Pros of Substitute Teaching? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

SunShining

Pros of Substitute Teaching?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I graduated in 2011 and had 5 interviews but no job offers last summer, so I spent the past school year subbing. Even though there is still plenty of time to get hired (schools here usually start in early September), I'm trying to prepare myself for another year of subbing. Last year I was only in 1 district, and I'm hoping to add a few more this summer.

Can any other subs help me with a list of pros for substitute teaching vs. having your own classroom? Obviously there are cons too, but I'm just looking for the pros! Here's what I can think of so far:

- No lesson planning
- No prepping materials (usually)
- No taking home papers to grade
- No parent conferences
- No report cards
- If a school or class is a nightmare I don't ever have to go back

... what else?

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

Subbing Pros
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can only think of two at the moment. These are pros, for me, at least.

Working when you want. In 5 years, I took off four days. The first was because I had major gallbladder pains and wouldn't have lasted at all. The others were for fieldtrips and a day just to have off.

Working with several grade levels and subjects. Through subbing, I have learned that I am fine teaching any subject 2nd-6th grade. I want to teach primary school, but I would be okay working in a middle school, having experience there.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Gather ideas from the classrooms in which you sub for your own classroom some day! (Start a binder with ideas)

Refine your classroom management skills. One area that can sink a teacher faster than almost anything else.

The pure experience of it. There are so many things a teacher needs to know that just cannot be taught in the college classroom. They are learned on the job. Subbing is a great way to do this.

Networking in order to find your own classroom.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Pros
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No packing up all your materials at the end of the year and unpacking and artfully arranging at the beginning of the next.

No getting shifted from one grade (or school) to another at the last minute when the beginning of the year census indicates too few or too many teachers present.

No end of the year paperwork: report cards, cum folders, notes for the next year's teacher, permanent record attendance and grade recording, page long checklists to fulfill before signing out.

No big dollar expenses for books, paper, pencils, crayons, scissors, folders, references, black line masters, conferences, etc. because the district can't or won't buy what is needed to support a classroom.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

More Pros
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You get a good feel for the grade level you'd like to teach, and can speak to WHY you prefer that grade when you have an interview.

You get a good feel for the curriculum at different schools, and how it's handled in a real classroom (as opposed to how you learned it in college.)

You get to have real fun with the kids! You're a new person, and you don't have the added stress of long-term learning. That's not to say that I don't cover lessons, it's just that I'm a new person and can teach it in a new way. And have fun with it!

My biggest pro: One good joke can be told over and over for weeks without the same children hearing it more than once!

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

TSmith609

Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I subbed last year as well and am glad I did as I learned alot.

Pro's
-Variety of assignments and staff you get to work with. I learned alot from the other teachers in the grade levels I subbed in...alot of what NOT to do and what TO DO. Like someone else suggested I have kept a list of good ideas that I plan to use in my own classroom when I get one.

- You are able to try out different grade levels and types of rooms without having to commit and will soon learn what you like and DON'T like. I learned that I LOVE Special ed especially working in resource rooms and with autistic students and that I DISLIKE working with 5 and 6th graders but that 1st-3rd graders are pure JOY.

- As someone else said you get to hone your classroom management skills. I've learned quite a bit through trial and error about what works and does not work. Also learned by observing other teachers styles and seeing what works and what does not.
TSmith609 is offline   Reply With Quote
KSRS

KSRS

Sub & Certified Teacher
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can add being able to take off a day when I need to for family business, doctor, funeral, or mental health day without having to ask pretty please.