Transition from Preschool/Pre-K to Kindergarten? - ProTeacher Community

C83

C83

Transition from Preschool/Pre-K to Kindergarten?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I need some opinions.

I was wondering if anyone has made the transition from teaching preschool/pre-K to K, 1st, or even 2nd grade? I am certified in Early Childhood Education Birth - 2nd grade, but all of my experience (10 years) is in preschool and Pre-K, my oldest students being 5.

I was wondering if this would make it harder for me to get a job teaching Kindergarten or even 1st? Has anyone else made this transition? Does this compare to being a first year teacher w/no classroom experience or would I still be seen/respected as a teacher w/classroom experience (just with a different age group)?

Thanks in advanced.

BrownEyedGirl

Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I worry about this, too. I have the Early Childhood certification, as well. I've taught preschool for 3 years now. I'm content in Pre-K right now, but someday I might want to change grade levels, and I worry I won't be given the chance. Even when I had interviews, 99% of my interviews were for pre-k positions, I feel like I wasn't even considered for the primary grades even though my student teaching was in K and 2nd.
BrownEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kbaker2212

early childhood to Kdg
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This coming year will be my 7th year teaching. My bachelors is in Early Childhood and I now have my master's in SPED. I started my career with a job in a Title 1 preschool (even though I had always said I did not want Preschool). After two years I was called to interview for a KDG position at the school I student taught at. I had always wanted Kindergarten...I was so excited. 2 years later..laid off and went to another Kdg room, this past year I was hired for an Early CHildhood SPED room! I definitely think your concerns are valid! The only reason I got the job in Kdg. is because I had student taught with the other teachers. I do think other people see PReschool as more of a daycare job than teaching. People who have never taught it, have no idea what we do day to day and how important Early Childhood is to their overall development and social skills! Although I only had a couple of years under me, I still felt like they treated me as a first year teacher and I have to admit that there were many times I felt like one too! There is so much more curriculum in the elementary grade levels! And everything is driven by it! Even in Kindergarten, there is absolutely no developmental play time built in to the day! It is so overwhelming for the kiddos! I don't think I will ever go back to elementary/Kdg grades! There is never any time for social skill lessons and developmental play time!

Back to your question... I feel like teachers or administrators who don't have Preschool experience understand our job or respect it the way they should. In all honesty, I think it will be more difficult to get a grade level job if you are going up against people with experience in it; however, if you approach an interview with the knowledge of that grade level and go in selling yourself, I think it should be a fair game. (however, we all know that politics play a huge role in this!) It would probably be a lot harder for a 1st or 2nd grade interview, but if you go for KDG, I would emphasize your knowledge of where they are coming from entering KDg, how important social skills and character education are, and your experience with literacy since this is such a HUGE part of KDG!

Good luck, but again, I think Preschool is the BEST!
kbaker2212 is offline   Reply With Quote