Fourth grade spelling - ProTeacher Community

Hteacher1

Fourth grade spelling
Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I'm working at a new school that doesn't have a solid reading program. We are switching over to common core and are figuring out what to buy. I'm wondering if anyone has any good sites for find spelling lists for fourth graders? Thanks!

Hteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Michie

Spelling Lists
Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

www.k12reader.com/fourth-grade-spelling-words
Michie is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

words their way?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's not a web site; however, I highly recommend this for Spelling instruction.
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorelly

Seconded
Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I second Words Their Way. I like how it teaches students spelling and sound patterns in words. There are lots of teachers on spelling city who have uploaded 4th grade lists, and most libraries have the basic books for the different levels of spellers in your room.
sailorelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Words Their Way
Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My principal asked me to pilot this this past year. I LOVED IT and will be using it again next year. One of the Common Core standards for ELA is to know and apply phonics-based rules. Words Their Way does a really nice job with patterns. It also lends itself nicely to differentiation. I placed kids in a few different groups based on the inventory. I loved it and saw huge gains in my students spelling and phonics skills!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

dunwool

How do you structure your WTW week?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am new to 4th grade and used WTW during my student teaching but the other teachers in my building don't like WTW. I've heard such good things I really want to try it, but want it to be a valuable use of time. Do you have a certain schedule you use? I'm reading the book this summer but wondered if you had any good tricks! Thanks for your help!
dunwool is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

wtw
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I give the beginning of the year inventory to all students.
After determining placement (I try to limit my number of groups to 3- 4 at the most to make Spelling Tests easier to give.), the students are assigned a group. Each group's materials are color-coded for in-class. I used card stock to copy words and keep them stored in envelopes.
I utilize Daily 5 (more of a Daily 3 with 5 components) and each day the students have a word work assignment using their wtw list.
Students have tic-tac-toe choice board for spelling homework involving words- practice independently mon-thurs.
Monday I meet with each group and discuss spelling pattern/ perform initial instruction. We have a check-in day 2 and quick review.
Spelling tests given on Friday. I try to pull one group during morning work, if possible. Usually I just give 3 Spelling Tests during Writing block while other students are working on Writing paper or other assignment.
It took a little bit to get used to routine, but has really done wonders for students and is not so complicated to me now.

Here is a link that may be helpful:
http://www.elltoolbox.com/words-their-way.html

The teacher is an ELL instructor; however, I have found her information VERY insightful and pertinent to all learners.
Hope this helps!

activikris

Question for Shellea
Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What kind of activities do you assign during daily 5?
activikris is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Spelling Menu
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The students have a Spelling/ Word Work Menu from which they choose activities.

My classwork menu changes each month and contains fewer choices (usually 12), a few hands-on activities/ sorts. Students are required to perform one activity from each category.
I'm revamping my monthly Word Work menus to include activities I found on pinterest that utilize a printable I-Pad/ keyboard, etc. I do utilize sorts recommended by wtw- partner sort, speed sort, spelling pattern sort, blind sort, word hunt, etc. The students organize the sorts using a tree map, if applicable.

This is my homework menu which I have used for 3 years (making small changes here and there.) The format is not my creation; however, I can't recall where I found it originally.

I use the same basic format for my in-class word work menu; however, there are usually 3-4 choices per category. I also ensure that the activities included on the menu can be completed in 10-15 minutes at the most. (I do not use the magazine/ newspaper cut & paste in class do to the amount of time it can take some students plus clean up.)

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: doc spelling menu.doc (114.5 KB, 243 views)

bgsu99

Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the website- there is some good info on it and I like the list. I think I'm going to talk to my teaching partner about using something like this!
bgsu99 is offline   Reply With Quote

historygirl24

Love it!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Shellea- I absolutely love the spelling menu. What an excellent way to make spelling fun and engaging for the kids. Thanks for sharing!
historygirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote