Ideas or tips for 1st grade - ProTeacher Community

teachE2000

Ideas or tips for 1st grade
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for 12 years (9 years in kindergarten, 2 years in 3rd grade, and one year in 1st grade). I will be in 1st grade again this coming year. Does anyone have any good ideas to share?

teachE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

4+2

Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really don't have any ideas but, I too am going to teach 1st grade..I hope people give you good ideas so I can look at them
I think for me will be the 1st week of school, I use to teach higher grades , I just jumped in and started the lessons.
4+2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ReadingTchr28

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well coming from Kinder..you're all set!! This will be more for the person below you...lol I was in kindergarten for a year, while I loved to see them learn so much their 1st year of school, I like the independence they have in 1st.
Firsties are so much fun though!! They're more independent then kinders but still want your love and attention!! Good Luck!!! I'm sure some others have ideas.

They know most of the routine's you taught in kinder just need reminders. They can work alone more once the year progresses and can work with others as well. Once you've taught expectations.

----------------For the person coming to 1st from older grades---

Model, Model, Model.. when it comes to rules the first week. Then revisit rules. If say 3 months in to school they're having trouble staying in their seats or raising their hands. Stop for 5-10 minutes revisit that rule and model how to follow that rule.

They need to be shown everything as if they were kinders still. How to line up again, walk in the hall, sit at a desk (especially if they came from a kindergarten room w/ tables). How to put their books in their desks etc---model it all.

Give them brain breaks/breaks the first few months. They are still kinders.. they can't sit for very long. We'll do jumping jacks, Simon Says, I'll do the brain cards something to get them up and doing something different after 15-20 minutes of instruction because it's about all they can take.

Firsties are so much fun though!! They're more independent then kinders but still want your love and attention!! Good Luck!!! I'm sure some others have ideas.
ReadingTchr28 is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also going to first after 8 years in K so I'm looking for good ideas as well. I am looking forward to the independence, usually Sept is exhausting in K, but it'll be a nice change to start off around where I left the K's off.
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

4+2

Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the tips

t-e-a-c-h-e-r

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are all in this together! I'm moving from PreK to 1st! I'm using the summer to read books, curriculum books and blogs. I'm printing, saving docs and taking notes. I feel like I'm in grad school again!

t-e-a-c-h-e-r is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I think for me will be the 1st week of school, I use to teach higher grades , I just jumped in and started the lessons.
You're wise to understand that 1st doesn't work like that.

My first day will involve doing things to help them remember/practice rules. We'll color with our new crayons ( ) after practicing how to pass out papers. We'll then practice how to collect papers by turning in that coloring page. We'll write the alphabet and numbers to 20 so I can get a baseline of how they're doing/what they remember, practicing handing out and turning in pages with this, too. We'll take a tour of our room and practice our morning routine of putting up lunch and backpacks. (We'll get our backpacks off the hook, go into the hall and pretend like we just got there.) Then we'll have our morning time on the carpet doing pledges, calendar and begin counting the days of school. I really enjoy paper folding and we'll begin to learn how to fold paper and make books. (I've saved up lots of scrap paper.) I'm starting Whole Brain Teaching, so we'll practice the 5 rules first, then after each recess/lunch,and before we go home. Sometime after lunch we'll have our first (and only) official lesson of the day...Bible. (I'm in a Christian school.) My curriculum starts very slowly, so I'll begin Phonics/Reading and maybe Math on the 2nd day. We will also be learning how to play all sorts of games, which will become centers later.

I can't remember more off the top of my head. If I do, I'll post again.

Oh, kids will be bringing in supplies that first day or whenever your school does that. Some teachers have containers/sacks for each type of supply brought in and the kids sort out what they've brought. I have a small class and have them put all they brought into a labeled Walmart sack, after tissues and wipes are placed on a table. I go through them when the kids leave, but if I had a large class, I'd take the time to let the kids sort out their things into containers/sacks with picture labels.

That first day, don't stay at school a long time after the kids leave. You'll be very tired and tomorrow is another day.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Couple of things
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My children have a Take Home Notebook. It goes home every night to help children learn responsibility.

All of this is in a 1 inch 3 ring binder. I will be buying sturdier ones this year. But held them together with duct tape this year. Before I used plastic report folders, but I love the ease of adding pages.

• The front pocket is for Important Papers: notices, permission slips, homework, etc. Notes from parents lunch orders etc.
  • The back pocket is for papers that are finished and graded/checked, student drawings, (never to return to school stuff).
  • I have put in a pencil pouch and include 2-3 sharpened pencils. As the year progresses I had word cards, and a deck of playing cards for math games.
  • I add some dividers and page protectors.
  • Math section: copy of number bonds (facts) to be learned and directions for math card games
  • Poetry Pocket/Theater Scripts: I start with Hickety Pickety that we chant to learn each others names, pledge to flag, school song, reader's theater pages (I use these for fluency). the children always have something to read at home.
  • Words: No-Excuse Words from kindergarten and the 1st grade words, weekly spelling lists,
  • Rules:class rules and procedures, school behavior expectations
  • On the front page is the weekly homework assignments. The parents are expected to initial that they have checked the folder and helped student complete work. Each morning I do a quick check and put a sticker in the parent box-no initials I write in a question mark.
At Michael's end of summer sale I found some crayon box size clear plastic tubs (think leftovers). I gave one to each child for their crayons. Should have done this 20 years ago. The children could easily see their crayons and it kept them in one place, and prevented rolling off the desk. I collected them at the end of the year-ran through my dish washer on the top rack and they back at school ready for another year.

I have the children have individual supplies in their own desk. I was one of the kids who took care of my crayons. Some first like them broken and peeled. Also some of notorious pencil chewers and what a way to spread germs....
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

4+2

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks.. I am putting together a list of all the good ideas. I am going to a new town and new school, so hopefully with everything being new ..I will have list I can go back and look at.

ThankaTchr

community tubs vs pencil boxes...
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have done both in 6yrs of K and agree with pros of each choice- but from 1st to 6th at our school we ALL have round tables, no desk with underneath storage. What should I do? I have the boxes but no room!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote