Do you tear out workbook pages for the kids? - ProTeacher Community

desert flower

Do you tear out workbook pages for the kids?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I normally have my workbook pages torn out for me, by parents, and have like pages paper clipped together so that I can file them and pull them out as needed, but I was thinking about leaving the pages in the workbook this year, and letting the student pull out their own pages. My fear is that if I let the child do it, the pages will get torn or lost. What do you do?

desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Xb4me

Math only
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only tear put the math workbook pages so I can strategically choose which pages fit best the needs of my students. I have three different books and trying to mange them was a nightmare.

I keep the ELA workbooks intact since I have two workbooks...one for Themes 1-3 and one for Themes 4-6. These books are easier to use intact.
Xb4me is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_c

Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I keep reading workbooks intact, as they follow along with our weekly lesson and tearing them out would be pointless. They keep the workbook in their desk.

This upcoming year, we're getting a new math series, Go Math. The textbook is actually a workbook...the pages are perforated and consumable. I'm assuming I won't take them out, since the actual lesson is also a workbook page. I think it will be much easier to manage keeping them together.

In fact, I've never taken workbook pages out...never really saw the need. What is the benefit? Just being able to pull pages as needed?
mrs_c is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your responses. Personally, I like tearing out the consumables because it gives me peace of mind. I know that students won't lose a page, or tear it in half. On the other hand, I'm going to try the method of leaving them intact. We'll see how it goes.

lionessmess

I let thm...
Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I let them tear it out as we go. I haven't had too much of a problem with tearing......there is always tape handy though!

lionessmess is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Workbook pages
Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year, I let my second graders tear them out. If they ripped it, then they fixed it with tape. If they had difficulty, then they asked me.
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well it's good to know that there aren't to many lost pages by doing it this way.

ConnieWI

Everyday Math Student Journal
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The only "workbook" in my classroom is the Everyday Math student journal. This stays intact all year. Often, I refer students to similar problems when they are having difficulty with a new problem. We look at the old problem as a reminder of how it was solved.

I don't see any reason to take workbooks apart. If you don't do it in the order of the pages, then just tell students your will be coming back to that page on another day. They are old enough to understand this reasoning, and old enough to find the right page number for assigned work.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I agree
Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

with ConnieWI. I have never had students tear workbook pages out. I've taught 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I like having all the pages together. My students use their completed pages to help review for tests and it helps the parents see the progression of their work.

We skip things and I tell them we may or may not come back to it. They are fine with it. I haven't had any problems.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

I let them tear them out
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like to send home the torn out pages to give the parents feedback.

I model how to tear out a page...you'd be surprised at some of their techniques. I'd say once a week someone would need some tape. Third graders are responsible enough to know what is "tape worthy" and what is not. They know to go get the tape themselves and I don't need to be involved, unless it is a major problem. Despending on the thickness of the pages, you can always have the students run their scissors along the edge to make it easier to tear.

By the way, to help the students distinguish between the many workbooks the publishers give, I have the students draw vertical lines with marker along the edges of the workbook. "Take out the red workbook. Take out the blue workbook."

If they tear out the wrong page, I have them turn it in to a special basket. Then, when we actually go do that page, they are responsible for searching through the basket for theirs.

If a page gets lost, I just send someone to the office and have the secretary make a quick copy. It's only happened a few times.

When I taught first grade, I had the parents rip out the pages. To me, the few bumps in having the students rip their own far outweighs the hassle of having the parents rip them out. (I always had mistakes!)

Give it a try! If you don't like it after a month, you can always have the parents rip and file. Good luck!
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

#room4rocks...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you. I like the different color line things!

mommaharding

Tear out when completed
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have students tear out after the page is completed if it is something I will personally be grading. That way if I want to grade at home, it is easier. We leave it in if it is something we are doing together. I do want graded work torn out and sent home, so parents can see their students work.

At first, I need to help several students whose manual dexterity isn't as good. But, they get the hang of it later in the year. I don't have them tear out until completed, because if there is a missing paper, then it usually is still attached in the book.
mommaharding is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

Copies
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I stopped reordering the consumable copies and make individual photocopies instead. I hate the double sided pages, plus I don't use them very often anymore except math.
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hmm, I'd say teach the kids how to rip them out. My son was left to his own to rip them out and they were a mess. Show them how to fold the page and then rip, lots of showing and I bet they could do it. Maybe assign the kids who are good at it to help the others rip.
knitting987 is offline   Reply With Quote

ctrmom

Old 10-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach first and I like to send math pages home with a grade so parents can see what we are doing and how their child is doing. There are definite techniques to successful page tearing in first grade, but they can do it! I have only been teaching 3 years, but my first year I taught next to a great teacher who had been teaching 1st grade for 40 years. She let me in on this technique. I teach "pinch, pull, slide, pinch,pull, slide" with lots of modeling. The left hand holds down the page at the top, on the left of the perforation. The right hand pinches the top of the page on the right between thumb and finger. Then they pull and it will tear a little. Then they loosen their pinch grip a little and slide their hands down to where the tear stopped. They repeat this down the page. It usually takes 3 "pinch, pull, slide"s to rip out a page. Our math workbooks are quite thick (we use GoMath), so at the front of the book we practice pulling straight to the side. When we are tearing out pages from the middle and end of the book we pull hold them straight up in the air and pull towards the ceiling because they have that hump of folded pages or page stubs to get over. We ignore little rips and only occasionally need tape to mend something that gets in the way of completing the problems. Now, can anyone give me any tips on helping those couple of kiddos who can never find the right page?

Last edited by ctrmom; 10-04-2013 at 01:10 PM..
ctrmom is offline   Reply With Quote