Reading Corner - ProTeacher Community

Smiles23

Reading Corner
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to set up a reading corner in my classroom where the kids can sit and read books or use the listening center. I want to make the space inviting for my kids and was thinking of trying to find some kind of bean bag chairs or cushions that the kids could sit on while reading. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this either. I was wondering what everyone else uses for their reading corner/center.

Smiles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

originally I had a $25 garage sale chair...you know, the old time armchairs. Then my grandma was getting rid of hers so I got a newer one. My friend traded me some carpet for my garage sale chair. I bought 2 bean bags at Target ($25 each). I caught a sale on pillows, $2 each. So my reading corner has carpet, a chair, and pillows.

My room is almost done then I will take pictures.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The first thing that I used were the child sized boogie boards. I bought them at CVS at the end of summer for like $2 each. I kept them in a tub and te kids would get them out during reading.

I also had stools from the Target college section that I used In college but still got on sale for $5 each.

Some teachers that I know ask students to bring in a beach towel. They can get it out of their cubby and sprawl out on it.

Even allowing students to sit under their desk like a cave is really exciting for the
!
There are also the crates that people make with a fabric covered plywood lid.
Rockin1stgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I made pillows
Old 07-26-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

out of pants that were too big (benefit of losing weight). I cut off the pant legs, then glue gunned one end together, stuffed it with stuffing from Walmart ($15 for a big bag (Canadian)) then glued the other end together. From the one bag of stuffing, I made 7 pillows. The kids loved them. This summer I made some from my daughter's pants that she had outgrown and others I found in my closet.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

reading corner
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Be on the lookout for end of the season sales for child sized beach chairs.

liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

rSquirrel

Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I put in some cheap cushions and a $20 bean bag chair in my reading corner. I also have a rocking chair in my room and more cushions at a low table where kids can work.
rSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Reading corner
Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really want a couple of these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Zone-...Glaze/10926699
They are just so fun!

And I would like back rest pillows, because they're great for reading...something like this:
http://www.kmart.com/joe-boxer-bed-r...&blockType=G21

I have this and I LOOOOVE it:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80172262/

I wish I had more space in my room to set up a library. I have no corners because the room has three doors and the fourth corner is where my small group area fits. But I do love my little 4x4 rug.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

cla1stgrteach

reading corner
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a couple folding chairs like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Blue/20642314

I also have a couple super soft pillows. I had the chairs & pillows when I taught 2nd grade. This year (my first year in 1st grade) I think I may add a few stuffed animals.
cla1stgrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles23

Love the ideas
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Smiles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Stuffed animals
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have those too - I forgot about that. I have stuffed animals that are book characters - Clifford (he's the favorite), Biscuit, Pete the Cat, Horton the elephant, the mouse and pig from the "If You Give a...." books. The kids LOVE them. My next purchase will be Elephant and Piggie (Mo Willems).
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Kohls is selling Skippy Jon Jones stuffed cat
Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and books to match $5 each. My team mate bought me one as a prize. My quiet listening and reading corner has a rug, two stuft animals (huge ant and bee from IKEA a few yrs bk) pillows (I covered old pillows with new fabric) Just stapled the ends since I was in a hurry! I also had a smaller book rack a tchr gave me, so I always put non-fiction, Zoonooz and ZooBooks in there to help define the area. FYI: I re-discovered a huge chunk of yardage that I bought at a thrift store for $2 and put it on one long bulletin board.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

scarf_and_mit

Lawn Chairs
Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Check Big Lots for kids' chairs. They sell kid lawn chairs for less than $10 and kid-sized saucer chairs for $15.
I used to have bean bag chairs but recently switched to a saucer chair, a cushy rug, and a little side table ($13 at WalMart). I added a lamp and plan to have my kiddos bring in framed pictures of their families to put on top of my bookcases. My room is also super tall, so I want to hang some paper lanterns (Dollar Tree for $1 if I can find them again this year...otherwise, I'll get a set from amazon) to bring the feeling down low to make it cozier... I LOVE my library...it's my favorite place in my classroom!
scarf_and_mit is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

I have an out of style
Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

couch but sooooo comfy! I purchased it from a thrift store, it was very clean and in great shape. Some schools don't allow soft furniture, I don't know about yours but we can pretty well decorate as we like. I also have a bean bag chair, pillows and a smaller couch and cloth chairs as well as a miniature stuffed jeans material chair, standing lamps interspersed with the furniture. Rugs in the center of all the furniture. It all makes a rectangle with 2 insides of the rectangle being shelves of books and the other two insides, furniture. It is a cozy, popular spot to be.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote