Can someone explain Dr. Who to me? - ProTeacher Community

anonymouse

Can someone explain Dr. Who to me?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Netflix has recommended Dr. Who because of the types of shows I enjoy watching. I went on wikipedia to see what the show is all about. Can someone give me an idea of the premise - I understand that the first few seasons of the shows have disappeared or were taped over by the BBC. Can you still pick up the show in later years and still understand what's going on? Thanks.

JulieG04

Absolutely!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you start watching the current BBC "revival" of Dr. Who, the show will fill in a lot of blanks for you. That's not to say that there aren't references to previous incarnations of the Doctor, but I've had very little trouble catching up.

I LOVE the 'new' Dr. Who and highly recommend it (my DH loves the 9th Doctor, where the current BBC series begins). There's lots and lots I'm not thinking of right now, but watch, enjoy, and no worries!

yesteach

Love it...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to watch Dr. Who many years ago (the Fourth Doctor was my first time seeing the show), when it started airing on PBS in the 70's. Then it sort of faded away here in the states, but my friends in the UK have watched for ages. I was reintroduced when the new episodes began on PBS a few years ago with the Ninth Doctor (Chris Eccleston) and only watched because I loved him in Heroes. That got me hooked again, and I watched all of those and the series with the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant). I've seen one of two with the new doctor (not fond of him, he's too young and makes me feel old.. ). I've also just started watching Torchwood (which spun off of Dr. Who during David Tennant's series). Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who. I actually like it better than Dr. Who, but that's just me.

If you can find it, start with "Rose", it's the episode that introduces Chris Eccleston as the new Doctor, and he explains who he is and the whole time lord thing.

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Love Doctor Who!!!! His ship is named the TARDIS. He is a Time Lord and he travels with a companion. They visit different planets and different time periods on Earth. He saves the world a lot.

I started watching a few years ago when David Tennant (see my avatar) was The Doctor.

The current episodes will be on BBC on Saturday nights. They are on hiatus right now. I'm not sure when new episodes start.

I agree, start with the Chris Eccelston episodes.

Oh, and Blink is a really good episode. The Angels have to be the scariest of all Doctor Who monsters!!!!!