Help

ARCHIVE

can I teach 4th?

>

Viola Swamp

can I teach 4th?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just graduated and was offered a job teaching 4th grade! I've never had experience with that high of a grade level (student teaching was done in K and 2). I'm so nervous! I've had some experience with 3rd grade and I really enjoyed it, but in the district that I would work in 4th is part of the middle school so I will be completely out of my element.

Can anyone offer some advice about 4th? Is there a drastic difference between 3rd and 4th? Can I do this???

Viola Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Kim/4th/SC

Love it!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 4th for 5 years and loved it. Fourth graders are still sweet, but mature enough to work independently. They also still like to have fun and get humor. I also enjoyed teaching the curriculum for this age.

After having taught 2nd for a year, I'd have to say I prefer 4th.

Kim
Kim/4th/SC is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Fourth is great!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I find that the level of work is much more difficult in fourth than third, but the kids are just a little older. I went to school wanting to teach primary, but ended up on fourth grade. I'm so glad it happened that way. The kids are still sweet and cute, and they still really like their teacher. There isn't usually the attitude of the older kids (though it sometimes starts at the end of the year). They can do a lot of fun projects and are so much more independent than the littler ones. As an added bonus, I have learned a lot about ss and science by teaching fourth grade. These kids are expected to know so much! Is the change drastic? No. Not for you, but maybe for the kids. I think you'll love 4th grade! Good luck!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

hkinner

Yes you can
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congrats on your new job. I was the opposite and I student taught in upper elementary and was offered a first grade teaching job. I was a nerves wreak, but it took a few weeks to get used to it and after teaching first grade for two years now I never want to change grade levels.

When I was in college a teacher told me this, A good teacher can teach any grade. I believe in this and if you try your best then you can make it happen. I do have to admit that teachers are better at some grades more then others, but they will be able to teach any age. I say go for it.
hkinner is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught 4th grade last year after teaching 6th & 7th for 2 years. For me, they were a little too young and immature, but I was used to working with older kids. I also taught a couple of subjects of a 3rd grade class, and I thought they were very different from my 4th graders. I think it depends on who is in the class, though. That 3rd grade class seemed SO young compared to my 4th graders. Overall I enjoyed 4th; I just prefer 6th.

SC is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

4th
Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can't believe 4th is middle school in your district. The kids are so young. I LOVE 4th. This is my 3rd year to teach 4th. I had inclusion and now its part of a multiage class. We have a lot of testing, but if you just do what you love which is teach, then there's no problem. 4th graders are still sweet, love to give hugs and try to please me each day, of course you get a few girls who act like little teenagers already, but I really enjoy 4th. Boys act a little silly in 4th but nothing you can't handle.
t.

BirdSong

Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I LOVE 4th graders! It's really not thatmuch of a difference b/w 3rd and 4th. At the beginning of the year, they are just big 3rd graders. By the end of the year, they are small 5th graders. It's amazing the growth they make during this year. You see a lot of maturing take place...yet they are still sweet enough to make you cards and write you letters. I wouldn't want to teach any other grade level.
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

Some sites with great ideas and activities
Old 05-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Fourth and fifth grade Music and Art resources
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedFo...1217/arts.html
Fourth Grade Skills Online for kids
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/skills_4th.htm
Fourth Grade-Audrey Fine's Fourth Grade
http://teacherweb.com/OH/Cleveland/AudreyFine/
Fourth Grade-Miss Morrow's 4th grade
http://www.camas.wednet.edu/helenbal...roy/index.html
Fourth Grade-Mrs. McElroys's 4th grade
http://www.camas.wednet.edu/helenbal...roy/index.html
Fourth Grade-Mrs. Passetto's 4th grade class
http://www.geocities.com/pass4teach/
Fourth Grade-Mrs. Quamme' Fourth and Fifth grade
http://www.myschoolonline.com/site/0...-86253,00.html
Fourth Grade-Mrs. Renz's 4th grade class
http://www.redmond.k12.or.us/patrick/renz/
Fourth Grade-Room 33's Learning Village (Teri)
http://homepage.mac.com/tchnteri/Education2.html
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote
GoVols

GoVols

fourth grade teacher
Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was certain upon college graduation that I wanted to teach first grade (after all, I'd done my student teaching in first and loved it). So God gave me my heart's desire and let me get a one-year interim in the grade I adored right out of college. I was taking over for a teacher on maternity leave whom I was told probably wouldn't be back. Well, after that first year I was SO glad it was only an interim position and I wasn't 'trapped', because I DID NOT love it. That's my God for you. So, I'm on the hunt for a job again when an opportunity to teach fourth comes up. Even though I now knew I didn't want first, I still thought fourth was too high and waited around to land a spot in second or third. Long story short, it didn't happen and the new school year was quickly approaching. In desperation (and with much nervousness and self-doubt) I took the fourth grade spot. Well, I loved it and still do five years later. I imagine I'll always teach this grade. Unless God has other plans for me, that is. I learned in all this that His ways are always best and I just need to trust.

yoda

posted links
Old 06-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

FYI~ Some of the links (Quamme, Learning Village, and Fine) posted are no longer active or could not be found. I love Mrs. Renz's website.

I agree with the other posters. I completed my student teaching in 2nd grade but could only find jobs in middle school. So majority of my career has been in middle school. I've only taught 4th grade for a couple of years. It's my experience that they are sweet and still want to please the teacher for the most part.

Last edited by yoda; 06-04-2007 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: added broken links
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Dana893

Love Fourth
Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I taught second grade for six years then changed schools where fourth was all that they were hiring for. I must say it was an adjustment, but I will never go back. Third would be as low as I teach now that I am used to the older kids.

It's true - they are sweet and lovable, and are still tying to please their teacher.
Dana893 is offline   Reply With Quote