Letters of recommendation from mentors - ProTeacher Community

needajob

needajob

Letters of recommendation from mentors
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first mentor teacher hasn't replied to my email about writing a letter of recommendation, and it's been a week.

My second mentor teacher keeps giving me excuses why she can't write one, but says she will. Should I keep bothering her?

What if I can't get these letters? How do I get a job?

mentorteach

Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What were your evaluations like? If they were negative, you're likely not to hear back from your supervising teachers, or they will just write you a personal reference rather than a job recommendation. You can also ask your university supervisor to write you a letter of recommendation, any of your education professors and a teacher for whom you may have done some clinical observations.

This is a busy time of the year, so if you had great student teaching experiences and the problem is timing, you need to keep emailing. Perhaps they would like to get a copy of your resume and final eval so that they have a frame of reference for your letter?

"I certainly don't mean to pester you at this very busy time of the school year, but I would really like to have a letter of recommendation, one that documents my time in your classroom. I have attached a resume and some other information that might give you a better frame of reference for my background. This is the "job hunting season" for new teachers, as you may remember, and it would be great if I could get a letter from you by this Friday. If there is a reason you don't feel like you can write this letter, please just let me know and I will understand and try to look elsewhere."
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Melissa

Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My first Co-op teacher was like that. She kept telling me she'd do it, and she kept forgetting. I had to get my college supervisor on her after I was done with the placement. She claimed she lost the sheet! I had called the school and left her several messages with my number, so she could call back! Anyways, when she finally did give me a rec, it was OK, not great like my the ones from my supervisor and other co-op teacher. I decided not to use the rec in the end, and had the head of the education department write one ofr me instead. I got hired very quickly, and no one ever asked me why I didn't have a letter from my first co-op teacher.
Miss Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote

PeggyAnnMcKay

Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think this is a common problem during this time of year. One of my CTs gave me a letter right away, but the other I had to keep "pestering". I don't know if you have time for this or not, but I asked the principal to come in for a formal observation of one of my lessons. I was then able to ask him for a letter of recommendation, which he gave me within a few days. Also, try asking your college professors that have gotten to know you well. Another person you could try would be your college supervisor. Try any and all options - the worst they could do is say no. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you!
PeggyAnnMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote

jewelchick02

Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I finished in December with the promise of a letter from my coop-teacher and college supervisor. I have recieved them from neither. My coop-teacher will not reply to emails or anything so I've given up on her. I'm hesitant to bother with my super because she has so much going on.

It took a full year to get the one from my advisor and she just emailed it to me- thus I have no signed copy.

I feel your pain, it sort of makes you feel like they don't care but really it's a matter of priorities. I agree that you should persist with the stand back attitude (I don't want to bother you but...).
One thing I've already learned is you've got to fight for yourself because sometimes no one else will. Good luck!

jewelchick02 is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 07-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think it's fairly common. I asked one of my teachers for over two months for one and the other said she'd write me one when school got out. In my case my portfolio and glowing personality was good enough and the school just called my references. Granted I did have a few letters but none from my classroom teachers.

Tons of luck and make sure the phone numbers are summer numbers.
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote