Info on Kindergarten FOSS science units? - ProTeacher Community

Seascape

Info on Kindergarten FOSS science units?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have info on the main units of the FOSS science for kindergarten? I think they are Trees, Paper and Two by Two. If anyone could elaborate I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Seascape is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 06-17-2012, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

According to the website, the modules are divided up into k-2 and 3-6, so it might just depend on your school. This has some good info: http://www.fossweb.com/
anngirl is online now   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 06-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The building I sub in uses it and the kids love the fabric unit in K
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

mshunny

Foss Units
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught kindergarten my district used Foss Science.

We did Wood & Paper and Fabric. The Trees unit is a year long unit and the other ones we did for around 9 or 10 weeks. They are inquiry based units, so most of it is hands on.

We kept science journals which the students wrote in after every lesson. I usually did mine the next day due to time and the focus of the students.

I enjoyed Fabric way more than Wood & Paper. I think the kids did, too.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be glad to answer them.
mshunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Seascape

thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am still trying to figure out which modules are for kindergarten. The website is helpful.

Seascape

Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How did your district decide which modules to use for kindergarten? Did each site select their own or was it a district decision? Did your district teachers get Foss training? Does the whole grade level do the same unit at the same time? About how much time a week or a day do you spend on science? Do have to do ELD daily at your school site?

I did a yearlong tree unit not Foss. We adopted a tree on the school grounds. Of course for me it was easy due to my family history. (Redwoods) I did many other science units during the year not from Foss.

I did a science notebook, which the students really liked but I would love a better system next year. I used a notebook on one page teacher input and the other facing page the students input reactions, drawings and writings. The students really loved their notebooks and where always showing their parents the newest entries. (As they were drying in the windowsill in the morning from all the glue K students used the previous day)

Thanks in advance for the info

What kind of notebooks did you do? What did you use? Did you give any input into the notebooks?

Thanks

mshunny

Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the Foss website. You can print most of the lessons and handouts that are used on the website.

I currently do not teach kindergarten. If I find the extra handouts and things we used in our science notebooks, I will attach them. It's been two years so it may take a while. (I'm currently cleaning my filing cabinet.)

When we did them, our state was under a science iniative, so they paid for us to get training on each kit and how to teach inquiry based science. Basically a teacher taught us every lesson in the module. Very informative and helpful. We did two kits, one in the fall and one in the spring. We did Fabric in the fall and Wood & Paper in the spring. We didn't do Trees, but were told this was a year long module, dealing with the season and such with trees.
mshunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Seascape

Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was trying to get ahead of the game. I just found out we get to go to a Foss training this summer. I am very excited. Thanks for your input it will help knowing more going into the workshop.