Keeping husband's ashes at home? - ProTeacher Community

Renea

Keeping husband's ashes at home?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The previous pet post started me thinking about a widow I know who kept her husbands ashes at home on the fireplace mantle. This kinda creeps me out. How common is it to keep a loved one's ashes at home?

tammynj

Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I have a very small urn (like, smaller than a hand) of my mom's ashes here, in a keepsake urn. We also have my son's father's ashes (also in a similarly small) urn. (They both died, unexpectedly; my mom died in Nov. and my son's father died in Dec.)

So I have two little urns of ashes on the built-in shelves in my kitchen/dining room area. I intend, this summer, to maybe make it a little nicer, less cluttered, and have a few of their things on the shelf with their ashes.

I never expected to have two small urns filled with ashes in my house, but there you go...

My sister has the big container of my mom's ashes. We are going in a few weeks up to her favorite place in the mountains upstate to release them.

MathWA

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can understand why a widow woud want to keep her husbands ashest home but I would quietly put them away....in my lingerie drawer?

iluv2lrn

Wind chimes
Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They make beautiful wind chimes that hold loved ones ashes. I would do that. Don't know about keeping them in my bedroom.

I have also heard of people mixing ashes into tattoo ink. That is a little hardcore for me!

GraceKrispy

Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My fil's ashes are in a coffee can that wears his baseball cap, sitting on a family room shelf. When mil passes, she wants to be put in the same can and mixed up, then they want to be spread in a few very specific places. I think that's cool. I would like to do something similar, but not in a coffee can. I hate coffee. Maybe hot chocolate or pringles....

BayAreaSub

I remember...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

a couple of years ago there was a story in the local news about a break in at a home where the thieves stole a fancy brass urn on the mantle. The urn held the ashes of the homeowner's husband, and she was devastated. If I decided to keep the the ashes of an important loved one at home, I would make sure that the container was something not worthy of being taken.

starfish92

my fil
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

is in the garage! It was his favorite place to be when this was his house. We will one day scatter them in the deep of the Atlantic Ocean.
There are rules about where you can spread ashes..
I told my dd that since my dh and I will be creamated she should just mix our ashes together and do with them what ever makes her happy.

klarabelle

Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My grandmom is in the backroom of my parents on the bureau. She is where she stayed when she visited on the weekends My aunt and uncle have my cousin's ashes on the bottom of a living room end table. Doesn't bother anyone a bit. I find it peaceful having GM in the backroom. We all talk with her and it gives us a sense of her being with us. As to my cousin, in the beginning I never realized it was his urn, I just thought it was a pretty piece of art

buffington

Mine
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My late husband passed on June 2, 2010. (Anniversary a week away) I still have his ashes in the closet. We had a memorial service for him. And no, I don't find it creepy, but my fiance might...

I am getting remarried in 2 weeks. I am still in contact with his mom who lives in an another state. She and I were always close and she is such an amazing lady...We spoke recently and she asked me if I would mind sending his ashes to her. She wants to have him buried in Ohio where he grew up and will also be the final resting place for his folks too. I love the idea because we really didn't know where to put his ashes. I feel better about J. "going home" and it seems perfect.

musicbug

My Nana did
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For 25 years until the day she died. My mom interred both of them when Nana passed.

Valone

Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My dad has been saying for years that he wants his ashes kept in the trunk of the car. So whenever our car slid into a snowy ditch, he would at least be useful.

And if you knew my dad.......he is serious.

Lady Di

You guys are cracking me up with these posts!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

All I can think about is the movie about the Fockers and the cat!

I know, totally inappropriate - sorry!

momabaarjo

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My sister's in laws keep dad around and bring him to all the parties (including the birthday parties)...I kid you not.