First Week of Second Grade - ProTeacher Community

kritterbug123

First Week of Second Grade
Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have just been hired as a second grade teacher! I a worried about the first week of school. I don't know what to include and what not to include (our first week is 3 days). If any of you could share some lesson plans that would be great!

kritterbug123 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

first week
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, a three day week will fly by. You will spend a huge amount of time just establishing rules and procedures. You will probably have a math and/or reading inventory test to see where they are. You can read Chrysanthemum or Ruby the Copycat. They both lend themselves to great beginning of the year activities. There are tons on line.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Rules and routines - definitely! I use the first three days (week one) and review these things each day. Clean up - review all classroom jobs in detail (#30 minutes at the end of the day), organize supply box/desk, homework folders/center folders/writing notebook/poetry notebook (decorate and color covers, names), fire drill procedures, class rules/behavior management system, building tour if you have new students, centers (I usually have four centers and we do one each day and then review - usually starting with listening center since it is a machine but do not take reading groups yet), shared reading/calendar (I do a poem and calendar routines starting from day one in second grade). Any skills are totally review during week one (short vowel words) and lots of manipulatives during math time (time to free explore, emphasize proper use, and then explore them together as a learning tool - attribute blocks, number chart - lots of number sense activities, etc.) Getting to know you game each day!
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

runteacher

2nd Day of 2nd Grade
Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's a link to an activity I found awhile ago and like to do on the 2nd day of 2nd grade. It's just a fun little activity booklet, but helps out with the lesson planning a ton for that day!!!
http://www.jologriffin.com/second.cfm Good luck!!!
runteacher is offline   Reply With Quote