Lesson for Beginning middle and end - ProTeacher Community

learnalways

Lesson for Beginning middle and end
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be teaching a lesson on Beginning middle and end to a group of k-2 students.

I was thinking of doing Henry and Mudge (just one chapter - not the whole book) and then doing an sequencing/writing activity using pictures and words.

I need a read aloud that I can have the kids ACTIVE as a modeling one to start it. Any suggestions?

I am trying to think of extension/rubric ideas for it after. I was thinking of having the kids write an adventure from their real life or a made up story of their idea using a graphic organizer. I would give vocabulary suggestions and the kinder kids can just do the drawing of their idea and I can help label it. I need all the help I can get...

Ideas for good read aloud for BME?
Extension activity?

Does my idea work well for a k-2 group?

THANKS FOR HELPING ME!

learnalways is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

How about
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the book, Rosie's Walk? I always use it to teach BME because it's short and easy to break down. I would think this late in the year, the kiddos will already understand BME...maybe not all the kinders. Remember the admins are not looking to see student mastery but rather if you have all the components of a lesson. Make sure you have a written target on the whiteboard etc(what students should learn in words that they will understand) and that you review. You could do a very familiar book...but make it short. They don't want to watch and listen to you read...they are more interested in how you handle/interact with the kids. How long is the demo lesson anyway? Make sure you don't run over!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

learnalways

Lesson
Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

25 minutes. 5 kids going into second, 2 going into first and 1 going into k.

I ♥ cats

Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The first thing that popped into my head for this is some sort of graphic organizer or chart with 3 boxes (one for beginning, one for middle, one for end). I really would keep the story short and familiar. That way they can concentrate on the BME skill rather than a new story. Henry and Mudge would work, but I'm wondering if it may be too long. Some suggestions:

The Three Bears, Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood or other familiar fairy tales
A Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Mitten or other Jan Brett stories

Have you ever seen this Sesame Street video about BME? It's old but really cute - a parody of a Talking Heads song. Might be cute to include if you have time. I'm not sure if that's active enough for your introduction?

For something else active, what about typing some very simple short stories yourself, then cutting them apart into beginning, middle, and end. Each student gets a slip of paper and they have to put them in the correct order. Since you will have 8 kids they could do this in partners.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Beginning Middle End
Old 06-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the anchor chart on the inspired apple blog.

msk1ell blogspot has some cute papers to use.

You could do a cute lift-the-flap (beginning/middle/end).
Idea 1
Idea 2 -what the teacher wants blog - this site won't let me link it. Sorry!

If you have a pinterest account, search beginning, middle, end. There are lots of good ideas.

Book suggestions: Stellaluna, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Marley Goes to School, Chrysanthemum, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Jan Brett books, The Snowy Day, Robert Munsch books, .

I would use a high interest picture book-a chapter book might be hard for them to sit through this time of year.

I teach K and most of my kindergarteners can write multiple sentences. Some may need help sound stretching words but should be mostly independent by this time of the year. You would be safe having them write at least a sentence and illustrate for beginning, middle, end. I have also taught first for 12+ years so they would definitely be able to write a beginning/middle/end.

Last edited by Tiffany; 06-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: link won't work
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

mamacanteach

Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would suggest a familiar book and have them reenact BME with 3 tableaux (working in small mixed age groups). It doesn't take long to teach tableaux and allowing them to work in groups would show off your classroom management skills. With this age I describe tableaux as a frozen picture. I give them a countdown and then pretend to snap a picture. You could also practice BME with other things (a plant growing). Another idea would be to retell the story by putting pictures or words on a clothesline.
mamacanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

learnalways

Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You guys are reading my mind! I am starting to make my BME chart right now. I saw that one on pinterest - THANKS to ABBY for making awesome stuff!!!

I am going to use the really cute (simple) story Smiley Shark. I have 8 copies - and a cd.

I am going to do the sheet for beginning middle and end and have the (going into kinder) kindergartener draw the picture as I am nervous that that kiddo can't write sentences yet. She will be going INTO k this year. I was thinking of just giving her the cut out pictures to glue on.

Then there are 2 going into first grade so I will have a box and a line with a flip book - saw that on pinterest too

Then the 5 going into 2nd will do the flip book too with multiple lines and slots for b.m,e.

As extensions I have cut up sentences for them to do b,m,e in order and glue them on paper

I also have rhyming word work because this book has a TON of rhyming words.

I will also bring my cd player so they are able to listen to the story if time permits!

I LOVE the clothesline idea!!! that is so cute! I have some pictures that I cut out that we can do this with as well!

???? What do you guys think?

Tiffany

learnalways
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good luck tomorrow! Sounds like it is going to be a good lesson. I think they are giving you a mix of levels so they can see how you will differentiate and they will also be watching your classroom management skills. I also agree with Irises about them looking for the components of a lesson. Just relax and go with the flow! Someone on another board posted that K's will listen to something faster/better if you sing it to them (so true!!!)-keep that in mind for classroom management. Keep us posted!
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think it sounds wonderful! I would have been proud to have my kids in your class!!!

ROCK THIS LESSON AND KNOCK THEIR SOCKS OFF!!!!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Sounds great
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Don't forget to leave a few minutes for closure! You probably have more than you can fit in for 25 minutes...might have to just address the fact that it's a rhyming book by asking what the kids notice while reading the story. Think "less is more" and stick with your objective. Don't throw too much at them. I like the cut and paste extension. Sounds like you really have a handle on it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote