First day ideas for 6th grade please - ProTeacher Community

srobles

First day ideas for 6th grade please
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to sixth grade this year. I'd like some ideas of what you do on the first day. I don't want to use my activities from 4th grade. Any ideas would be welcome

srobles is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do this as an art project: http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2008...line-drawings/

We go over how lines convey emotion, and I encourage the kids to do a self-portrait with wacky hair that conveys how they feel on that day. Then I hang them like a border along the classroom ceiling all year.

I also have a lot of my class library books scattered around the classroom, and we do a mini-lesson on book genre. The students then work together to decide what genre each book is and put it in the correct section of my library shelves. This serves many purposes: It is a mini-lesson on genre, introduction to books available for them to read, and practice working in groups. It also helps me see who is most interested in books and who might need more encouragement. And finally it gives reluctant readers exposure to a lot of book titles and blurbs that sometimes encourages them to pick up a book on their own.

It's time-consuming and a PITA to set up and monitor, frankly, but I think it's a valuable use of time.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

kmob

check out this thread...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last summer there was a thread with about a dozen back to school ideas, including some of my own. Hope it helps http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=345048
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

LucyK

Other than organizing
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i like to play "two truths and a lie"

Always a great ice breaker- and the students love sharing about themselves!
LucyK is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

kmob
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for posting that thread, kmob Saves me repeating my ideas!

MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

GeminiTwin

First Week
Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

During the first week, I have the students write a letter to themselves about what they hope to accomplish this year. I also have them fill out a list of favorites like favorite song, favorite activity, etc. These change so much in a year. They trace their hand and foot on a piece of paper and we put it all in an envelope. On the last week of school they open them and laugh at how much they have changed and grown.
GeminiTwin is offline   Reply With Quote

srobles

Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much for the excellent ideas!
srobles is offline   Reply With Quote

TopazTeacher

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I created a questionaire and they have to partner interview. Then, they have to write a biography of their partner. They can then either bring in a picture to put on their "newspaper article" page, or they can draw a portrait of that person.

You could also do a game where you have the students pick how many M & M's the kids want 1-10. Then whatever number they picked, they have to tell something about themselves to the class.

Another fun game is "Getting Acquainted Checklist". They have to walk around and ask each other questions from the teacher made checklist (for example: someone who went to the movies this summer, someone who likes Mexican food, someone who is the tallest in the class, etc). They can only have one person's name only up to two times on their list.

I hope this makes sense. Good Luck.
TopazTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Nate'sMom

Smile and Say "Cheese"
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've always taken a photo of my students the first day (individually). After I receive printed copies I use them as the "border" of my big bulletin board. This remains the border for the year.
Also, for each of my classes I feature weekly "Star Students" (beginning around Sept. 24th). I move the photographs of my "Stars" to a different area where I also put information about the students (favorite movie, food, etc.). Near the end of the year I take another photo and give both copies to my students to keep. Sometimes we have time during the last week to do a writing assignment to compare our appearances on Day 1 vs Day 170.

Lots of neat ideas have been shared! Thanks to all posters!!
Nate'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

jenteacher

Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a list of 30 random questions on their desks when they come in. I give them about 10 minutes to work on it and then we talk about the answers. (the questions are things like What is your favorite food? Would you eat a bug for $100, What is under your bed at home etc.) I then go through a powerpoint with all of our procedures. I share with them 10 things you need to know about Mrs. L and their assignment is to write ten things I need to know about them. We also go on a classroom "scavenger hunt" to find materials, book corner, restroom passes etc. We end the half day with an activity that involves the students all signing their names on a big piece of paper where I have written "We Are A Team." I talk about how we will be tested this year and will need to stick together. I rip up the paper and give them tape and they have to put it together as a class with no talking.
jenteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ALLYBABA

Great site
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Anything here will be a big hit, check it out. http://www.deepspacesparkle.com
ALLYBABA is offline   Reply With Quote

Redoat

Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks these are GREAT
Redoat is offline   Reply With Quote