ranked according to the most need. You pull from the ones with the most need, excepting the students with IEP in that area.

With schoolwide Title I, it's different. All students are considered to be Title I students. We still made an eligibility list and served according to the most need, but we could also add students without strictly going according to most need. For example, I had a group of 7 reading students, quite a large group, and could not add any more students from that classroom. We could skip the next person with need, and add a student to a group of 4 because there was room.

I would suggest, if your Title I Director (whoever in your district is keeping track of things) doesn't have answers for you, politely request the contact information for the person from the State who serves the area where your district is. You need to be able to get your questions answered.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

sweet babboo

Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Mrs. M.,

Required to service, by my district's strandards, means that the students live below the poverty line. Per my district, those are the students that I have to give extra assistance to, regardless of their ability... unless they are already receiving support such as through an IEP with math goals. My school is a targeted assisted school, but it sounds like I have been following the schoolwide policy.

I currently assist the students who live at or below the poverty line... which I am not supposed to know- that is why they call them "required," and students who were referred by teachers and received low scores on the state standardized tests, but are above the poverty line.

Does this make sense?

MrsM

Title I
Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As long as you are serving all of the required students, then adding others as guests should not be a problem. You are fulfilling what your district has set as the criteria. You are doing the best you can, given the information you have, and if the state ends up with a problem with any of it, remember that someone at a higher pay grade is answering for it, and/or making necessary changes. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, or at least you are interpreting things the way I would probably also interpret them.

If your district is almost out for the summer, I wouldn't be concerned about giving another assessment at this point, unless it would be helpful to you in your instruction. For next school year, though, be proactive in setting the multiple criteria. Maybe one criterion is poverty, but another should show the students with the most need for extra math instruction. Maybe students in poverty with higher math ability only need to meet with you once a week, but students in poverty with low math ability get served every day.

I feel like I'm talking in circles, but I'm hoping you understand this. Let me know if you still have more questions.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

sweet babboo

Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, Mrs. M. I think get it- and thanks for the little boost to my spirits, I really needed it!

My criteria this year is:

1st priority: poverty
2nd priority: a combination of test scores and teacher recommendations.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of students who could use the extra help. I am part-time and have 22 kids that I am working with. I just don't have time to see every one of them every day. But, I think I am making it work. Hopefully, next year will be a lot smoother, though.

Thanks again.