Literacy workstations for 5th grade - ProTeacher Community

BrookeMc

Literacy workstations for 5th grade
Old 05-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted this on the 5th grade board but I also wanted to try here.

Does anyone use literacy workstations in their 5th grade classroom? If so, would you mind sharing how you set them up, what they are like, and any other important information about them. I have taught 5th for the last three years, but have not taught reading except for my 1st year. However, this next year, I will be teaching a reading class to our intensive group or our strategic group of students. The overall class is supposedly weak. Thank you!!

BrookeMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

Yes!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Find Debbie Diller's book "Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6"

I use this as my language arts block.

We do a lot of practicing at the beginning of the year. I teach each station separately. We try one at a time as a whole class, then we try one rotation before we go back to whole group, the next day two... the next day more. Till we can handle it as a group.

I have some stations that I keep the same all year:
  • Never Ending Story -- started a blank notebook, the kids add a paragraph or two to the story and pick up where the last group left off.
  • Reading or Spelling or Wordstudy game -- scrabble, upwords, triversity (like scrabble with cards), boggle, reading comp games that I make with cardstock, anything on this end
  • Newspaper
  • Letter Writing -- school mail letters

And others that change, spelling or math or ss depending on what we need practice with.

During this time my spec ed taecher and I each pull reading groups and do guided reading -- practicing a skill that we've previously done a whole group lesson on.

Right now we're forming groups and assigning the stations to them. The timer on my smart board is up and we switch when it resets. I would like to get them reading in pairs and self-selecting groups/activities but haven't gotten that worked in yet.

Does this help?
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

BrookeMc

Thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much!! I have a friend who also recommended the book, and she has one I can borrow!!
BrookeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
lateacher520

lateacher520

workstations
Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

D. Diller is from my former district and I use these workstations in my classroom as well. I suggest adding a TO DO list in each station so students can check off what they have completed from day to day. This TO DO list can also be utilized as a large chart in the front of the room for seatwork assignments. It helps with organization during guided reading.

new2fifth

5th Grade Stations
Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi BrookeMc- I teach in a high poverty school, and tried implementing centers last year. I soon realize it didn't work for me. I was over working myself to "create STUFF" and the majority of the students were not successful in completing the stuff on their own or they didn't care/didn't want to do it. I changed my philosophy after reading The Book Whisperer and Daily 5/CAFE- on top of reading this great board. After these books and this board, I ended with a classroom of low level readers who finally LOVED to READ, and made huge gains.

I will say though that this is just my personal philosophy, and if centers work for you and your classroom, then more power to ya!

Here are some of the resources I used last year for creating centers:

*look on these boards for center management ideas- you will find a ton.

Tons of great printables:
http://www.mrsvandyke.com/filecabinet.htm

http://www.catawba.k12.nc.us/c_i_res...evelopment.htm

http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/stude...ivities45.shtm

http://sites.google.com/site/fun2tea...eracy&language
-->scroll down to the bottom for center materials

new2fifth is offline   Reply With Quote