New Multi-handicapped self-contained teacher - ProTeacher Community

OWLearning

New Multi-handicapped self-contained teacher
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I just recently accepted a job at a school district as a Self-contained Multi-handicapped teacher. This is my first year teaching. I have been an assistant at this same school for a year. These are the students who are low-functioning. I am SO VERY excited about this new opportunity. I am just a bit overwhelmed about this opportunity. The teacher that has been in that room is retiring after 20+ years. I need new and exciting ideas to start the school year off with a bang. Ideas are needed for teacher introduction, classroom set-up, intructional ideas, and anything else that can be beneficial to make this next school year an exciting one. Thanks so much for your help!

OWLearning is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was hoping you'd get some good ideas! I don't have any to offer right now, but wanted to give you a big congratulations on your new job!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

calliecat

Suggestions
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach a mild self-contained classroom. Simple suggestions I have are to use minimal decorations...less is more. I use all black solid borders for my bulletins for less distractions. I use one wall for all mathematics related posting and another for literacy.

Opening and closing each day I try to keep it all the same always. My students were taught one day one what they do when they walk through the door each day and for the most part that is exactly what we did each day. Closing the same but I have to admit I was not as good keeping it as consistent.

For your students I would imagine picture schedules would be beneficial. Something I have not implemented but heard this idea:
*having a three drawer container for each student
*in each drawer have a subject area for each student and keep
all the materials needed for their specific goals and objectives.

Something that has been a lifesaver for me is to set up a sub-binder. Inside I set up dividers for different things: daily schedules, OT and speech schedules for individual students, care plans for students with medical issues, behavior plans, early release schedules, teachers to go to if a sub has questions. When you set this up one time it saves you when you need to be gone with very little warning. I try to put in a couple activities that could be used to fill in if there was extra time or if you weren't able to come in and make plans.

Without knowing more what levels you have I am not sure what else to suggest.

Congrats and enjoy.
calliecat is offline   Reply With Quote

OWLearning

Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your suggestions! I will have mostly kindergarten-1st grade levels, but I do have one student that is a 3rd grade level. It will be challenging to do activities that are age appropriate. Also, another challenge that I will face is grouping students according to skill levels. I really will not be able to do this until I can get my own personal assessments of students done. If you have any suggestions on initial skills assessments, I would really appreciate it!
OWLearning is offline   Reply With Quote