How to Teach a 10 Minute Lesson in an Interview?????? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

2911plans

How to Teach a 10 Minute Lesson in an Interview??????
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to thank all of the teachers that gave me advice on lesson ideas. I am well prepared for my interview, HOWEVER..........

I am required to teach a lesson to the interview panel and I only have 10 minutes. The lesson must include: opening, direct instruction, guided practice and closing components.

My family has help be with this drill and I must say, getting all of that done in 10 minutes is very challenging.

Has anyone gone before an interview panel and was required to teach? If so, were you given a time limit? In your opinion, how did you feel after it was over?

2911plans is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I haven't, but...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I heard a former aid tell about the same situation. She did a reading mini-lesson. I think she did "text-to-self" connection, but you could really do anything. If you had a chart, you could do a fluency lesson using a poem or short text. If you have a read-aloud, you could do a visualization lesson. They could turn and talk about what they "see" and then you could give them paper and pencil to sketch (after modeling it, of course.) Good luck!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

fishingforfun

Sort of did...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had to teach a lesson to someone's class! I had 30 minutes and the entire interview panel was in there watching me teach 30 6th graders. I did a poetry lesson for language arts.

I made sure I was teaching one of the standards for that grade. I started by telling them why they were learning the skill, reviewed a "previous lesson", taught the lesson and gave an example, did one together, did one on their own, and then shared....

Good luck with your interview!
fishingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Adams

Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to teach a 15 minute lesson before a panel.

The panel gave me advance notice on the topic to teach and I was able to use any teaching aids that I needed.

I treated the panel as if they were students in my class.

I was offered the job.
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

MoseyPosey

Grrrrrr
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think I might "puke" if I were in your shoes. I am PRAYING for you!!!!! 10 minutes seems like so little time.

-Schema lesson "The Things In My Purse"

-Visualizations- read a poem and have all the the panel illustrate. Compare the illustrations to each other and confirm everyone "visual" thinking is different.

-Use a timer maybe that way they can see you are using your time wisely

A great book is Making Connections-you can find it on Amazon. I think it is a KINDLE book now, too.

MoseyPosey is offline   Reply With Quote

MoseyPosey

Name of book
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Comprehension Connections not Making Connections-I literally just got back out of my bed it woke me from a DEAD sleep

2911plans

Wow!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

MoseyPosey you are an angel! Thank you for the prayers.

Thanks everyone for your help.
2911plans is offline   Reply With Quote

pg

Here's a sneaky thought...
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you have them illustrate a poem, as suggested by MoseyPosey, they just might (if you're lucky) get caught up in that ~ have fun with that ~ and you just might feel a little less like you're under their scrutiny!

Good luck!
pg is offline   Reply With Quote

MoseyPosey

You are so very welcome
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One of the MOST FAVORITE poems to use is the following:

My Neighbor's Dog is Purple
My neighbor's dog is purple,
its eyes are large and green,
its tail is almost endless,
the longest I have seen.

My neighbor's dog is quiet,
it does not bark one bit,
but when my neighbor's dog is near,
I feel afraid of it.

Stop the panel and have them draw. Then read the last stanza after X amount of minutes. Then allow the panel to "adjust" their thinking. Did it change as the reading went on. If so how. I usually have a cute font at the top saying VISUALIZING" and under this a movie type clip art. We call this strategy MOVIES IN OUR MIND. I always use a CONCRETE object to represent a strategy. This may even be your intro-movie bags of popcorn-small and to the point. Anyhoo.....create a box for DRAWING. At the bottom of the paper create some lines for writing. I even write the prompts?

-Did your mental image change as you read (the point) characters grow and change and so will our mental images. Explain your reason.
-Did you miss clues the author gave you? Explain
This last part could be a follow up for the next day-the panel could just turn and talk about how they changed. This way they see you are introducing, discussing, and following through on the lesson.

LAST STANZA I LOVE this poem.

My neighbor's dog looks nasty,
it has a wicked smile....
before my neighbor painted it,
it was a crocodile.

Hugs and good luck. You may google mental images because this is the same but these terms are used with the same purpose. I would even mention this in my lesson.

DONT FORGET to state WHY it is important for readers to create mental images as they read. Without these they don't remember characters, plot, settings!!! It is so important to stress this in the transition from picture books to chapter books.

It is late and we have a 8:00 all-star game in the am which means we leave by 6:45-if there are typos-sorry....This is my ROUGH draft

Munchkins

Wow, MoseyPosey!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I LOVE this for a lesson on visualizing! I'm going to bookmark it right now! Thanks for sharing, and hope you enjoyed your all-star game!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote