My much-needed "Aha!" moment for the end of this school year... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Inspirations

My much-needed "Aha!" moment for the end of this school year...

>

Squirl

My much-needed "Aha!" moment for the end of this school year...
Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday, I went to the water park on post with the fam. While I was there, a girl walked up to me. She was in my class last year, and was in fourth grade the year before that as well. She failed her first year in fourth (obviously), and she managed Ds and Fs in my class as well. It was a struggle to get her help, and she was struggling in class with all of the help that I could provide alone. Finally, I was able to get her the Sp.Ed. help that she needed. (Just to put it into perspective, getting a kid into Sp.Ed. in my district is like trying to rob the Federal Reserve...)

She came up to me yesterday, soaking wet (water park, remember), and wanted to hug me because she was so proud of what she has been doing in 5th grade this year. Straight As!!! And part of all kinds of extracurricular activities (band and 4-H are the ones that she was most excited about)!!! Before I let her hug me (despite the fact that I was dry and had intended to stay that way haha... I was there so my niece and nephew could play, not me. Lol) and then sent her off to play, she said "Ms. Dawley, I don't think I could have done it without you. Thank you." Her mom thanked me as well, even though she HATED me last year because I "wouldn't do anything for [insert girl's name here]" and "refused to help" her child. Now, she apparently sees what I did do, and I'm glad. Even though she hated me last year. However, she accepted my outlook when I told her yesterday that I don't do it for the parents and I don't care how many parents hate me. I do it for the kids. I will fight for my kids until I can't anymore, even if the parents (and/or administration, for that matter) get mad.

Anyway. With all of that said... I suppose what they say is true. Through all of the B.S., through the times that you think you just want to change careers, through the moments that you wonder why on Earth you chose to do something that doesn't bring in the 'big bucks'... It really only takes one. One moment that matters. One child that makes the difference. I don't teach because it's going to make my signature famous one day. I don't do it because I'll change the world. I teach because I can change one (maybe thirty, if I'm lucky) child's world forever. She'll appreciate my signature in her yearbook. That's all that matters.

Squirl is offline   Reply With Quote

misscrig

that's awesome
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's such an awesome story! I hope it made you feel good inside!
misscrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirl

:)
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks.
It sure did make me smile - inside and out!
I suppose everything happens for a reason at the time that it happens. I was literally JUST talking to my other half about how I didn't know if I wanted to teach anymore. We're moving this summer, so now would be the time to get out if I was going. I am tired of all of the "drama" that comes along with the job, I guess. Prime example: a teacher-friend of mine is getting sued right now for something that she didn't do... The parent is just mad because my friend can't do anything else for the child (already got a 504 plan. can't get into Sp.Ed. because of red tape. etc., etc., etc.) I mean, I've seen teachers on the news getting into hot water for various things, but that's always been "just on the news"... This one hit close to home! With the realization that it could have been me, I just decided that I didn't want to teach anymore.
This little girl reminded me that I need to teach. It's what I love to do. She came back into my life at just the right moment to put my head back on straight.
Squirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Antique Tchr

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What a sweet experience for you.
Antique Tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

wow
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What a great moment. I'm glad you got to talk to her and I'm happy her mother realized all that you had done. Parents get so upset with us instead of really working with us and having a mutual respect. I'm happy for you!

Savvy is online now   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Thank you so
Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

much for sharing your moment and your awesome and wise perspective on what teachers do!
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

aww
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Awesome story!
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote