Gallup Questions - ProTeacher Community

anon amy

anon amy

Gallup Questions
Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone been asked to fill out 12 "Gallup Questions" that deal with teaching? A district that I've applied to has asked me to do so and some of the questions are strange.

4turtle

took a version of it
Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just took the teacher insight interview by Gallop-it was much more than 12 questions though--probably closer to 80, multiple choice and best answer type questions. And they will not release the results to the applicants. It was kind of wierd in the questions it asks. There were many that were just reversed or asked in negative form to see if you would give the same answer....odd.

mentorteach

The Insight?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Insight test has more than 12 questions, and it is timed to try and get your gut responses. There are questions about how you view your role as a teacher, how you view the students, parents and team members; however, they are written in such a nuanced way as to try and cause you to overthink. I have been on hiring panels and the purpose to these tests is to weed out people who pick what education psychologists would define as "obviously wrong for a teaching position." The key is to be very centered on what is best for the students and to not pick answers that make you sound extreme. For example, you should not aim to get the students to like you, rather to earn their respect by solid instruction. Your punishments should never be punative, rather consistent. Never focus too much on yourself!
anon amy

anon amy

Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I asked the Social Studies teacher across the hall from me in the school where I am subbing. He said what I am refering to is an older test that preceeded the computerized teacher insight test. He was surprised that anyone is still using it.

I have taken the online teacher insight test, what they don't tell you is that you need to have thirty to fourty minutes of time when you can't be interupted. I got up from my computer to talk on the phone. When I can back I found that the test had kicked me off and I couldn't resume. I called the district and they were like, too bad you can take it again in a year.

GraceK

GraceK

Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lol, I thought you meant Gallup, NM had a questionairre for you to fill out. I have taught in Gallup and was not remembering any questions. heehee.

Nope, never done that test. Had to do a personality test for a p/t grocery store job, flunked the "integrity" putting me at a high risk for embezzlement. Ironic, since I am probably the most honest person I know with regards to thievery. I had my three young kids there driving me crazy though, so perhaps that threw me off?

Elle1

Elle1

question
Old 07-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I took the gallup test last year. Do I have to take it again to be considered for a teaching position?

Crinkles

Crinkles

Teacher Librarian
Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I took the Gallup test for teachers last month and it was an online timed test that took at least 30 minutes. Each question is timed and the first part of the test you were allowed 45 seconds to answer each question or you timed out. I could not decide how to answer one question and I was timed out and the test asked me if I wanted to resume taking it. I said yes and it went on to the next question. It would not let you finish the one you were on. The other part of the test I was given 30 seconds to answer each question. The questions are multiple choice and some answers are way off in left field so you know they can't be right. Some however are difficult because two of the answers could fit the situation. I struggled with what we did for discipline in one school vs. what we did in another. The test is child centered and so keep that in mind. I called Gallup and they will not tell you if you passed. Gallup did tell me that the first time you take it is the best results because you react to what you would do without over thinking the question. I called the school district and was told that the perimeters for the district were your score had to be between 60-68. I don't know what that means because how was each question scored? I am applying in another district that also requires this test and I have to decide whether to send my current score over from Gallup or take it again. If I did badly the first time and I send it to the other district then I have essentially lost the opportunity to interview in two districts for a year. (Gallup will let you take it again in one year in the same district) I am trying to get the first district to at least tell me if I passed so I know whether or not to take the test in the other district. Personally, having a teaching license and a MA degree is all for nothing if they base everything on the Gallup test. How does everyone else feel about this test?

CO teacher

CO teacher

teacher
Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was unable to interview in the Capistrano district (CA) after taking this poll. Questions like, "if you knew a co worker was stealing office supplies, would you turn them in?" "Would you consider your lesson plans 'outrageous'", "does it matter if your students like you". they are very ambiguous questions that could be well justified in an interview process, but not by "agree/disagree". Watch out!

audriana

I wish we could get the results!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did the teacher insight and applied to another district so I took it again even though I could have had the scores from the first test sent to the second district.

Sometimes I really didn't agree with any of the choices and I wanted to be able to explain my answers!

I got a job, but I wonder if anyone really looked at those answers!
Texasgirl71

Texasgirl71

Teacher Wannabe
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I took this test and never heard back from the districts. My problem was with the "would you break the rules" questions. I can't think how any school district would want a teacher to break the rules to help a child. But, there are no questions about how you would solve the problem, like going through the proper channels to elicit the necessary changes. No, I would not jeopardize my family's welfare to "break the rules" if I believed the child was right and the school was wrong. If they actually think that is a good answer, I guess I will always fail this test. But, how do I know, I can't get my scores or a report.
I am pretty sure I used sound pedagogical and psychological based theory in answering the questions, but never heard back from either district.
Believe me, they do read the answers. I think it should be illegal not to provide, at least, a score so that we can see how we did and know what we are "not in tune with the experts" concerning our responses.
Of course, these tests are probably only used in non-union states such as Texas. Otherwise, the union reps would be screaming bloody murder. I have my MBA, Teacher Certification, and I am going for my MEd. I have spent and gone into thousands of dollars of debt - why - to have a 45 minute abstract test developed by a polling company tell me whether I can teach. This is both sad and pathetic.

pam007

pam007

Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I took the test last August and felt pretty confident that I aswered the questions to the best of my ability and honestly. I just completed an application for a Sub position with another school district. At the end of the appliction it stated that I had to take the teacher insight test. It asked me if I wanted to take it again or use the results from the one on file. I chose to save myself the 40 minutes and confident in my results chose to pass the results on to the new school district. I got to thinking what my results were. I found out you have to call the school district and they will tell you. I called the first school district and was told I did not " meet the qualifications based on the test" the HR lady at this school district would not directly say " you failed" I called Gallup and after 20 minutes of trying to get the girl on the other end to understand that there should be a clear understanding of how to get the results and that if we do not " meet the qualifications/ pass" it would be a good idea to take it again. Now remember you get to take it once a year for each school district. With a sick feeling in my stomach feeling I called the new school district and found out " I did not meet the qualifications based on the test" and I was not eligable to apply for another year. This is just for a sub position, I can't even apply for a teaching position now. I sabotaged myself without even knowing. I blame Gallup for not being very clear as to how to know if you passed or failed and prevent something like this happening. I am sure I am not the only one this has happen to. Becareful. call the district 2 days later and find out if you passed. If not take it again if offered the opportunity what can it hurt. You can only take it once a year for each district.

TeacherIBE

TeacherIBE

Middle of the Line?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Mentorteach,

Is it better to answer down the middle and be leaning toward what's best for the child? What about the lying/cheating questions? Would you "break the rules," to benefit the child? Is it good to be competitive in the classroom? Is "making decisions for others," going to benefit the child? Sometimes you have to make a decision for someone, but to benefit their development and self-actualization, you have to let them make decisions and realize the consequence. One of the 12 Areas of an Effective Teacher is 'Focus,' moving in a planned direction. So when the question says, "I easily adapt to change," what is the best answer??

This sure causes a lot of stress and headache. I thank you for your advice already, and hope you can reply to this message! Thank you much Mentorteach. I appreciate your mentoring.

Wonderful! TeacherIBE