Where to buy sets of books w/ CD for listening center? - ProTeacher Community

BriteRedApple

Where to buy sets of books w/ CD for listening center?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year, I am going to be a Kindergarten teacher for the first time. I was a 4th grade teacher last year & it was my first year of teaching. I would love some ideas on where to find and buy sets of Kindergarten trade books with CD for a listening center. I've been searching online, but I can't seem to find a set with at least 4 books and a CD. HELP PLEASE!

BriteRedApple is offline   Reply With Quote

Silvergu

Scholastic
Old 05-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I set up my listening center using one computer, a headphone splitter, and a few books; sometimes just one. I have all my CDs uploaded onto iTunes and change my playlist. I train the kids that sometimes we share books or sometimes there is a teacher. They learn quickly to share. My suggestion is to buy from scholastic and use bonus points for additional books. For the younger ones, it is easier if the cd has page turn signals which scholastic has.
Silvergu is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also got most of mine through Scholastic.

When I was a new teacher and didn't have much money to spend, I checked out books on tape (back then it was cassettes but now it would be cds) from my local public library.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

slawson

Qvc
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the past eleven years, for Christmas, my mom orders me a box set of hardback books and CDs from QVC. I am thinking that it is 10 books with 10 CDs. The great thing about the CDs, if u use them in a computer it actually shows the pages on the screen so u don't necessarily have to have the book for them. Or u could use a splitter and have one using the book on the computer and the other with the hard copy. I am thinking they cost $25, which is not a bad deal especially since they r hardback books. I'm not sure if they have this deal other than Christmas, but worth a check.
slawson is offline   Reply With Quote

readfirst

Scholastic
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

is where I get all of mine. I buy a set each month, sometimes using my bonus points to buy an extra copy of the book to go with each cd/book set. But to start, I would use the library until you get your cd library built up! Have fun!

readfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

ebay
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was in same situation 2 years ago and I found many books and tapes/cds on ebay. I was able to buy quite a few at a time for very cheap. I did have to do bidding on some, but it was kind of fun. What I got from ebay were previously purchased from Scholastic!

PS...our reading series has all the trade books we use through the year on cd one unit per cd (six stories) and I now use this for my listening center as the students don't have to change cds etc. They can choose what book they want to listen to, I have the books numbered to match track. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bennyjake; 05-28-2012 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: reorganize
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
lilune

lilune

We use Raz Kids
Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For listen to reading I do have one desk with a CD player and book. But for listening/reading the students go on the computers and log into Raz Kids. They much prefer doing that to listening to the CD and reading the book.

The Raz Kids program is through Reading A-Z. Our whole class level uses it, but I think a single subscription is fairly reasonable and it allows the students to work at their own pace and level, plus would save you buying the extra books/CDs. At the beginning (level aa) the students listen to the story and then read it on their own. They can click on any words they can't read, but at that level it would be, for example: The cow (with a picture of a cow), The duck, etc. As they level up they need to listen, read, and then complete a quiz.

Lilbitkm

Books on CD
Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had to build up my CD/Book collection last summer for my 1st grade class. I did buy a lot from Scholastic as you can get them really inexpensively.

I also found a lot of sets at walmart.com, ebay, and a yahoo teacher resale group (google teacher bargain basement). I don't think I ever paid more than $10 for a set of 4 books w/CD.

Also, I have self-recorded some of my guided reading books and basal stories on to ipods to use throughout the week. You can have a parent volunteer do it as well, if you have a lot of parental involvement.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

punchinello

Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Just be sure to get "Tacky the Penguin" for them to listen to during the winter. They think it is hysterical.
You can also make up an evaluation for them to fill in. I'll try to attach one of mine....
Attached Files
File Type: docx Listening Center evaluation.docx (87.1 KB, 92 views)
punchinello is offline   Reply With Quote
KinderGuest

KinderGuest

Ebay
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Go on ebay and search for listening center. I have built my entire listening center from there. There is a username 83elliemae, she sells scholastic (4)books with cd from price range $7-16.00. If there is a specifc title you are looking for you can send her a message and she can look through her inventory, most likely she will!!

purple rose

Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

How do you upload CDs to Itunes, I am a complete novice, but eager to learn
purple rose is offline   Reply With Quote

BriteRedApple

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wow, thank you for all the great suggestions, I will look into Ebay and Scholastic. I was trying to find it on the Scholastic website, but I can't seem to find it...
BriteRedApple is offline   Reply With Quote